“Breakfast always a problem”
Review of AC Hotel Irla

AC Hotel Irla
Ranked #382 of 519 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Following my stay at the AC in Madrid I am in the AC Irla Barcelona which as location is very good (even though the metro is not anywhere near) and the hotel is good. I agree with the WIFI comments. Get on with the changes hotel management, everyone including WIFI in the room now. I had it in Lisbon and all places has full wifi access everywhere free of chages. Apart for that breakfast is very very disappointing there is very little choice and the room and space where you have it very tiny. Have breakfast elsewhere

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 18 January 2014

conveniently located in the center of the city it is a nice and clean hotel in line with AC standards.
reasonable cost and competent and nice staff
internet free in the lobby and to be paid in the room if without Marriott status (gold or plat)
if by car there is an Agreement with a parking nearby at the cost of 22€/24h that is expensive and unfortunately is the only alternative
the hotel does not have any restaurant, but nearby there are many places easily reachable on foot

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 January 2014

We just spent 4 nights at this hotel in Barcelona. Very nice room on street side surprisingly calm. Service was very good, staff being discreet and efficient.
Not many options for meals...many options outside the hotel.
Good location 2 blocks from the Diagonal, Corte Ingles, short walk from Turo park and Illa mall.
Many bus lines to go anywhere in town are on the Diagonal.
Internet was a bit slow.
Recommend for a short stay in Bcn.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank antoninbcn
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We found this location to be fantastic! Not in the middle of the hubbub of the old city (which we loved!) or the touristic location of Las Ramblas, but a true "neighborhood" in a lovely part of Barcelona. Local panaderias and breakfast shops and restaurants all just a few steps away. Also near the Diagonal - so we could walk quickly and easily to reach more shops, restaurants, taxis, city-tour buses, etc.
The staff here is SO nice and so, so helpful!! No matter the subject- finding our way around the city, purchasing tickets online to avoid lines (a MUST DO for Sagrada Familia and Parque Güell) or finding a nearby laundromat! We had to do laundry and found a laundromat about 5 minutes (by taxi) away… Haahaa.. What a great experience, much to our surprise! Nice little neighborhood - students, couples - and the location of the laundromat was fantastic!
Only thing that we did not like was the WiFi situation - it's gratis in the lobby, but they charge for use in the rooms and you are limited to connecting three devices.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 December 2013

As mentioned in the subject, the housekeeper was the worst I have met. After a long day, I returned to the hotel to find that the housekeeping department did not replenish the water in the mini bar. Called front desk and he sent this housekeeper up to give me 2 miserable 330ml of water. When she arrived at my door, she knocked so hard. Then, she couldn't wait and attempted to unlock my door. Seriously?! After I opened, she gave me such a black face, I had no idea what she said in Spanish (sounded like she was scolding me), thrust the 2 bottles into my hands and walked away. This is unacceptable. Just tell me if you can't afford to provide me the water. I can buy them myself. I don't need this kind of service.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank par0dy
Reviewed 9 December 2013

The rooms are small but that's expected for a destination such as Barcelona; that wasn't the issue as it was just my husband and I.

When we arrived we were given a room on the first floor; I nearly wanted to cry at the thought of an entire week in those conditions as it smelled like smoke extremely bad. After 30-45 minutes of trying to adjust to the room I couldn't stand it anymore and went to the front desk to ask if that was a room for smokers. They said NO! That it wasn't a room for smokers but that they allow guests to smoke in the rooms and they made it sound like it was going to be ok if the room was aerated more... Mmm... Ok, I decided to give it another chance. Nope. It got worse so we asked for a different room. At first the staff was reticent saying the hotel was booked to capacity and they couldn't give us a different room. To their credit they asked if we could wait a few hours until they review their records more in detail and after about half an hour they informed us we could move to a room on the 4th floor. Voila! No smell whatsoever.

It did bother me though that they tried to make it look like that first room was not for smokers and that I was making a bigger deal of it than it was. I was generous to give it 3 stars from this point of view.

Otherwise, it is in a nice residential area; groceries store and pharmacy very close by in case of need; plenty of breakfast places and restaurants.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank lulu954
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Our party of four occupied two rooms for three nights beginning 11/14/13. The stay concluded our vacation in Europe following a 20 day cruise. The small boutique type hotel was located in a quaint area of Barcelona located a short walk from the Avinguda Diagonal, one of the biggest and most upscale shopping streets in Barcelona. As you reach the Diagonal from the hotel, you enter a plaza where you can board any of the hop on-hop off buses, grab a taxi, or eat and shop to your hearts content. The rooms were adequate in size and had a bath with shower. Mini bar fridge was available but best thing about them was they had extra room in them for putting your own food or drink. They were not censor controlled as many are now. So you could touch things woithout buying them. One downside was the absence of an in-room safe. Free wifi is available in the lobby as well as complimentary coffee. Immediately across the street is a small convenience-type store. Small eateries abound around the hotel, including tapas, pizza, Italian, Greek,etc. The staff was pleasant and helpful. When we arrives early in the morning, our room was not ready. We were given the option of checking our luggage and getting our room later or downsizing to a non-smoking Queen from a King. My brother was tired so we downsized. The desk later called and offered to move us to a King room the following day. We did not change but the mere fact that the offer was extended without being requested was a plus. I did not use the hotel restaurant so I cannot comment on it. I would stay here again based on all criteria including value.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jerry H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barcelona
AC Hotel Sants
Eixample
Renaissance Barcelona Hotel
Renaissance Barcelona Hotel
#184 of 519 in Barcelona

Been to AC Hotel Irla? Share your experiences!