“Heaven in the hills”

Gran Hotel La Florida
Ranked #184 of 515 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 16 July 2008

It was my 60th birthday and my dear wife wanted to treat me to a romantic long weekend to Barcelona. We chose La Gran Florida as our base and from the moment we arrived we knew we had made a great choice. Our welcome at the hotel was absolutely superb, check in efficient and friendly and service impeccable. Our room was stunning with views stretching miles. I could go on and on but both my wife and I agreed that this was the best hotel we had ever stayed at. In fact we loved it so much we didn't venture into Barcelona at all preferring to enjoy the hotel instead. The stainless steel pool, the secluded sun decks and the position high on a hill overlooking the whole of Barcelona are good enough reasons alone worth checking in. However, the food is as spectacular as the setting. Most important of all every member of staff from the manager to the bell hop made us feel really special. I have seen reviews refering to the hotel as expensive but I would prefer to describe it as exceptional value for money when you receive this level of service and quality. We have vowed to return at the earliest opportunity. After many years in the travel industry I strongly urge you to experience this wonderful hotel.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank deric

Reviewed 14 July 2008

-It is FAR FROM BARCELONA!!!not what they say on their website-at least 20-25 min
-The Shuttle is not Flexible
-Taxi Cabs (most) will not give you a rid up to Hotel
-It is Noisy -There is a Park Next to it
-The Rooms are Retro Fit
-The Food/Beverage so Expensive!!! a Burger is around 35 Dollars! and one Tea (Room service) is around 15 Dollars!
-They Charged Extra on My Credit Card without my approval!!! when my trip was prepaid, I had to deal with them for one month. No Apology, No Email Return

The good points:
-The Bathroom and Pool

• Stayed: May 2008
4  Thank Arktkt
Reviewed 8 July 2008

I was expecting a great hotel, and really got spotty service for the rates of 500+ euros we paid. My wife and I stayed over 10 days in La Florida, and yes the location is beautiful and the rooms are OK, but service was bad to terrible specially in the restaurant and in the room.

We had a huge leak in our junior suite (room 502), we reported this two days in a row, and nothing happenend. We did not even get an apology.

Turn down service was on and off, sometimes they closed the drapes and left water, and sometimes they forgot. our complementary arrival 'gift' if you can call it, was a bottle of water and the card didn't even have my name.

Finally, the restaurant service was poor and quite slow. The second morning, after paying 56 euros for a continental breakfast, we ordered some poached eggs. After 45 minutes we asked our waiter for the eggs again, and she literally said its not my problem, its the kitchen. My wife that worked at the Four Seasons for 5 years tells me that this would have been a suspension or firing of the waitperson. We did get our eggs after 1 hour.

Finally, their shuttle service only fits 6 people, they have 70 rooms, so you will really not get to downtown barcelona, so its 15 euros each way, to get to downtown. You can't walk it. So add this to your costs. Its not the cost, but just the nuisance to call a cab every day, and wait another 15 minutes.

So, you are better off staying at Hotel Arts, or the Majestic these are truly great and professional hotels.

The only highlight was a Brazilean lady in the concierge/reception staff, she did a great job for us in some difficult restaurant reservations.

Don't pay 500´Euros if you want only the view, you can go to the La Florida bar in the afternoon, have a great time, and pay 100 euros, and stay in a better hotel.

Regards,

Erik Seiersen

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gg011013
Reviewed 20 June 2008

I used Trip Advisor to learn about this hotel so I wanted to give-back to the Trip Advisor community. I booked this hotel as a special graduation gift for me and my 18-year-old niece. We were also joined by my friend. The three of us stayed in the charming roof terrace suite, featuring a private sun deck, views of the mountains and sea, and a wonderful bathroom. The rate was $966 Euros per night, per the rates quoted on the site.

Things that delighted us:

The room was wonderful and exactly as described on the website--large, modern, beautiful. Breathtaking views from the deck. Best ammenities ever--robes, slippers, chocolates, stereo system, L'Occitaine bath products. Free access to WIFI.

We liked the semi-remote location on the hill overlooking the city. We had just spent a week in the center of Madrid and it was nice to have several days up in the hills.

The staff was gracious, helpful and goodlooking. The young staff was very international with--we spoke to staffers from Spain, Mexico, Germany, Brazil, Venezuela, the United States, and Portugal. Communication was very easy.

The shuttle to-and-from the city from the hotel was very convenient. It gave us the freedom we wanted and security that we could get back without hassle.

The buffet breakfast was terrific, with a wide variety of fruits, breads, meats, fish, and sweets. Great service in a nice sunny atmosphere.

Nice spa treatments--book ahead of time by at least a day if you can so that the hotel may get the right type of spa specialist for you.

The pool area bar was wonderful during the day and evening. We sunned, swam, rested, drank and ate there several hours per day. In some ways we wasted the sun-deck in our room. We liked the atmosphere of the pool bar.

Things that could have been better:

The hotel is very intimate, which means you are really aware of the other people around you. During our stay there were two groups of business people staying at the hotel--a young group of Brits and a group of French representatives from the Dodge motor company. Whenever these groups came to breakfast or the pool bar their phones were ringing or they were powering up computers. This was slightly annoying because they changed the entire atmosphere of the restaurant or bar--seeing them made me think of work, when I was trying to relax on my vacation and not deal with phones and computers. On the day we were leaving, the hotel announced that they were closing the the pool bar area that night for a special event for the Dodge people. I'm glad we were leaving because that would have been annoying. There is no other place to hang out if the pool area is closed. I recommend that if you are looking for a quiet time here, check first to make sure no groups are staying in the hotel that week.

Overall, this was a wonderful experience and I look forward to returning in the future.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 May 2008

I booked the hotel through Lastminute for my boyfriends birthday but checked the reviews first on Tripadvisor. Lastminute have some great deals for this hotel which make this more affordable. The hotel is stunning so we felt really lucky to have got such a good deal as the prices normally are very high.

Room - beautifully decorated, with the biggest bed ever and crisp, expensive bedlinen. We were also lucky to have a room with views of Barcelona.

The Bar - I just had to mention this as we still talk about the Vodka Lemonades that we had there which were the nicest we had ever had and we have had a few!!

The downside is that you are a cab drive into the city but I prefer that rather than having a noisy hotel in the centre.

I would recommend everyone to stay at this hotel once in your lifetime.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2008

My wife and I enjoyed the first night of our honeymoon at this wonderful hotel in the hills above Barcelona. Staff was wonderful. Public areas of the hotel are beautifully done and the hilltop setting offers spectacular views of the city and the med.

We upgraded to a "Terrace Room" with hopes the terrace offered a nice place to enjoy the view. It doesnt. The terrace rooms have no view and are basically patios with fences. Very dissapointing as I think we would have had better views in a less costly room. That said, the bathroom and rainshower were great.

Restauraunt was good, not great. Service was very good throughout dinner but problem with a few ants in a dessert was handled poorly by management who rather than simply apologizing and offering a drink offered an excuse. We had a great time and were not banking on a freebie, but were a bit put off by the excuse.

Grounds and pool are beautiful. Church atop hill is beautiful and it is worth a climb to the top to see the views.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 April 2008

The setting is dramatic and as beautiful as at any hotel i've stayed at. The hotel is also lovely, though possibly trying a bit too hard on the boutique stakes (the pool, for instance, whilst it looks amazing and has a real wow factor, it feels its more like something to look at rather than something you would want to have a cool refreshing swim in).

The terrace is also amazing and generally the hotel oozes quality. Staff extremely good. Didn't have any meals other than breakfast here, but breakfast was decidedly average i thought.

Would i come here again? Yes definitely, on a romantic long weekend.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business