“If you need a location as a cave”
Review of Ideal Youth Hostel

Ideal Youth Hostel
Ranked #378 of 732 Speciality Lodging in Barcelona
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I travelled a lot around Europe , it is the worst hostel I have ever been. It has a good location and this is the only advantage of this hostel. Kind staff but not qualified . They disconnect air condition during the day . And it disconnect automatically when you open the door of the balcony , and if you want to reconnect , you have to go down to the reception.in addition this night the air condition was out of order , and when i complained , they informed me that we have to wait tell tomorrow for the mentainance company!! I reserved the 1st two nights a trible privat room , the gave me a room with a handicapped bathrooml outside the room !! And when I asked to Chang , they told me that they are fully booked !! The third day the the problem of th air condition is repeated ,I went very up set to the reception , the receptionist was rud and threatend me to call the police!!.it is not a value of money a cleanliness is very bad . Breakfast is nothing . The lockers are out of order.I do not recommend anybody to stay in

Room Tip: I don't recommend anybody to stay in
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Adoula286
There are newer reviews for Ideal Youth Hostel

Reviewed 21 July 2013

we stayed in a 6-bed dorm on la rambla, a short walk from the main hostel. the room was extremely hot and the fan did nothing to stir the air. the showers only had cold water and the laundry machine was broken. the place felt really dirty too. but, it was only 18 euros a person, so i suppose i can't complain too much.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 May 2013

I stayed here for two nights and I can best describe it as adequate. Here's some of the pros. It is in an excellent location, right off Las Ramblas and steps from a metro station. It is quite inexpensive, so great for the budget conscience. The staff was quite friendly, for the most part, so no faulting them. Security into the building was good. Maybe a little overkill, as you need to swipe your electronic card four times to get to your room from the street (as I chemist, I have a much easier time accessing some very dangerous material, than it is getting to my room).
Now the cons. The entire building has a very institutional feel to it. Someone in a previous post, described it as a bomb shelter, which is a reasonably apt description. The lockers in the rooms were a joke. You could not lock any of them, so they went unused. The beds were metal cot-like beds, and although not uncomfortable, they are not the best. The floor I was on had some strange smells. There was the smell of pot from the room next door (not necessairily the hostel's fault) but the stairs and parts of the hall had this odd smell that I could not put my finger on (some sort of disinfectant?). The internet was not the fastest, but unlike what other have said, it did not cost anything (maybe they have listened to some of the previous criticisms). The breakfast was quite limited and not at all available the second morning I was there. I overhead the desk clerk saying to a person just arriving that there was no breakfast at all (then what has that, I had the previous day?). I did see a sign saying that you'd lose your key deposit if you did not claim your bags before 4PM (which I think is rather low), however I was never told that by anyone, so I am not sure if they are still keeping this policy (I got my bags out before 4 PM, so no problems). All in all, I'm saying this place is not horrible. I would probably go someplace else next time, however if the price is right (or other places are full) I'd probably give it another go.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Grizinator
Reviewed 29 October 2012

During our trip we stayed in better hostels but aside from the smell in the bathrooms, this place wasn't that bad, Though this was our only choice as we reserved a day before arriving to Barcelona from Paris.
The hostel is secure and very well located right by Las Ramblas, the staff was really helpful with directions and there is a pool table in the common area.
With our room we had an included breakfast that was so poor we only had it once (stayed there for a week).
Wi Fi is not free, there are also computers to use with your paid internet if you don't have your own. Also... there is an elevator.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 August 2012

I wouldn't say it would be the worst hostel you could stay in but it certainly not good!
I stayed in a twin room with a bathroom room with a friend. The room wasn't once cleaned in the four days we stayed there.
The bathroom was ay although the shower was ridiculously small - you could hardly bend down to pick up your shampoo without having to open the door of the shower.
You had to pay for the wifi as well - which was only in the common area.
Staff weren't very friendly either.
Very noisey at nice and all hours of the morning as it is located only 100m off la ramblas.

Would pick a different hostel next time I visit Barcelona.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reputation M, Guest Relations Manager at Ideal Youth Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2013

Dear Emily,
We are sorry for answering only by now, but it´s a pleasure for us to be able to answer your queries. Regarding the cleanliness of the Hostel we do clean all hostel daily, including the rooms, bathrooms and common areas. Concerning the measures of the shower en suite, we would like to inform you that all our facilities respect and are built following Spanish regulations for hostels. In addition actually the Wi-Fi is free for all our customers in our Common Area including 400 sq. meters located at the Ground Floor complete with Pc´s free of use, microwave, fridge ,sofas, cable TV, pool, etc. all for our clients satisfaction. We are located in the heart of Barcelona in the touristic area of the city and for this reason to avoid any noise disturbs we have newly exchanged all windows and balconies for modern ones with thermal and acoustic protection. Besides, our 24h front desk staff is multilingual and always ready to help. We are proud of our constant improvements, and we invite you to visit us again next time you´re visiting our city to check it out!

Regards,
Ideal Youth Hostel Barcelona Reputation Manager

Reviewed 16 October 2011

We stayed in this hostel for 3 days and is the pathetic hostel i have seen so far.There is absolutely nothing good about it.
1.Whatever they display on the net they wouldnt provide at all.For ex: kitchen,breakfast,neat hostel etc...
2.Hostel staff except for a new joined girl and an Indian(who ll come after 12am) , all others are rude and they are not at all responsible and you need to literally fight to get the things you need... there is 1 spanish girl and she speaks so rudely... they dont know how to treat people!!
3.They mentioned there was breakfast included and did not evn inform it was cancelled which was horrible and then when we asked it was incuded after a set of argument exchanges and a fight and n number of phone calls thy served us 2 small muffins,1 croissant with a lil glass of juice! evn a kid would eat more than that for snacks!
4.The hostel looks pathetic , filthy and stinking and full of BED BUGS!!!
5.It is in La ramblas street i agree but at the EOD when you are tired and wanna get some sleep , you just cant sleep with that loud noise of ppl and the vehicles which you can hear in that filthy room!!!
6.worst part is hostel's reception is in a different building and hit will take 3mins walk and in the main hostel building , there are upto 6 floors and no lifts and for every problem zou discover you need to climb down all the stairs, walk alond the street and get into another building ant the staff show attitude instead of helping you! disgusting it was...!!

So all in all i wouldnt recommend this hostel ...it would spoil the whole holiday mood!

Room Tip: none of the rooms are good.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nalinikprm
Reviewed 15 October 2011

If there were no Ilaria, Narcisa and other staff, this would have been the worst hostel I have ever stayed at. Although location is perfect, I felt mislead by information on the hostel world web page. At the time I booked this hostel, as facilities were mentioned internet access and breakfast. Truth is: you have to pay for the internet 1.5 Euros for 2 hrs and breakfast doesn’t exist anymore even we paid for it. Hostel manager just appeared one morning saying that machines with food and juices were installed and that we can use them – for money of course. Another trick is that after you check out, you must pay 5 Euros if you want to leave your luggage after 4 pm. Beds are squeaky and uncomfortable, rooms are hot as hell and street is so noisy that I slept averagely 5 hours.
Hostel looks like nuclear shelter and has no character at all. Kitchen is literally non-existent. There is only one glass and no pots and pans so basically you can’t cook anything. Besides microwave oven that has no rotating plate, there are no other kitchen appliances such as oven, gas, electric stove.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo