“Excellent Hotel”
Review of Catalonia Born

Catalonia Born
Ranked #43 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 18 April 2014

This hotel is excellent - conveniently situated near Arc de Triomf, and within walking distance of Catalonia Square (where the Airport and tourist busses depart)/ Las Ramblas and Sagrada Familia. The rooms are very comfortable with excellent showers and room safety deposit boxes. The front desk staff were exceptionally helpful with queries and assisting with onward travel arrangements.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank O4861
SoniaMatheuBarcelona, Director General at Catalonia Born, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Dear costumers,

We appreciate the comments made about the hotel.
We are pleased that you enjoyed some nice days and that the area where the hotel is located you liked.
Again, I reiterate my thanks, hoping to be able to welcome you on your next visit to Barcelona.
BORN HC

There are newer reviews for Catalonia Born

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Me and my friend stayed here for 4 days whilst visiting the wonderful city of barcelona.
We arrived early hours of the morning and was greeted immediately by the reception who was very helpful and sorted our room out immediately
Once we got to our room we couldn't complain at all! The bed was huge and so comfy!! The room is white modern in style and this best pleased us.
The bathroom was lovely.. Having a bath with shower and also a shower on its own. Even in peak hours the shower was brilliant in temperature and pressure.
The safe was for immediate use without deposit needed. The tv was mostly in Spanish even though it had satellite but when are you really going to watch tv on a holiday!
Complimentary tea and other hot drinks are topped up daily whilst a minibar is already stacked. Though we didn't use it, it can be convenient for others.
The location I thought was perfect. Not far from anything at all. Quite central to go in any direction to somewhere in the city. Only a 10 min walk to gothic quarters and 20 min walk to beach.
15 min walk to the zoo etc..
Our room looked over the street but it was very lovely as you get to watch the city life walk by below!!
The pool on the roof was goregous and looked over all the city, it was amazing to see all the different architectures.
I would definitely return to the hotel as for the price we paid was very very excellent service.

Room Tip: Push for an upgrade if your a couple or celebrating as though we didn't do it. They can make you...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ronnie1106
SoniaMatheuBarcelona, Director General at Catalonia Born, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Dear costumers,

We appreciate the comments made about the hotel.
"El Born" is now one of the trendiest neighborhoods of Barcelona, since it converge on culture, fashion, tourism, food, etc.. It is an area well served by public transport and is next to the city center.
BORN HC

Reviewed 12 March 2014

We stayed at the hotel just recently for 4 nights. The location is very good, full of nice restaurants around. It is not in the old town, but very close, walking distance and honestly the neighbourhood of St Pere is very nice and cultural.
They do have a small swimming pool, which we didn’t use neither see so we can’t comment about those facilities, but all the rest is very nice.
The rooms are big enough and comfortable, the bathroom very big.
Breakfast very good. The rate at 10 euros is reasonable, since Barcelona is expensive, I do not think there is any point to have it outside.
The staff very friendly and professional, and gave us some good tips in where to eat, etc.
The rate of the hotel also very good value for money. Internet connection was good, probably not as good to talk through skype, but fine.
I would recommend it and when we come back to Barcelona this would be a first choice for us.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank jumanufer

Dear Sirs,
Thank you very much for the comments made after your visit last month!.
Reiterating my thanks, warmest regards,

Reviewed 10 March 2014

The hotel has a good location although it is not easy to get to it with a car/taxi. The breakfast options are basic, but quality compensates for lack of variety. Rooms are OK, mine was quite large but that was in good part doe to its strange shape/location.

The poor taste is left by the quality of the service. If I ask for an iron and an ironing board in a 4* hotel the last thing I expect is to be asked to go pick it up from downstairs. To be also asked to sign for receiving it was even more insulting. And all that for an old and barely functional iron.

The pool is there to check an item on the list, only pigeons would be impressed by its size. No fitness center.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear Sir,

First of all, sorry that the stay in our hotel was not as good as it deserves.
Our main interest is that our client is comfortable and pleasant days pass.
The theme that tells us of the iron, I wanted to mention that we have 2 iron free of charge to our customers, but to be a 4 star hotel, there is no obligation to have this service.
However, we have a laundry service which handles serve our customers and to wash or iron clothes that leave us.
Waiting to welcome you on a future trip to Barcelona,
Yours very sincerely,

Reviewed 2 March 2014

I stayed at the Born on business, so wasn't there perhaps as would be on holiday. But nice hotel. Rooms are not flash, but have all you would need. My room was overlooking the street, which was nice as it had a Juliet balcony and was nice to relax with the window open and take in the local sounds.

Nice helpful staff. Good breakfast. And right opposite really nice bar/tapas place that we went to a couple of times.

Good location - 2 minutes walk to the metro and only 20 minutes walk to Rambla.

Room Tip: Good bar/tapas directly opposite. Great to fall into after walking the streets of Barcelona, or just...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank DebbieDLondon
SoniaMatheuBarcelona, Director General at Catalonia Born, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Dear Sirs,
I appreciate the time you've spent to write a few lines about our hotel.
We're glad you've had a good stay and we would like to welcome you on your next visit to the city.
Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed 2 March 2014

I looked at three rooms before getting one that I loved. I had asked for a non smoking quiet room and so the first room i was given had no windows, it was sort of in the middle of the hotel, and I was there for 6 nights. This was because my last hotel had building works going on but i also wanted natural light. So the very accommodating receptionist took me on a tour of rooms. The other two were near building works (in December 2013). So I ended up with a great room, with balcony overlooking the street. It was a smoking room but didn't smell at all. The bed was huge and the bathrom a good size with the bathroom having a bath with shower and a separate shower. I read a couple of reviews and people seemed to think that this street was a bit noisy but it wasn't loud music or anything just the chatter and laughter of folk dining and people strolling down the street. I've had worse! The hotel was in walking distance to everything I wanted to see. It was clean, there were some English programmes on tv and they had a bar downstairs and great staff.
My breakfast was included and there was a great buffet selection. I really enjoyed my stay there.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank huntinginthejungle

Dear Costumer,
Thank you very much for the time you've spent to write a few lines about our hotel.
I'm glad that the room was to your liking and have passed a pleasant stay.
Hoping to give it back to you welcome a trip to Barcelona,
​​Sincerely,
SOnia Matheu

Reviewed 24 February 2014

The booking worked fine. The receptionist explained all the tariff details, except for the local charge that was to pay at the end of the stay. Luckily it was already mentioned during the booking. And we got a voucher for a welcome drink. The Breakfast was on special for €10 instead of €16. A medium range buffet with local elements like chorizo, pastry, etc.

The room itself was small but okay, with a small window showing to the east. They use a cleaning product with a artificial flowery smell, that I didn't like and I found a living insect that usually lives in the ground in the bathtub. A short while after having turned on the ventilation I got an asthma attack (allergy-type), which points to an insufficient use/maintainance. At one time there was noise for 15 min from a restaurant moving bottles and we could faintly but clearly hear the staff elevator moving (bearable).

The location is close to Arc de Triomf, on the rim of the old town with the most interesting objects mostly in walking distance or easily reachable by metro.

Would I return next time? - Probably not: It was okay, but not good enough that I refused to try some other place.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank filousoph

Dear Customer
First I wanted to thank you for the time you have spent writing a few lines about our hotel.
I regret that your stay there not lived up to their expectations. Our main goal is that our guests feel very welcome and if you encounter any questions, we can do at the moment to provide solution to any possible inconvenience.
Hoping to be able to greet you in the next visit to Barcelona,
​​Sincerely,