“We had a lovely stay”

Ranked #184 of 514 Hotels in Barcelona
London, United Kingdom
“We had a lovely stay”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

My partner and I stayed for three nights in October last year.

LOCATION: The hotel is a long way from the city centre, but we considered that a plus. There is a bus stop just outside the hotel with half hourly services to the funicular. Take a short funicular journey then change to the subway to get to the city centre. Sounds tedious but, really, it wasn't. If you plan your journey, all in all it takes just 35 minutes.

OUR ROOM/THE HOTEL: We both agreed we got a bargain. Our room was huge, clean, decorated neutrally but with some character, and our bed was comfortable. We had a big, lovely bathroom, and, yes some of the paint was peeling off the edges but with sweeping views of Barcelona through our bedroom windows, we weren't bothered!

A pool is a must for my partner and the hotel's one is particularly nice.

SERVICE: Staff were friendly and helpful, although not overbearing.

THE DOWNSIDE: There is nowhere to eat near the hotel and due to previous reviews, we didn't try the hotel restaurant.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Dorking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Although this review is a bit late coming, I wanted to say that we had a great time staying at the Gran Hotel La Florida during our honeymoon. Great views, delicious food, wonderful facilities and friendly staff. We couldn't have asked for much more.

A few points to note: it was a way out of the town, and although the ride there was a lot of fun, and taxis and metro meant it wasn't too difficult to get back to, it was a little more expensive than we anticipated. Also, the food was quite expensive, but not beyond us for a few evenings in at the hotel and a few room service breakfast treats, which we ate from our balcony over looking the city and the mediteranean.

While there, make sure you visit the nearby church and enjoy views from the top of their tower, as that's even better than the hotel!

Room Tip: Go for a sea view rather than a mountain view room if you can.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jonathan R
QMLaFlorida, Director General at Gran Hotel La Florida, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Dear Mr. Jonathan,

We would like to thank you for sharing your experience and letting us have your comments on your stay in August at Gran Hotel la Florida.

We strive very hard to try and meet our guests’ expectations and receiving feedback from our clients is really helpful and appreciated.
Nothing makes us happier than to know that we have achieved our objective which is no other than your satisfaction.

It is a pleasure to inform you that this February we started the shuttle service to and from the city center which will facilitate the access to the city for all our guests.

We are thankful for your time and I would be delighted to welcome you again at Gran Hotel la Florida should you return to Barcelona in the future.

Yours sincerely,

Miriam Cortijo
Nice, France
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Excellent hotel . Breathtaking view over the city from the room.
Excellent service . Very kind and professional staff. Great to enjoy the spa and the heated swimming pool after a day in Barcelona city.
I've already made another booking for my next stay in Barcelona.

Room Tip: Choose a room with city view.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel for a long weekend away. The views really make this hotel, we loved waking up to the view over Barcelona! The rooms were nice, although we did notice a few marks on the wall, scratches on the floor etc. We loved the inside pool area and used this every morning. Good hotel overall but wouldn't rush to go back :-)

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Becky W
South Coast
Reviewed 15 January 2014

This is a really nice hotel, impeccable, stylish, comfortable, elegant but at its heart I found it a bit mean.
It has everything a five star hotel should have, this price is really not bad, the views are stunning and once you have learnt it it really is easy to get into the city.
The pool is amazing if I was a multi billionaire I would have a replica built.
We went for my birthday at the end of October. I told them it was my birthday several times. I didn't get a happy birthday from anyone or even get the room I though I had booked and paid for. Having said that the room we had was fine and the bathroom brilliant..It just wasn't the room i thought I had booked but it was the same category.
A small bottle of water is 6 euros from the mini bar I thought this was mean as most hotels give you water these days all over the world.
If you do go please remember your binoculars for the view ..we regretted not taking ours.
I am surprised that a hotel of this category doesn't have directions to get into Barcelona printed out ready in several languages for guests. If you get your tickets in advance it costs only ONE EURO to get where you want go although you take the bus, the funicular and a train.
Finding out how wasn't so easy.
Breakfast in the restaurant was delicious the waiters were all attentive but allowed guests in with robes, bare feet and allowed them to play with the utensils to amuse their children and pinch their noses with them and then put them back among the croissants!!! I hope this doesn't happen when you go!
We would probably stay here again, the adventure to and from the city was quick and efficient and a taxi less than 20 euros although it you order one from the hotel it takes about 20 mins to arrive. i still found it a bit mean for a Leading Hotel of the World.

Room Tip: There are views of sorts to all sides but a city view really is stunning.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Enamelina
St. Louis
Reviewed 31 December 2013

We stayed here in November in a City View Terrace Room. The view was spectacular and we regretted that it was too cold to enjoy the terrace. The property is elegant and spectacularly rehabbed. Our bathroom was huge, with marble fixtures, a shower the size of a walk-in closet and double sinks. The winter rate was excellent, with a large breakfast included. It is indeed distant from the city center, but the winter rate was so reasonable that we could afford the cab rides to and from the hotel and still come out ahead of the rates charged by similarly elegant hotels in the city center. The pool and spa area is beautiful. The only disappointment was the spa service. I booked with hotel personnel a very specific service (hot stone massage) that was advertised in the spa materials in the room. I rushed back from the city so as not to be late for the treatment, only to be told by spa personnel that the hot stone massage had not been available for more than an a year, as the hot stone machine is broken. I was not interested in the alternatives offered, and so lost precious time that I otherwise would have enjoyed in the city. This was a blip in an otherwise wonderful stay and I would definitely return to this beautiful hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EpicureoEducado
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I discovered this hotel about three months after it opened and it was absolutely marvelous. Refurbished old building that had previously been both a hotel and a hospital apparently, it has rustic wood floors and a blend of old world and new. Clearly a lot of money spent originally to compliment spectacular views of Barcelona, a high end restaurant and beautiful indoor outdoor swimming pool. I have noticed that over the years some of the wear and tear is beginning to show. Here and there un repaired cracked tiles or stonework in the bathrooms, one room with noisy pipes, recently had to call down after having just checked in to have hairs removed from the shower room, etc. Service generally good but the hotel has just a hint of neglect which is unfortunate as it has such 5 star potential having qualified in that category for me for years until recently. Other little things like the tasteless scrambled eggs in the buffet breakfast - better to order an omelette or eggs freshly made in the kitchen as they are far better. On more than one occasion the mists shrouding the Tibidabo upon which the hotel is built creates a wonderfully spooky atmosphere, as though you are checking into an old world hotel in the middle of nowhere. However, despite some of the minor flaws which with a little attention are easily fixable, this hotel is most definitely worth a visit and is good value for money despite the extra cab ride to and from the city, and I will continue to stay at this atmosphere-laden hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family