AC Hotel Irla
Ranked #382 of 516 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 15 November 2012

Great hotel, small, but CLEAN rooms. Excellent location , near on-off bus. Friendly, courteous staff. We Would definitely stay again. Price was fair & included a great breakfast. Most European Hotels are small, however the AC IRLA was quite delightful. Front staff were welcoming & went out of their way

Room Tip: We were on 5 h floor.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 October 2012

I arrived at 07:00 am due to an early morning flight, expecting to wait in the lobby for a few hours for my room.
I was so wrong. The friendly receptionist said I could have a room even as early as this. Excellent and unexpected service.
The room was nice too with a minibar with soft drinks, free of charge.
Location is great! Quiet and yet very central, close to Avenue Diagonal.
Breakfast was nice too-
Everybody I met were very friendly, polite and service minded. Nothing was a problem and it´s obvious they care for their guest.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Jostein
Reviewed 16 October 2012

Let me start by saying that I travel every week for work, so I am platinum status at Marriott. Not that this matters, because I firmly believe all guests should be treated the same, regardless of status. The hotel staff was unwilling to accommodate anyone, and while it was centrally located, this hotel does not live up to the standards of the Marriott brand.

It started with arriving and parking. They told me they had a garage with a discounted rate. When I asked for directions, the staff pointed me to a garage down the street. However, when I went to get my car the next day, I found out that I had parked in the wrong garage. The hotel attendant had a business card with an address that she did NOT give me the day before, which would have been helpful. She simply shrugged her shoulders when I asked for further clarification.

The room was TINY. All hotel rooms in Europe are small; however, this one was terrible. I treated two of my girlfriends to the room on my points. When I arrived, they had no rooms to accommodate three people. I was told I either had to buy another room, or pay an EXTRA 80 euros for her to sleep on the FLOOR. Of our hotel room. When I tried to get another room, they then were "sold out". I complained to Marriott and they waived the fee, and then I switched to the Sheraton for the rest of my stay. Save yourself the trouble and do not stay here for a holiday.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jillian W
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Recently stayed here for 5 nights. Great location - a true neighborhood with beautiful shops near by - and great value. Although it's not near the city attractions, it is close by to the hop on/hop off bus. Staff is friendly and helpful, there are complimentary soft drinks and water in the lobby and in your room refrigerator. That's right - complimentary! Also a coffee/tea machine when the breakfast room closes. Free wi-fi in lobby only. The room was well-cleaned and air-conditioned. My only complaint concerns the toiletries (bring your own small bottles). Also, I tried to request an early check-in since our flight was landing in the morning but we were not able to access our room until 1:00pm. So we had to hang out in the lobby for several hours. We were requested to pay cash for breakfast because we were officially not checked in ... and breakfast was overpriced (we never ate there again since there were many better-priced cafés in the neighborhood). Apart from a bad start, the rest of our stay was pleasant and I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TuscanBred
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Hotel Irla was modern, clean and right in the middle of a neighborhood. It seemed like an odd location. We were surprised to see that it was only a few blocks from the hop on hop off bus. The hotel did offer wifi, but only in the common area downstairs.
Everything was in good working order. The bathrooms were huge, clean and very modern. We were pleased with the room.

Room Tip: The room was very quiet, due to the location in the neighborhood, rather than a busy area.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank twarpula
Reviewed 9 July 2012

The Good: Location and staff are friendly. The bad: rooms are tiny, limited towels (ie. no wash cloth/face towel) and rooms that face the street are noisy. Hotel feels old you can hear peole in other rooms talking and their doors slam when going in and out.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tchabbs
Reviewed 24 June 2012

I stayed in this hotel as it was the cheapest option for my recent trip to Barcelona. The hotel is in good location: quiet residential area near Diagonal avenue with good local restaurants and cafes. Hotel is nice: spacious rooms with air conditioning, free minibar (soft drinks only), clea linen and fully stocked spacious bathrooms with hairdryers. The staff is very friendly and helpful. You do need to pay for the internet unless you are Marriott member and the room service menu is limited to just sandwitches that cost arm and leg. The gym is tiny: 3 machines with no TV, so make sure you bring your own entertainment for your workout.
The hotel is definitely good for business people like myself staying just for a night or two. However, I would not stay in this hotel if you came as a tourist: it is just way too far from any types of attractions: La Rambla is around one hour walk (or 15 euroo by taxi) and shopping on Diagonal is probably not within your average tourist financial abilities.
So do decide what it is that you are after before you decide on this hotel.

Room Tip: make sure your room does not overlook the main street. I had room 309 and the reception person did a...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank elenkahu
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barcelona
AC Hotel Diagonal L"Illa
Eixample
Renaissance Barcelona Hotel
Renaissance Barcelona Hotel
#186 of 516 in Barcelona

Been to AC Hotel Irla? Share your experiences!