“Great stay”

Gran Hotel La Florida
Ranked #182 of 521 Hotels in Barcelona

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

Forget about staying in the touristy parts of this beautiful city - stay up in the mountain just 20mins from the city and enjoy a magnificent view from the hotel every day and night! The drive to and from the city is relaxing as you meander along the winding mountain road in the bus or taxi, passing small houses, lush foliage, panting cyclists and courageous joggers. next to the hotel is a lookout point for a clear view of the city and the Pyrenees mountains beyond.

The hotel itself is a beautifully conserved early 20th century building with wooden stairs, generous rooms and splendid views. if you hate modern buildings in an art-filled, historic city like Barcelona, this hotel will not disappoint. The cafe leads out to an outdoor pool while there is an indoor spa/pool also, I believe. Service is prompt and polite.

The only downside is that there are no shops in the vicinity, save for a restaurant next to the amusement park and the beautiful Tibidabo church, both 10mins walk away. But if you plan well and buy what you need from the city, you'll not be caught out for conveniences. For the view and tranquility, this resort on a mountain is well worth the distance from the bustle of Barcelona city centre.

Room Tip: Ask for a city view room.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

A really special hotel in a special location, the views were breath taking. I arrived earlier than my colleagues and sat with a drink just admiring the scenery.

The whole hotel is very well designed and certainly offers you the components of a luxury break.

My room was split across two floors and really was unique in it's design, huge bathroom, dressing area, sitting area and upstairs cosy area too.

The only faults I found were that my room had been a little mistreated by previous guests and could have done with a couple of touch ups to the paint work. But honestly it wasn't a big issue.

The staff were friendly, not sure if they were 5 star, but certainly 4.

Food was great - although I only sampled a salad and the buffet breakfast.

Really enjoyable break - highly recommended.

Room Tip: I stayed in 604 which was great but I do think 601 and 603 would have had better views - although mi...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

We spent a weekend at this Hotel. Its situated at the top of Tibidabo mountain with impressive views over Barcelona. It is far from downtown but if you appreciate scenic views at a good Hotel, you won't miss. The building is very nice and also rooms, clean and spacious. My "but" comes from the maintenance ... they have a sauna area and the days we were there the dry one did not work properly (I tried twice in different days and it was around 40 deg ...) and in the spa showers there was no hot water. They also had a problem with hot water in rooms (low pressure on hot water while in cold one it was perfect ...). Service was nice but maintenance is clearly not their strength. We also had a problem in the bar and the manager came to take charge and they sent a bottle of Champagne to our room ... so they reacted properly.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Francisco T
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

Stunning views and great building. Phantastic for relaxing on a great building without city feeling.

Throroughlly enjoyed it and is a call hotel.

Parking charge a bit if rip off and should be included in hotel price !

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Firstly this a beautiful hotel with absolutely stunning views of Barcelona. If you are interested in the theme park and church then they are right here.

Website states free shuttle bus to the city from February, once we were there on 21st February I enquire. "Sorry sir, it is not running yet" - strange as the brand new Mercedes van is parked outside the hotel. Now as previously stated, the local bus and funicular is easy to use and the staff explained all the ticketing options. But don't advertise something you don't have.

On the first night the TV was not working, just the blocky image when the digital reception is poor. After a few hours fiddling and a new TV, the engineer gave up. We were offered the room next door but that had the same problem. Next day at reception I was told "only the local TV stations work at present" - now this was pure BS because we later moved to another floor and all the channels worked fine. Don't lie to me!

One morning we were woken early by a very loud noise coming from the room next door. I called reception to be told "it was probably just the wind". Now unless it was a freek typhoon or the chap next door had a particularly bad vindaloo it was not wind - it was like a Chinook helicopter. I called them up to the room and reluctantly they came up. Turned out they were refurbishing next door and it was the industrial floor sander, at 8am!! Why place a guest next to a room with major work being undertaken?

And of course by evening we had the pungent chemical smell of vapours pouring into our room as they had now lacquered the floor. At this point I demanded a new room as we would have had blistering headaches had we stayed. My eyes were actually watering.

Now I must say we were given a beautiful duplex room for our last nights sleep, but the damage was done.

The restaurant, we avoided the posh restaurant due to the reviews and experience with the other one. We stayed for 4 nights and I honestly think I had one properly cooked meal. Fish was rare, medium meat was barely cooked and had to be sent back, the hot buffet available some mornings was cold - staff just left the burners keeping it warm to go out. Much like the hotel, looked great but once you delved in it was poor. Lord help you if you want a second cup of tea or coffee with breakfast, once you are seated the staff scurry away never to be seen again.

By our last night with the fumes, I really was ready to explode but my wife used all her charm to calm me down.

I must say the staff were very pleasant at all times, some extremely helpful but most of the situations were caused by the hotel's poor planning or forward thinking.

Overall a place never to go back to. My recommendation would be to go there to have lunch to take in the view, just make sure your order a cold salad!

Bit like a 5 Star Spanish Fawlty Towers with a view....

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SimNugget
QMLaFlorida, Director General at Gran Hotel La Florida, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to apologize for all the inconveniences you may have suffered during your stay with us while we thank you for sharing your experience and letting us have your comments.

We are overwhelmed and disappointed with the content of your review.
It would be too long to attempt to justify and to respond to each comment individually. So all we can do is offer you our sincerely apologizes and hope that in a near future you will allow us to demonstrate the real quality of our services and standards.

We would be delighted to welcome you again at Gran Hotel la Florida so that you can repeat your stay and have the opportunity to welcome you as you deserve.
Look forward to your comments, thanking you again for your comprehension.
Yours sincerely,

Miriam Cortijo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

My partner and I stayed for three nights in October last year.

LOCATION: The hotel is a long way from the city centre, but we considered that a plus. There is a bus stop just outside the hotel with half hourly services to the funicular. Take a short funicular journey then change to the subway to get to the city centre. Sounds tedious but, really, it wasn't. If you plan your journey, all in all it takes just 35 minutes.

OUR ROOM/THE HOTEL: We both agreed we got a bargain. Our room was huge, clean, decorated neutrally but with some character, and our bed was comfortable. We had a big, lovely bathroom, and, yes some of the paint was peeling off the edges but with sweeping views of Barcelona through our bedroom windows, we weren't bothered!

A pool is a must for my partner and the hotel's one is particularly nice.

SERVICE: Staff were friendly and helpful, although not overbearing.

THE DOWNSIDE: There is nowhere to eat near the hotel and due to previous reviews, we didn't try the hotel restaurant.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple