“Booked HCC Regente and was moved to this one”
Review of HCC St. Moritz

HCC St. Moritz
Ranked #239 of 518 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I originally booked the HCC Regente and was "upgraded" to this one. I think they just overbooked but at least I was still in the HCC chain. The reception called a taxi and paid for it for the inconvenience. This hotel was a little more upscale than the Regente but the location is excellent. The room was a decent size and clean. I always felt safe around the area and when entering the hotel at night. There's a security guard at night and doorman in the day. Reception was always professional and courteous. Just a couple of things that made me rate it 4 not 5 stars. First is that you have to pay a fee in order to use the room safe (8 Euros). I was booked for 3 nights and was only given a wifi code for 48 hrs. The mini bar fridge kept things cool not cold. Other than that, I was barely in the room all day, since I was out. I will recommend this hotel for couples and business travelers.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank N D

Reviewed 27 September 2013

Just got back and had a fantastic time. We had booked HCC Regente but got moved on arrival. Very cross at the time because I wanted the roof top pool but I don't think we would have had time to use it. So much to do and most in walking distance. Metro very easy to use and the T10 ticket- 10 trips and you can share very useful. The breakfast was good especially the omletes but only cheese or ham to chose from. The room was large and clean but a tiny bath! The reception staff were good even printed our vouchers when booked on line for La Sagrada Familia- saved a three hour queue!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a large room.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Julie B
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I stayed at St Moritz in August having booked a double room for a single person stay. In reality the only thing double about the room was the bed size, the bed accessable from one side only as the other was necessarily against a wall. The room was thus cramped which given the hotel cost was disappointing.
Additionally the fabulous restaurant which I was looking forward to having read reviews was closed for August excepting breakfast. In summary location fantastic right near the centre, clean, good service, but for the money there are similar hotels with better facilities readily available.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Had a couple of nights at the St Moritz. This is well located. If you're up for walking (which is pretty much the point of being in Barcelona) then the St Moritz is close to the Placa de Catalunya and so to La Rambla. Or turn right out of the hotel and you can take the Via Laietana and go straight down into the Gothic Quarter. Fabulous stuff. Loads of neighbourhood cafes nearby so you can get a desayuno for the grand price of three euros. Also, the highly regarded Tapas 24 is just over the road: can't speak for it beacuse we ran out of time. Maybe next time.

As to the hotel itself...it has underground parking at a reasonable rate. It is grand and spacious in reception. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was colossal: a good 5m by 5m, I'd say. Very smart bathroom, plenty of storage, free wifi. All good: nothing quirky or boutique but a very restful and comfortable place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2013

If you want spacious, comfortable, clean hotel in a lovely location in Barcelona then I would definitely recommend this hotel. 1) Location: We took the A1 bus from the Airport, which cost about 10 euros return per person, to the centre of Barcelona, Catalunya, then the Hotel is just a few minutes walk from there. The Hotel is located in a nice quiet street, but so close to all the lovely shops, restaurants and the famous street La Rambla. The beach, Barceloneta, is 30 minutes walk away, lovely walk through old city or take bus no. 39 down and 17 back. 2) Hotel: We were a family of four so booked two rooms and requested them to be next to each other. On arrival we were very pleased to be given two very spacious connecting rooms on the fourth floor (junior suite), which were really nice and we all loved it. However, I have to say that the kids ended up in the main front, prettier room, because it had the two single beds and the other room without the view had the double. Reception staff were good, especially Mika who was very friendly and helpful. Breakfast in the hotel was ok, cold breakfast, very similar every day, and I would definitely recommend to the hotel to improve the Quality and Variety a bit, because from my humble experience this is a not a four star breakfast. Also, wireless signal was poor in rooms. 3) Eating out: Plenty of places near by, and I agree with other reviewers about Tapas 24, which is opposite the hotel, that is good, however, we also found QU QU, next to hotel too, to be nice and more pleasant to sit in. Also we have enjoyed eating at Wok to Walk, at La Rambla, next to the Market, and there is a nice sweet shop there too called Escriba. If budget is tight then you will also find next to Wok to Walk a supermarket Carrefour. If you are at the Barceloneta beach then I would recommend trying making your own sandwiches using the lovely warm bread, baguette from the Spar supermarket or getting a lovely pizza/calzone/pasta/ from La Tagliatella. Also the food on the top floor of the shopping centre at the beach, near the Aquarium, Moll D'Espanya, is worth a try. Have a lovely time!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 August 2013

On a short break, we wanted to be as central as possible and close to transport.
the airport bus dropped us close by and we had a choice of metro lines to use, though we walked to most places. the area is upmarket, safe and quiet. we were on a higher floor and had a nice view down the street. the outside terrace was not often open when we were there which was a shame. the staff were helpful, polite and professional. Buffet breakfasts were fine, but the breakfast room was a bit dark. i would go back and recommend to others

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2013

On arrival at HCC Horitz, we were pleased that the hotel lobby and bedroom reflected its four- star rating, then things quickly turned sour. We requested a quiet bedroom when booking and reiterated this on arrival to later find out that we were allocated a room right next to next doors noisy air conditioning unit. We informed the receptionist and he told us that he could move us to a quieter room the following day, as the hotel was full. What a terrible nights sleep! For a full hotel consisting of 93 bedrooms, it's funny that my sister and I only saw one or two other people all day and evening; It was more like the housekeepers did not want to add another used room to their cleaning list!

Two room moves later and no Wi-Fi connection at all in the final quieter bedroom, we gave up complaining and settled for no internet on the ground floor room. The receptionists that we dealt with were unhelpful and incompetent. The manager was unfriendly and unwelcoming. On check out, the receptionists tried to charge us for five mini bar items when we did not even consume one! My sister and I were sad to leave Barcelona as the location was perfect, but we were certainly happy to leave this hotel.

I do not recommend HCC Horitz if you require a helpful and efficient four-star service. Also ladies, if a well lit room is needed for applying make-up etc, I also do not recommend as the three rooms that we saw, were only lit with lamps and no main light. The doorman, bar staff and cleanliness of the bedrooms were fantastic but the reception staff and the general manager really let the hotel down.

Room Tip: Do not stay in a ground floor room (there are only three) if you require internet connection. Beware...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family