“Conveniently located”
Review of HCC Montblanc

HCC Montblanc
Ranked #232 of 519 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Hotel is well placed for visiting main attractions. Rooms are clean and comfortable but those overlooking main road are noisy. Staff ok and breakfast ok too. It is nothing special but we didn't spend much time in it. Pool is not much bigger than my bath but again wasn't going to use it anyway. My husband had told staff it was a trip for a special birthday but they didn't mark it which he was disappointed about

Room Tip: Avoid one facing road
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank theploppys
Write a ReviewReviews (1,078)

Reviewed 15 June 2014

We stayed at the HCC Montblanc as a group. The check in was quite slow as everyone had to show their passport and it had to be registered, but I guess that is a standard procedure and they were really doing all to make it as fast as possible. The service was great, they were always happy to help and welcoming us back with a smile.
The rooms were very clean, a bit dated, but they have updated their textiles so it gives a fresh look to the rooms. All that is needed is there. Big closets, big bathroom, minibar, tv. We had a big window to the Via Laietana and there was absolutely no noise in the room, very good windows! The beds were great and the AC worked perfectly.
The pool area was a nice place to sit and have a drink. The pool is quite small, but nice and refreshing on a hot day.
The only minus probably was the piano bar's service. Incredibly slow. Really nice people working there, but it really seemed they did not know anything about the job at all. Even looking for a bottle of water took about 5 minutes, offering tonic instead of sparkling and I ended buying still.
The breakfast was great, a lot to choose from, very yummy pastries! Excellent coffee.
All in all, it might not be the fanciest hotel, but it is really a very good hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Virpi V
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We booked this hotel as part of a cruise package, so we didn't have a lot of control over choices. However, I've booked packages before, so I wasn't expecting five stars.

I was actually pleasantly surprised.

The staff is used to English-speakers (but with cruise ships dumping buses of tourists, this should not be surprising.)

One life lesson I learned from business travel - learn how to say "Good morning, Good evening, Please, Thank you, and Do you speak English?" in the local language before you leave home. (In France, know how to apologize for not speaking French.) Just trying their language will buy you a lot of points, especially if you're surrounded by "ugly Americans". We were. Sometimes, just saying "Buenos Dias. Como estas?" will pay dividends. I think it happened for us.

Here's what bumped my rating up - we had a rather complex situation, in that we had been in a two-bedroom suite on the ship - my wife, my Mom, and myself. So, by some strange logic, the cruise line booked us a triple room. Now, I love my Mom and she and my wife have a very good relationship, but in the suite, we had our own rooms, and now we were just going to have our own beds. So, I went on their website and booked my Mom her own room.

So, when we checked in, we had one triple room from the cruise line, and a single room from my booking. The rooms ended up on completely different sides of the hotel. I really wanted the rooms in close proximity, since Mom doesn't really like being on her own in a strange place.

I was told that wasn't possible. I tried. I failed. So it goes.

So, Mom went off to one tower and we went off to the other. As we started to unload suitcases, we asked the porter to remove the extra bed (it was a triple, remember?) As he got the bed out of the room, the phone rang. The front desk had found a room three doors down from Mom, at the end of the hall. As we hadn't unpacked, we just had the porter put the luggage back on the cart and moved to our new room.

Major kudos to our porter for his willingness to just reload everything he had just unloaded and move us to the other side of the hotel. No complaints. Impressive.

To me, this was above and beyond. Meeting special requests for someone on a bulk rate package is not something I would expect. This is worth a star or more on its own.

Our room was a decent size, especially for Europe, clean, with a nice view of the patio. As some others have mentioned, the hair dryer is a European standard, which is not good (according to my wife.) It is pretty bad, but they're everywhere.

Mom's room was small, but comfortable - it was a true single room.

The hotel has a restaurant which hosts a large breakfast buffet, which was included with our room. My breakfast is usually just coffee, which was excellent. Mom and my wife both enjoyed the variety of options. At dinner, there is a very limited menu - I think it is whatever the chef finds in the market that day, and nothing enticed us, so we skipped it.

There is a bar which is small, but next to a large sitting room with lots of natural light. We would sit there in the afternoon, have a drink and read or plan the next day's activity. The staff was amazing. The furniture could use an update, but it was passable.

The floors are not carpeted, which is good from a cleanliness standpoint, but it also means there isn't much sound muffling. Noise in the hallway is easily heard in the rooms.

My wife mentioned if there are more than four people in the elevator, they better be related. I would just say if you have two Americans, you'd better have two older Europeans, and then you may all fit. Snugly.

Do not expect a lot of available electrical outlets. The front desk found us an extension cord, but I was glad we packed converters and a power strip. I use a C-PAP, so I need an outlet close to the bed and without the extension cord, I would have been sleeping with my feet near the headboard. (This has happened before in Europe.)

WiFi was fine - I had a phone, laptop and iPad and my wife had her iPad and phone. Of course, all those devices need charging, so the scarcity of outlets arose again. (Pack a power strip and a universal converter. Trust me.) We used the WiFi to find a place to eat after we didn't want the restaurant's options.

Some of these may sound like complaints, but I've stayed in hotels all over Europe, and I've paid more to have the same issues. So, more an observation than a complaint.

The hotel is within walking distance of Las Ramblas. Before you get there, you will see a plaza where all the tour buses congregate. There are banks with ATMs in the area, as well. A reasonable amount of restaurants are close by, including a couple within the same block. (If you're American and afraid of local cuisine, I saw a Burger King, and the Hard Rock is around the corner.)

For what we paid, I think it was a good deal, especially with the breakfast included. It's a nice hotel in a good location.

Room Tip: The singles are perfect for solo travelers who won't be in the room much.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank DallasKJG
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights after a cruise. We were able to drop our bags and sight see in the morning. The room was very nice - a comfortable bed, nice bathroom and big TV. The location is wonderful - close to the Metro station and Placa Catalunya. All in all I would stay here again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ken H
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We only stood in this hotel one night before our cruise & were initially concerned after reading some reviews. But all turned out well! Hotel is centrally located & you can walk to some of Barcelonas beautiful sites. Front desk was pleasant , room was simply but clean.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank herrera139
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Me and my boyfriend were in Barcelona for 6 days and stayed in HCC Montblanc hotel, which was great choice. First of all the position. You can see almost all attractions walking from the hotel.
Nice and helpful staff (we had a problem in our room and they resolve it in a minute).
All this things make this hotel worth to visit and we would recommend this hotel to everybody.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank vol2party
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Stayed for 4 nights late April. Hotel is in a central location and the rooms are clean and what you would expect. Although the pool wasnt open we were able to sit around the area which was a bonus as the weather was lovely. The only down side was the service in the breakfast room. The breakfast is very good but the service and organisation really needs looked at. Seems to take the staff an age to clear the tables, replenish cups, hot water etc and really none of the breakfast staff seem to have any customer care - it appeared that the customers were an inconvenience, which is why I have only given 4 stars.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends