“A gem” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #295 of 522 Hotels in Barcelona
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“A gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

We stayed in Hotel HCC Taber in March 2014. It`s a small but well run hotel, just a short walk from the Rambla area, and fairly central for all traveling. Rooms are good and of a specification, relevant to the price. We had a balcony which had great views of Barcelona, and local areas.
Staff service was good, with special mention of David & Carlos, who were extremely helpful, on Reception. Nothing too much trouble.
Rooms are reasonable sized,well maintained,the lifts are fast, and the facilities would suit all but the most demanding of customers.
The Breakfast is typically Continental but cooked items can be ordered. There are many local cafes & restaurants a short walk from the hotel for coffee, cakes, sandwiches,and full meals.
If you want a good, quiet and reasonable hotel, near central Barcelona, this fits the bill.
I wouldn`t hesitate to go back.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alistair R
hcctaber, Gerente at HCC Taber, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Thank you very much for your kind opinion. I will inform David and Carlos about it.
It is a pleasure for me receive feeb-back as yours.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a short break for my husbands birthday. It was very easy getting from the airport by train - platform 1 to Passeg de Gracia, we were even accompanied by buskers en route, then when you exit the station Gaudi's Casa Milla is facing you so just cross the road and the hotel is on the left, just after Ramblas de Cataluyna. The receptionist was not the most welcoming I have encountered. We had a room on the 4th floor as having read previous reviews, lower floors could be noisy. Our room was at the rear so this was Ok. I had also asked for a balcony in advance, at a cost of €10 a night which was a rip off when all you could see was other uninteresting buildings rooftops. The room was adequate, we had a bath which was what we wanted after a busy days sightseeing, however you had to fill it with the shower!. The hotel has free wi-fi, I rang down to ask for the code and was told we had to go to reception, when I enquired why we weren't told this when we checked in, the response was I didn't ask! Breakfast was adequate and I can recommend asking for an omelette. There are plenty of restaurants nearby on Ramblas de Catalunya & Plaza de Catalunya is at the bottom, La Ramblas is just off this. My impression of this is it is just a wide scruffy pavement with a lot of tourist tat & not much else on offer, though it might be different in season. Do seek out the Bocaria Market about half way down on the right, the produce is amazing, if I was self catering locally, this is where I would shop. We bought a 2day hop on/off bus ticket which was a good way of getting around.we did the Blue route one day & Red the other, there is a 3rd Green route from March that is included. From the hotel the nearest bus stop is Passeg de Gracia, just outside the Mandarin Oriental. If you see nothing else on your visit go to the Sagrada Familia it is amazing, Gaudi's vision is truly awe inspiring and don't be put off if there is a queue, it goes down fairly quickly. All in all we had a lovely break, the weather was warm for February and I would stay at this hotel again because of its location.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Debbie B
hcctaber, Gerente at HCC Taber, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Thanks for giving us your opinion.
I regret that the receptionist did not attend her properly. I'll look to see who it was.
Rooms with balcony overlooking the street Aragon. What we do have are also rooms with terrace overlooking the rear. I imagine they were given one of them commented that if they did not want noise. Would be perfect for another occasion to comment that we do not like the view from that room and could have made ​​a change upon entering or give choose several options. Thank you.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here a couple of times in the last couple of months on business. dislocation for centre of Barcelona. Breakfast ok. Rooms clean and basic. Staff helpful. Can't really ask for much else when working.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gazpotts72
hcctaber, Gerente at HCC Taber, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Thank you very much for your opinion. It is really helpful for me.
Volos, Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

I had a great experience the hotel and the service was every time ready to help me!
The room was nice and always clean!
The location of hotel is only one block away from Passeig de Gracia station, so you are in the town center with everything you want near!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mortatum
hcctaber, Gerente at HCC Taber, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
It is wonderful to receive beedbacks as yours. Thank you very much for your kind opinion.
We are going to make some changes in our rooms. I hope you will come back soon to enjoy them.
Preston, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

I stayed here for a two nights prior to a cruise on 25-27 October 2013. I chose this hotel for its central location just off the Paseo de Gracia, one of Barcelona's main shopping / dining areas. The road leads to the Plaza de Catalunya then onto the harbour and Barcelleta area.

The location could not be better as the hotel is a three minute walk to Paseo de Gracia where the red tour buses depart. These tour buses are superb as you can hop on and hop off at all the tourist attractions throughout this lovely city.

We tended to eat out in typical Spanish restaurants and had tapas, dinner and cava.

The shops are superb and small independent stores are alongside the nego superstore, El Corte Ingles of which there are several in the city, in addition to all the designer shops - Dior, Gucci, Chanel, Louis Vuitton, Prada and the Spanish chains, Zara, Mango and Massimo Dutti.

Although the hotel is a few minutes walk to Las Ramblas, which I thought this was a bit scruffy and not a patch on Paseo de Gracia.

The Barri Gotic / Gothic quarter is a maze of pedestrianised, narrow streets with an interesting range of bars, restaurants, cafés, shops and crafts.

Although the hotel is not a five star, it most definitely is for its superb location and value. Our room was on the eighth floor overlooking the from of the hotel. I asked for a quiet room with a balcony and this is what we got. The balcony was huge! The was some traffic noise as we were there Friday and Saturday and I imagine in the week, it would be quieter. The room was very clean and had a good sized bathroom. Breakfast was included.

I am very fussy about accommodations and this hotel is a little gem in the heart of a fantastic city. We were vigilant and did not wear jewellery or carry lots of money or a handbag. Use a cross over bag if you have to. I would recommend this hotel and would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony so you can sit outside and admire the view of a wonderful city. The higher floors...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Karon1708
hcctaber, Gerente at HCC Taber, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
It is a pleasure to receive a nice comments from a person as you with many experience in hotels.
Thank you very much for your opinion.
East Windsor, New Jersey, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

hotel and staff was nice. there are a lot of places within walking distance and a Metro station is 2 blocks from it. we did not spend too much time at the hotel, but it was clean and after walking all day a nice shower and clean linens will do for me. i will definetly go back

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
hcctaber, Gerente at HCC Taber, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
It will be a pleasure to see you again. Thank you very much for your feedback.
Beijing, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

My family and I were thinking where would we go for a week to rest and decided to go to Spain. Selected with the tour. Hotel company, have made the visa and go. Upon arrival in Barcelona surprisingly quickly went through customs and passport control, did not have to fill out and it was still nice that the luggage was waiting for us on the tape. Super fast. Hotel, we arranged a meeting at the airport, which was already good (when you fly way, then it was worth it, and when you fly away back then it is better to take a taxi since exactly half of it will be cheaper). But only a pleasant experience, the driver was polite and calm. The hotel is on retsepshine were waiting for us, made copies of passports and gave the keys to the room. We flew the family - me, my wife and my daughter bunting (4 years). We had a two room suite. The room was very clean, simple new, towels changed every day. Cleaning done in the room when we went for a walk around the city, and once we did not deliver any inconvenience. The hotel was very quiet, there was no background noise, nor any repairs and knocks. The hotel's location is unique in my opinion. We are all very very much

• Stayed October 2013
hcctaber, Gerente at HCC Taber, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Thank your very, very much for your kind opinión. Just one thing, we didn' t make a copy of the passports. We just take your details.