“Great location nice & helpful staff”

Hotel Banys Orientals
Ranked #167 of 512 Hotels in Barcelona
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
“Great location nice & helpful staff”
Reviewed 31 October 2013

My husband recently returned from Barcelona. We stayed at Hotel Banys Oriental. While the rooms a a little small, the bathroom is nice and the Shower is great! Best of all is the location, we walked everywhere! The neighborhood in which this hotel is located is also really great, lots of restaurants to choose from (good food). The staff was very helpful...we especially appreciate Gaston's help! Another really. Ice feature is the coolers on every floor with water bottles, free for guests! Really nice after a day of lots of walking! Really nice spot and reasonable. I highly recommend. Note: book direct with the hotel for the best rate.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stephanie L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I stayed here for three nights, left for Bilbao for a stay, and returned for another five nights at this hotel in October.

For the size of the rooms and the lack of a competent overseer of its operations, this hotel is overpriced. I have stayed in a Paris hotel for less money and received better service.

The staff was helpful in calling for taxis, assisting me in checking in online for my flight, and helping through the stressful operation of getting and printing a ticket to La Sagrada Familia. But they are not trained to handle more serious problems. And some of their staff were not knowledgeable enough to give accurate information.

On the morning when I was to catch my flight out of Barcelona to Toronto, the lights went out in my room at 6:15, the time I had scheduled myself to get up to get ready. The room, and much of the hotel, by the way, is painted black, and the lighting is not sufficient for someone with problem eyesight. Lights were on in the hallway, but a number of rooms on my part of the hall were without electricity.

The staff members (and there were about 4 of them who attempted to correct the problem) were unable to find the source of the problem, and one hour later, after my insistence, they moved my stuff to a room with light so that I could finish my preparations and get to the airport on time. Language skills in English were inadequate. For all my trouble and added stress they gave me one free breakfast. By the time I left at about 8:30 the lights were still out.

I blame the management for not hiring and training competent staff, not the workers themselves, who were obviously working within their skill sets.

This hotel is not 3-star status. I do not recommend it. I should add that it is crammed onto a one-way street that is shared by tourists, vehicles, motorcycles, bikes, etc. Making it difficult for taxis to get to.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank saladays62
Somerset, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2013

The location of this hotel in a narrow pedestrian street in the traditional charming and safe Born district is perfect. While sheltered from traffic noise, it is within 100 metres of Jaume I Metro station and the Via Laietana with its numerous bus routes.

This is a modern hotel inside the shell of an ancient building with narrow balconies unusually bedecked with standard lamps, giving a welcoming glow to arrivals at night. The ground floor is taken up mainly with an elegant restaurant with a good reputation, but without lounge or bar. Rooms are smallish for 2 people but doubles are excellent for single travellers. All are exterior, those on the front having a balcony. Bathrooms are unusually laid out with basin in the centre, and separate toilet to one side and shower cubicle the other; toiletries are provided and include a wooden hairbrush. Beds are very comfortable.
The only slightly bizarre feature is the extensive use of black paint, not only on the floors, but on the bathroom walls; this makes for some difficulty if the lightbulb goes in your shower cubicle which is then rendered pitch dark.
I had breakfast only on my first morning; the breakfast room was on the Entresuelo floor in a rather depessing low ceilinged room painted red, the effect of which was to render the breakfast guests totally silent, giving off the embarrassing atmosphere of an English seaside hotel.

I would certainly stay here again and recommend the hotel to other travellers looking for a comfortable 3* hotel in a delightful location.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank wellensian
Oberageri, Switzerland
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We stayed here for 1 night with a family of 4 and liked this hotel. Room was sufficiently big, it was centrally located (we came by car, which was not ideal, but an underground parking was available at 50m distance). Staff was friendly. Would not recommend breakfast, pastries looked better than they tasted, coffee was poor.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 4th floor, inside looking - recommendable, as it can be noisy at night.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Nicole S
Keller, Texas
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I found this hotel with this site and was not disappointed it was just as described, great location clean, nice room. The desk staff was excellent we stopped by on the day we got off the cruise ship and asked if we could store our large suitcase's for the 2 days prior to our stay since we were traveling by train to France and they graciously said yes no problem. This made our trip so much more enjoyable. We returned our room was just as described this is a very nice hotel wish we would have been able to stay here the other night we spent in Barcelona.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Texas
Reviewed 5 October 2013

I used this site to choose Hotel Banys Orientals and I am glad I spent my 3 nights in Barcelona here. I traveled solo so I was a bit hesitant at the cost but I think it was worth it. I felt safe and it was a wonderful location. I stepped out the door each night and within 30 seconds had 15 excellent options for dinner. During the day, you don't have to wander far to see everything travelers flock to Barcelona to see. The cathedral Santa Maria del Mar is right around the corner and I popped in for mass after enjoying a glass of sangria at the cafe that sits right out front.
The metro entrance was a short walk away and made getting to Plaza Catalunya a breeze. I don't recommend staying near the Plaza. A few of my friends had a hotel near there and we spent 30 minutes walking around trying to find a place for dinner. At night there is much more going on in the Born neighborhood.
The hotel itself is clean and neat. The hallway floors were a little creaky and yes, the walls are thin but there aren't many people staying on each floor so the noise isn't extreme. I had a single room which I thought was comically small at first, with its twin bed pushed up against the wall, but it was plenty of room! The shower is amazingly spacious and the toiletries they provide are super! The free water was a plus because I drink a ton of water. Also, in Barcelona I found that water can literally cost you more than a glass of wine.
Bottom line, while the hotel is pretty nice it's not going to knock the socks off of most folks. The location is what you are paying for and that will blow your socks right off.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Jen B
Menasha, Wisconsin
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I am filling this out for a trip I had last year only because I found out this year how much these helped me find hotels this year .Great location for the old town. Nice size rooms that were always clean. Good breakfast .Over stay was excellent

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple