“Perfect for student getaways”

Equity Point Gothic - Hostel Barcelona
Ranked #181 of 759 Speciality Lodging in Barcelona
Dublin, Ireland
“Perfect for student getaways”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Met our needs as we wanted cheap and cheerful accomadation. The staff were very friendly and accomadating. Great breakfast choice and enough to keep you ticking over until. Central location and easy to get to and from the airport. The only downside would be that the rooms were shared out poorly, old men being able to see young girls sleep isnt ideal. Overall, fine for student holidays!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 25 July 2013 via mobile

The location is great and there's free breakfast BUT....

We checked in and were shown to our beds, which were on the top "bunk" - which was really a shelf built onto the wall. This part was fine, until we went to climb up and realized that not only had they crammed two mattresses into the space where every other person only had one bed, but there was clothes, trash and crumbs in the bed leftover from the person before!! The receptionist was embarrassed and hurriedly tried to clean up our beds. My friend and I were traveling together, so sharing the bed space was fine for us, but had it been some stranger crawling in I would've not been comfortable at all. They only give you one sheet as well.

Also, there were people having sex in a bed below us for the majority of the night but that's the people staying there and not the hostel's fault - although you can buy condoms from a vending machine in the hallway!!

• Stayed July 2013

Travellers are raving about these Barcelona hotels

london
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Equity point is located in the best part of town in terms of sight seeing. Not only is it in the gothic quarter right next to the picasso museum and santa maria del mar, it is 10 minutes from the beach, 10 mins from las ramblas and you will hardly need to take the metro anywhere! The location is honestly second to none and if you're looking to explore Barcelona at ease, this is your place.

Although i'm not a pessimistic person i must agree with prior reviews that it is very difficult to sleep here, but when sharing a room with many people you should probably expect a certain amount of noise anyway. The only other complaint i can make is that the rooms are SOO dark. You could wake up at 3pm and assume it's still the middle of the night because the rooms just have no natural light whatsoever.

Equity point gothic do organise some fantastic free walking tours and i would take advantage of these as they are very informative and save you a lot of hassle. Particularly the Gaudi tour! It's hard to miss the essence of Barcelona in this hostel as they give you so much info on what's available.

In terms of eating there are loads of places to eat (head towards santa maria for the best ones) I would like to recommend one called "cheese me" which is on the pavillion near to santa maria del mar, who do a 3 course meal for £15. get the burger, it's absolutely delicious!

Another good place to eat is the 1 euro tapas place. Ask at reception they should know where it is.

To conclude, the hostel is in the ideal location, considering this and the price, the small pitfalls are bearable.

Room Tip: you should ask from a room by the window!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Aleks19
Toledo, Castilla-La Mancha, Spain
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Equity Point Gothic is an excellent choice for travelers on a budget. The location is fantastic (only 10 or so minutes from the cathedral, beach, and las ramblas), and it's super easy to find. The workers were friendly and very helpful. There were bunches of maps, guides, and books that gave us a good idea of what the city had to offer. As far as the rooms go, I had a top bunk in one of the larger rooms of 16 or so...climbing up and down was a bit of a challenge with all of my stuff. Nonetheless, the mattress was comfortable and I appreciated the curtains. The floor did squeak a bit, so I would recommend bringing some ear plugs or listening to some music to fall asleep to. There were enough bathrooms and showers (both of which were very clean), and the breakfast was fantastic. Overall, I would definitely stay here again, but only if I had a bottom bunk!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Stittsville, Canada
Reviewed 12 February 2013

This was my second time staying here - the first was in 2009 when I was backpacking solo around Europe, and enjoying the party life. This trip was with my wife to show her Barcelona, so I booked three nights here, recalling my previous stay.

Firstly, it's conveniently located off the metro, and a short walk to the old gothic town and the beach. A great base of operations, with a very friendly staff.

The facilities are good too - a big common room, plenty of showers/bathroom space, and you have more privacy in the upper bunks than most other hostels. Plus if you're a couple, they give you a double-wide bunk instead of having to sleep separately, or in a single bed.

The downside: As other have mentioned, you won't sleep. The rooms are noisy, the floor boards always creak - especially in the upper bunks - and people will be turning on and off lights at all hours, waking you up. It's mainly for young partyers, who come back at 4-5am, and then crash. Either drunk or exhausted enough to sleep through anything.

The place has good service and free wifi in the lobby, as well as a free breakfast. Very basic, but you can't beat free at a hostel.

We ended up staying one night during which we got back at 1am to groups drinking and talking loudly in our room, who then left leaving their bunk lights on. After not sleeping at all, despite an eye mask, earplugs, and even listening to my iPod, we gave up and I booked us into a hotel (see AC Sants review).

Despite my experience - I must be getting old - it's still a place I highly recommend for backpackers!

Room Tip: If you're a couple, send an email requesting a large bunk so that you get a double bed. Upper b...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jeff R
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2013

Equity Point Gothic was my first option for this trip as I'd used Equity Point Girona several times before.

I was staying two nights and on arrival it was all that I'd hoped for. The staff spoke excellent English, making up for my weak Spanish. I was given a quick run down of the rules and everything was explained about breakfast times etc.

I'd chosen a mixed dorm and each bed had privacy curtains, locker, a night light and electric socket. The beds was comfy and I had no qualms about leaving some belongings on top of the locker.

The communal lounge area was in the process of being painted but there were still plenty of tables and seats available to sit and eat at, or consult a map or read. There was amplelocal information available. Internet Access is available and there are 3 or four vending machines. The toilet/shower areas were spotless.

If there was a downside to my visit, it was the noise created by other guests, usually letting the door close without closing it quietly but there's nothing the Hostel can do about that. My sleep was interupted but I always managed to roll over and continue sleeping.

The location is very good, two minutes from the Metro - Jaume I, a five minute walk to the Marina area and ten minutes to Placa Catalunya in the other direction.It's handy for the Zoo and Parliament of Catalunya.

Would I stay here again ? Yes, but only after trying the other two Equity Point hostels in Barcelona.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed 13 November 2012

I went here off season. Rooms are good and they have even curtains for privacy. Bathroom where outside of the room. They had enough toilets. The showers where hot and well equipped. There was no free internet, and not a lot of ambiente, be it in the rooms or in the lobby.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends