“Fantastic beautiful boutique hotel”

Hotel Neri Relais & Chateaux
Ranked #24 of 512 Hotels in Barcelona
London
“Fantastic beautiful boutique hotel”
Reviewed 18 June 2007

My fiance and I recently stayed at the Neri in a junior suite located on the third floor. The quietness of the room was fantastic, the best 5 nights sleep we have had in ages. We did not have a balcony but our room overlooked the square which was really lovely. The housekeeping was excellent, the bed extremely comfortable and the fixtures and fittings really chic, we disagree with previous reviews of the furniture being Ikea ish. The staff do not fawn all over you but when utilised were friendly and courteous. They did book a table for us at a michelin starred restaurant at short notice. It is a welcome respite from the heat entering the hotel as it is quite dark and very cool after being out in the heat. There aren't lots of facilities in the hotel so if you want a swimming pool etc then this is the not the hotel for you but is is unique and in a fabulous location, the catedral literally up the road and it is fabulous staying in the gothic quarter. It is really easy to get anywhere in Barcelona pretty much from here. Did not eat in the hotel restaurant but it does have a very good reputation and there is a fabulous little place called buenos migas not far from the hotel that does amazing foccacias and yoghurt with fruit for breakfast costing about 9 euros for 2 with coffee. Barcelona is an amazing city and my fiance and I could easily have stayed for longer and felt relaxed after staying at the Neri would thoroughly recommend it to anyone who wants something that little bit different.

Stayed June 2007
2 Thank Candyce B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Hebrew first
Longborough
Reviewed 23 May 2007

We were delighted with this hotel. If you like intimate hotels with strong contemporary design, this is the one for you.

The location couldn't be better. It's in the middle of the Barrio Gothic right by the cathedral. Plenty of places to eat out within easy walking distance.

Contrary to the reviewers below, we found the service excellent. The staff are young, keen to please and they all spoke very good English. They responded quickly to anything we asked for.

We booked a junior suite on the third floor with a terrace. We couldn't fault the design of the room- spacious, good lighting, large bed, flat screen TV, DVD and CD player. Good size bathroom with a tub plus shower.

Some of the reviewers below have complained about noise, but we asked for and got a quiet room which didn't overlook the children's play area.

The bar on the roof terrace is a bit of a let down and was empty when we went up there. It isn't really a bar, as you phone down for drinks to be brought up to you. Not much of a view either.

Breakfast was spot on. We didn't try the restaurant as it has no choices for vegetarians, but we ate really well at Tragaluz, Cuines Santa Caterina and Agua which all had good veggie selections.

We would definitely stay at the Neri again.

• Liked — Small hotel with strong contemporary design
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cotswolds
Pasadena, CA
Reviewed 20 May 2007

The good news, this location can't be beat, it's in the middle of everything you would want to see or do in Barcelona.

The bad news - the service is HORRIBLE. We travel frequently and stay in many differnent types of properties. This was hands down the worst service I've ever gotten at a hotel (regardless of price). I am not a fussy traveler and usually don't need anything from my hotel staff.

This staff, however goes out of their way to make you feel unwelcome.
Their attitude is only matched by their incompetence. We booked 3 months in advance a junior suite. We were given a standard room, without a word. Like we wouldnt notice the difference! Unbelievable!
We complained, and after much rangling (and tons of attitude) were given a suite after agreeing to pay a lot more (and waiting a full day). It was huge and beautiful (#106), but very loud and dark. Knowing that we wouldn't be able to handle switching again, we put in earplugs and made the best of it.

They refused to exchange travellers checks (in euros) and on top of it, didn't know where to change money. Upon our late arrival the restaurant they sent us to was closed, and the requested wake-up calls never happened. They are a disaster.

The hotel itself is beautiful, but the staff has got to go. I can't believe the owner puts up with this.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — serv ice
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank natureloverCA
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2007

It has been the third time i was staying at this hotel. It used to be my favourite in the world, but things went wrong this time.

We have booked juniour suite with the terrace, top floor, quiet, far away from elevator. Let me say it appears that they have 3 junior rooms, and believe me, they are far from been the same. The one we were given was resembling more a deluxe room only with a high celing, and this for 406 euros per night (incl taxes). I felt so crooked/ I reserved 6 weeks in advance, but obviously they messed my reservation.

It was never like that before, i was staying here in great rooms with nice small balconies, cozy and intimate. I was almost speachless once I saw in which room I had to stay this time. And have communicated before with a hotel about my reservation.

In the end they gave us a discount on the room, and next day we could move to a different room. But only after we complained 2 times. This so much spoilt my perfect Barcelona dream hotel.

I still find the hotel itself very unique. And they have actually lowered the price for breakfast which is worth every euro.

But it seems to me that there obvious problems with stuff. It is still the same people at reception who used to work there 3 years ago, and they definitely feel demotivated. I do not see any longer sparkling in their eyes. I think some kind of rotation must take place.

Otherwise I will definitely return again trying my luck.

• Liked — atmosphere
  • Disliked — stuff
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with family
9 Thank AdventurerHamburg
NY, NY
Reviewed 6 May 2007

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Neri in April 2007. We discussed and agreed on the following:

1) Location: right smack in the middle of the gothic maze, thus very close to many restaurants and sites. Would have been difficult to find, but the hotel arranged for transportation right to the door which was convenient (we recommend this, only costs a bit more than using a taxi). If safety is on your mind, generally this is a safe area. However, we were the vicitim of a purse snatcher...which we were told is common in these winding streets. Just leave your stuff in the safe box and all should be fine. You would be hanging out in these streets whether you were staying at the Neri anyway, thus don't let this be a determining factor in your decision.

2) Facilities: really, there isn't much in this regard. There is a sleepy restuarant and a roof top with chairs, but no real bar scene or service for that matter...def not a place you want to be hanging out...boring. Internet access in the "library" but what hotel for over $350 bucks a night doesn't have this?

3) Rooms: very cool intereior, mix of dark "cave like" stone and soft colors made for a comfortable, modern, room. Flat screen TV, but like the rest of the hotels in spain, I hope you like CNN. Shower was nice, but I have no clue why they made the room so dark...honestly, you can barely see to shave, put on make-up, etc...its sort of strange. The bed was very comfortable and the climate controls worked to perfection.

4) Service: indifferent at best. Odd to me, but I felt at times like my being at the hotel was an inconvenience. There is no real doorman, just people wondering around. Upon arrival, we were asked just to leave our bags in the lobby and walk around as the room wasn't ready (which is fine), but as we were leaving I swear our bags were just left and there wasn't a single person left to look over them, move them, or whatever. Don't expect anything from anyone. This crowd doesn't bother you, they just don't want you to "bother" them.

5) Noise: as noted by other reviewers, these rooms are really noisy. Some of it comes from school kids during the day (we really didn't care about this because we were out playing in the City). But late at night, or in the morning, footsteps could be heard, voices, etc. Not sure where it originates from, but it was loud and clear.

Overall, we enjoyed Barcelona, but you can do better for a place to stay. I think any "buzz" over the Neri is withering away (if it's not gone already), and it is enjoying its final gasps of popularity. Even the staff seems to be growing bored.

• Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank morevacation
uk
Reviewed 1 May 2007

Due to a mix-up by a booking agency, 4 extra rooms were booked in our
name. Instead of the hotel staff sorting this with the agency, they expected us to sort in the middle of our holiday. They even suggested
we may have to pay 5 x over! Eventually it was sorted, but the hotel staff offered no formal apology or compensation. Sleepless night and stress do not make for a good holiday. Could not recommend the hotel as the staff did not deal correctly and professionally with this problem

• Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank candlewaxUk
Philadelphia
Reviewed 17 April 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Neri in Nov. 2006. The hotel is beautiful and the staff could not have been more helpful. The hotel is in a perfect location in the Barri Gothic. The rooms are very clean and comfortable and I loved the mood lighting. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Liked — location, ambiance
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple