“Boutique gem right off La Rambla” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel DO

Hotel DO
Ranked #8 of 522 Hotels in Barcelona
Mexico City, Mexico
“Boutique gem right off La Rambla”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2013

This is one of my favorite hotels ever. Period. First and foremost, the staff provided flawless service and responded to all of my requests with zero pretense or fuss. The hotel overlooks the Plaça Reial, which is buzzing with activity day and night yet is buffered from the throngs of tourists along La Rambla. The 18-room boutique hotel and its outdoor restaurant engage this public space naturally yet maintain the proper degree of privacy. The rooms are well appointed yet uncluttered. I especially liked the inset wooden desk. The staff arranged for me to use the hotel spa on short notice, and all of the facilities were spotless.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank MountainsPlease

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Quarryville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2013

Cannot think of a single negative about the stay at this hotel. The concierge service was tremendous, room was excellent, breakfast was great & the location cannot be beat! Each afternoon they left treats in the room, chocolate covered strawberries, cookies or fresh apples were what we found on different days in the room. The robes and slippers and heated towel rack were an added bonus. Would highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Barcelona!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sgfoley
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2013

Great location and lovely hotel. Clean and cute rooms and friendly staff. Only one small complaint is the noise from the square can get too much on a Friday or Saturday night, but then it is a busy square right in the heart of the old town. Beautiful and boutique and recommended by me.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Julie P
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 4 nights, excellent boutique accommodation with really nice touches, great staff and a great quality food in the restaurant. Great location from which to explore Barcelona, would happily return and recommend it to anyone looking for a relaxing and memorable place to stay.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Runningthru
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2013

Last day of holiday. Dropped hire car at airport and took taxi into Barcelona, before catching plane next day. Hotel located in Plaza of same name. Lovely square. Boutique Hotel is lovely. Very attentive from moment we arrived, taking luggage to rooms as we enjoyed free welcome drink in lounge/bar area. The rooms were very comfortable with great shower. best bed and pillows and wonderful sleep. We met friend for dinner and dined in hotel's gourmet restaurant. Treated with complimentary cava. We had 40 euro set menu which was lovely. Wines were great but Priorat I choose was expensive! At the end of meal waiter introduced the Chef to us. Memorable stay. Expensive stay but wonderful treat with great service

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank jostony
Hereford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2013

Not a significant birthday, but a treat nonetheless. Reception staff, wonderfully welcoming, spotted the date from my passport and we were treated to a bottle of extremely good Cava next day. The restaurant was stylishly unostentatious and the food as impressive as the attentive, but not at all intrusive, service. Eating tapas on the terrace was also a delightful experience.

The room was comfortable and clean. Fresh fruit, chocolate treats, free mini bar of soft drinks all added to the feeling of luxury. And then there was the bathroom; beautifully fitted out and equipped with luxurious toiletries.

The jewel in the crown, though, was the staff. Nothing seemed too much trouble and there were always smiles. It is a wonderful place in a brilliant location and we will certainly be returning.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Notespinner
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

When I'm traveling on business, I'm a big fan of Four Seasons. I just want excellent and invisible service and bascically, as many of the creature comforts oh home as possible. But when traveling for pleasure, I prefer to be a "little closer to the ground". I want to know I'm NOT at home, but I don't want to sacrifice service, location or comfort. For this reason, I always seek out the best boutique hotel I can find. And WOW; this time I achieved a new high!

My husband and I and two teenagers spent four days in Barcelona during a three week trip to Spain in December (2012)/January (2013)

Hotel Do is, simply, perfect. A former youth hostel that underwent what must have been a tremendously costly reno and re-opened in it's current iteration in January? February? of 2013, it is 18 rooms of perfection. (Have I used that word often enough?) Located on the very busy and very centrally located Placa Reial, I suspected, regardless of what I read, that noise might be a bit of an issue, but I was willing to chance it, based on looks, reviews and location. First of all, they have nailed te noise issue. Shuttered windows blacked out not only all light, but all noise. Didn't hear a thing until we chose to. The ideal.

The rooms. What to say about the rooms. Dark hardwood flooring throughout both massive bedroom and massive bathroom meant we were traipsing around in (however clean) someone's else's DNA (yes, I'm one of those - lol). Beautiful white linens on the exceptionally comfortable king-sized bed, floor to ceiling, full-wall closets and a lovely little sitting area by the window (I'll attach a photo of the view from our room if I can figure out how) completed what is probably the "prettiest" and most functional hotel room I have ever stayed in.

The bathroom deserves it's own paragraph. The dark hardwood floors continue into the bathroom. A huge double vanity with ultra-modern, sleek and beautiful white sinks and fixtures gave of a very definite "spa" vibe. The rain-head shower, EASILY big enough for two people to shower together - errr....I think ......was a joy. Top-drawer amenities, (a selection of body soaps and shampoos - his and hers ) in pump bottles continued the spa feeling. And then we had the soaking tub. Not only the perfect size, but the perfect angle/slope to enjoy a good long read in the tub - a personal fave. At the far end of this already huge bathroom was the closed off toilet with a hammered (stainless steel?) door to ensure complete privacy.

Two quick and easy points that every other supposedly five star hotel could learn from. Every morning, a plate of chocolate-covered strawberries magically appeared in our room. And every evening, a plate a chocolate truffles. Small, but absolutely lovely gesture. Secondly, a pillow menu. THANK YOU GOD. I'm not as princessy as this may make me sound. I am 56 and have a neck that i would often like to disown. Having a choice of pillow firmnesses and filling was an ENORMOUS joy to me. I don't see that as often as I'd like and truly appreciate the extra effort and investment this option requires on the part of the hotel.

Service. Not ONCE did I call the front desk and wasn't immediately greeted by name. Not once did I make an enquiry that wasn't met with such genuine enthusiasm and - dare I say it - GRACE, that I finally asked what the secret was. Everyone seems so genuinely happy to be working there. Apparently the only "secret" is the family that owns the hotel genuinely wants everyone - including their employees - to be happy. This attitude was consistent throughout the hotel; front desk, bar, both restaurants.

The first night, exhausted, we elected to eat on the main floor outside dining patio. Three weeks in Spain (Madrid, Segovia, Barcelona, Toledo) and the Tapas we enjoyed there certainly ranked in the top four Tapas experiences of the trip. Coupled with a waiter who could not do enough for us and was happy to make recommendations whenever asked and we were seriously tempted to eat there again the next night. But we didn't let ourselves. And I still regret that.

This is already too long a review, but I have to add one small thing. Two mornings we chose to eat breakfast in the downstairs dining room which was almost empty. And both times enjoyed a beautiful meal. Only after we had left did we hear that there is a (apparently well-founded) rumour afoot that the dining room (again, the downstairs dining room) is already being whispered about in Michelin circles. While I can't attest to the verity of that rumour, nor did I have dinner in this dining room, I certainly didn't experience anything that would be inconsistent with one-star. Quite the opposite.

Bottom line: As much as I enjoy finding new and exciting boutique hotels, I would look no further when I return to Barcelona. For my money, this is simply as good as it gets. Period.

Room Tip: Ask for an iside room with a view to the courtyard. STUNNING.