“A Fantastic Alternative in Barcelona...”

Hotel Gran Derby Suites
Ranked #145 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 17 May 2013

Barcelona has no end of high and low end hotels, with all points in between, and plenty of apartment rental services too. After renting a little flat for 3 nights in the heart of Tourist Land near the endlessly-crowded and noisy Gothic Quarter, I returned for one night and stayed at the Gran Derby, one of four hotels in a small chain that I plan to patronize everywhere I can. Since I required a 2-bedroom, 2-bathroom space to share with a pair of teenage boys, most hotels were quite costly, but my intrepid travel agent suggested the Gran Derby.

For the price, which was incredibly, almost unbelievably reasonable, I was expecting a dump, but I figured I could suck that up for one night. Now I wish I'd stayed there the entire time. This small property is located some distance from the throbbing heart of Barcelona, in a quiet and pleasant residential area that's easily accessible by the impeccable subway line (it's located between two separate lines).

Our two-bedroom, two-bathroom duplex was a pure delight, with comfy beds, soft sheets, and stylish accoutrements, along with TV's in each room, one of the best showers I've experienced anywhere, and elegantly-packaged "product" in both bathrooms. We all slept fantastically well and were reluctant to depart.

The 10-Euro breakfast buffet was a lovely and delicious bargain the next morning - along with a variety of scrumptious baked goods, several types of local ham and cheeses and cut fruit, there were eggs made to order and plenty of bacon (if desired).

The staff was also unfailingly helpful and polite - moving all our baggage into our room while we were out exploring, giving us terrific tips on restaurants (much less expensive in this "local" neighborhood than anywhere near the tourist sections - we had one of best meals at a nearby café) and the best subways or buses to take.
All this for UNDER $200 a night! Try and match that anywhere, I dare you!

When I return to that fabulous city, the Gran Derby (not to be confused with the nearby DERBY Hotel) will be my home. I will search no more forever.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Writerontherecord
DireccionDerbyHotels, Director de Recepción at Hotel Gran Derby Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2013

Dear guest

We truly appreciate your lovely review of our Hotel, we are really please to help you to enjoy our amazing city with our facilities and our hospitality .

Our daily effort is comforted to see the feed back on this kind of comments.

Obviously we will look forward to have you again in the Hotel in your next stay in the city of barcelona

There are newer reviews for Hotel Gran Derby Suites

Reviewed 18 April 2013

I liked it quite a lot. It's clean and very modern. Nice decor on the inside, hardwood floors, two level suite, two tv's (one downstairs, one upstairs). The only downside was the air-conditioning, too cold - might've been broken. Lot of restaurants in the area. A bit of shopping, good area although it's more of a business central rather then tourist attraction.
Other than that great place to stay at, for business or pleasure, will definitely come back.

Room Tip: Take the two-level suite.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank LaMikeD85
DireccionDerbyHotels, Director de Recepción at Hotel Gran Derby Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2013

Dear guest;

First of all we are glad to spend time for writing at Trip Advisor.
We try to make the customer feel at home with a modern style and functional.

We would love to have the chance to welcome you again in your next visit to Barcelona.

Reviewed 23 March 2013

During my work in Spain, I am being used to the Gran Derby in Barcelona since 1997. The always repeating choice does not come from simply using vacant places, cheap stuff, necessities etc. It is a long-time relationship of excellent services, trust, familal behaviour and warmness, as well as reliability. The staff of this hotel had not a high turnover during the many years that is an expression of personal close relationship to the location, company and stock clients. Moreover, the hotel working climate is a factor, mainly a success of the director. Some members of the team, my family and I would even consider closer to us than being expected. Carlos on the reception who makes a stay always almost possible even in the last minute....Alicia, who tooks even care on our childreen when ill during the trip...There are many personal relationships meanwhile.
Take your own experiences. Use this hotel in the heart of Barcelona. Allmost all nice places are in walking distance. It is silent, friendly and warm....
Dr. K. Weber

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank klaus w
DireccionDerbyHotels, Director de Recepción at Hotel Gran Derby Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2013

Dear guest,

We are really thankful for such nice and generous words about our team and our hotel. We have known each other, as you well said, from a long time ago and we cannot express how important for us is to know that after so many years of relationship you still feel this is your home in Barcelona.

We are looking forward to welcome you again soon,

Reviewed 15 March 2013

I was offered an upgrade upon my arrival and took it. I think this was a smart move on my part because the size and quality of the room and furnishings were appropriate to a junior suite. The bathroom (size, amenities) was a much appreciated luxury! The staff was helpful and well versed in all things Barcelona. While the restaurant seemed to be a bit of an oversight (in the basement with bright lights and an uncomfortable atmosphere), I never dined there because it was very unappealing. There is a neat spot to dine two doors down from the hotel and that was were I tended to drift at the end of a busy work day. The location is two streets away from Avenida Diagonal and for that, the location was good since this street traverses all of Barcelona. To sum it up, price to quality was a very good match.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
DireccionDerbyHotels, Director de Recepción at Hotel Gran Derby Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2013

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you, in the name of all the staff at Hotel Gran Derby and in my own, for the time and effort invested in elaborating this review of your stay at our hotel.

As well thank you for your kind words regarding the quality of the rooms. And of course the profesionality of our staff. It makes us feel we are directing our efforts through the right path

We hope to welcome you again soon so this gives you the chance to enjoy our 'Epsom' Scotch bar or our 'Times' restaurant, right in front of the reception

Best Regards,

Reviewed 14 March 2013

Great accommodations. Modern rooms very large & friendly staff. Clean rooms. Close to the hop on hop off bus. A little distance from main attractions. But plenty of transportation. I've been there twice they are quite accommodating,

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for your valuable time spent posting your opinion at Tripadvisor.

We are really thankful for your kind words about the hotel and of course about our staff.
we try to feel our guests as in its own home and this reviews help us to keep working
with enthusiasm.

Reviewed 6 March 2013

My partner and I spent a long weekend in Barcelona and had the pleasure of staying at the Gran Derby. Our room, a junior suite, was superb value for money and offered an abundance of space. The staff were really helpful and although the hotel is not in the centre of the city, there are transport links that can get you there in 15 minutes. We will be staying at the Gran Derby next time for sure.

Room Tip: The junior suites are huge considering their price and would recommend them.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
DireccionDerbyHotels, Director de Recepción at Hotel Gran Derby Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2013

Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your valuable time posting your opinion at Tripadvisor. We would also like to thank you for your nice words about our staff and the hotel. The company made a big effort to update the rooms to a more modern and enjoyable shape. It is very comforting to know that your stay was satisfactory and you are willing to come back to your place in Barcelona.

Reviewed 17 February 2013

I have stayed twice at the Gran Derby and I have appreciated the hotel both times. Large rooms with remarkable bathroom space and if you get a room with a view facing the backyard you might get a bay window with a glimpse of the swimming pool.

The only thing that could be a bit better is the breakfast. While not being bad at all, I found it a little limited. Very friendly staff.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
DireccionDerbyHotels, Director de Recepción at Hotel Gran Derby Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for the time you spent posting your opinion at Tripadvisor; to know what we’re doing right and the details we can improve is one of the best tools we have in order to offer an increasingly better service.

In the past couple of years we have refurbished almost all our rooms and now is the time when we can appreciate the results on kind commentaries like yours about our facilities and also about our staff.

We are looking forward to welcome you again in our hotel.

Carlos Ariza.