“amazing hotel, fantastic rooms and amazing views”

Gran Hotel Torre Catalunya
Ranked #98 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Cork, Ireland
“amazing hotel, fantastic rooms and amazing views”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

wow what an amazing hotel, stayed here for 2 nights with my family.the hotel is located close to barcelona sant train station and is a sort taxi ride from the airport(20 euro)
the hotel is really nice looking from the outside modern and sleek. the staff when you enter are friendly and helpful. the rooms are beautiful, amazing bathrooms and top notch comfortable huge beds. the view from our room was spectacular, we stayed here pre cruise and itwas perfect, the toruist sight seeing bus stops just across the road and there is taxis outside the door. it is a 5 min taxi ride to place de catalunya, the restaurant on top of the building is nice but i didnt eat there so cant judge the food.
this hotel offered and delivered everything i needed on my trip to barcelona and i would highly recommend staying there as i definitely will next time i visit

Room Tip: request rooms on top couple of floors as the views are worth it. breakfast is dear but there is nic...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank robkmurf

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (731)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Diego, California
Reviewed 27 October 2013

My daughter and I arrived for a week long vacation in Spain. We were only supposed to stay in Barcelona for one night. Unfortunately, on the first night, I got extremely ill. I was confined to this hotel for four nights, they sent me to a hospital, helped my daughter with food arrangements and due to my extreme illness, they charged me one third the normal price. We ended up getting an emergency flight home to the states. Edward (Edu Aparicio) was amazing!!!!! Don't know what we would have done without him.

Note: Don't get sick in spain! Hospitals are terrifying.

Room Tip: If you get a queen bed, ask for a pillow topper. These mattresses are HARD
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank CleanEarth3
Cambridge
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel because other reviews said it was close to the station - it is about 100m away - very close!!

But as well as proximity, we got a gorgeous room with a great view, an amazing bathroom (which was so large my wife failed to find the separate shower room) a good welcome on reception, and a very easy check out the following morning.

Overall, very good, well located for the station, and great rooms.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GilesDobson
Bishopton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2013

stayed here with my wife and son (12) for 4 nights from 13th October. First visit to any major city, I prefer to be near good transport links, so GHTC ticked that box. I could almost have thrown my son from the station to reception! Check was speedy and efficient, in fact I was greeted by name when I presented myself at the desk; a nice touch.I paid to upgrade from 10th floor room to a larger 17th floor; worth the extra 13 euros per nite, IMO, for the view alone. After unpacking I returned to reception where the chap who'd checked me in spent about 10 minutes marking a Barcelona map with some info and advising me on the best places to go and also avoid; again a nice touch. All hotel staff I interacted with were very helpful and made me feel that I was a valued customer. Whilst the hotel isn't particularly central, the Metro is very efficient and cheap. We used it at least twice daily. Buy T10 tickets; great value.There were plenty of small restaurants in the vicinity of the hotel. The hotel staff are happy to point you in the right direction of where best to go.

Room Tip: it's worth paying a little extra for a room on a high floor; the views are fabulous
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Alan K
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 26 October 2013

This hotel has all the big hotel vibes but is clean, functional and most important for us is over the road from Barcelona Sants and close to the bus station for the Andorra bus. The welcome cocktail was a nice touch. The room and in particular the bathroom was large. The jug so you could make a cup of tea / coffee was something unusual for a European hotel and much appreciated. Having to negotiate the smokers to get in the front door was not nice.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Leighton Buzzard
Reviewed 26 October 2013

My partner and I recently returned from a 3 night break in Barcelona. I chose this hotel for the facilities and quality of the room. Even before arriving I had excellent communication with the staff , and i was able to arrange for some chocolates with strawberries , champagne and flowers to be left in the room on our arrival as a surprise for my partner. The hotel also arranged for a shuttle to collect us from the airport which only involved a 25 minute wait , and was much cheaper than using the taxi. The staff were very attentive on arrival and throughout our stay. The room was very nice and the view was stunning , looking ahead towards the MNAC,Olympic Stadium and the magic fountain. The room was clean and spacious and we had all the facilities we could need including a decent shower room and toiletries , combs , spare toothbrushes etc . There was a minibar and you could have food brought to your room but we didn't use either of these as they were expensive . Breakfast and dinner is served on the top floor in the Visual restaurant . if you stay at this hotel then eating here is a must at least once because the view is fantastic. Breakfast was excellent with plenty of hot and cold options , and plenty of variety. We loved the location , opposite is Sants station and the Parc de L'Espanya . Around the corner along Carrer de Tarragona there are plenty of nice places to eat , which have much cheaper prices than the touristy spots like La Ramblas etc ,or you can walk to the bullring 'La Monumental' which is now a shopping centre with plenty of nice restaurants ,
and great views from the top . The walk takes less than 10 minutes . Best of all in the evening you can walk another 5 minutes from here and you can view the 'Magic Fountain' display . The MNAC and Olympic Stadium are also within walking distance of the hotel . The Bus Turistic stops across the road from Sants station and you can purchase tickets at the hotel reception. We both had a wonderful time and we would love to stay at this hotel again . Thoroughly recommended.

Room Tip: Executive and suites are on the higher floors and have amazing views.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Take the upgrade room! When we had problems with our first two rooms, we were upgraded to the higher level floors with a nice view facing NW. The hotel staff were sincerely interested in making our stay great. The rooms on the other side (maybe another upgrade?) had a view of downtown Barcelona and the Magic Fountain just blocks from the hotel.
Gran Hotel Torre Catalunya is close to the train station to get into Barcelona and a reasonable walk to a multi-line Metro station so with some travel you could get around Barcelona. It would have been a great location to hop to towns outside of the city. We found little good food choices close by so we had to either travel or scramble to find something. It was a good spot to relax before we packed and moved to the next city. The business centre was helpful for getting our boarding documents printed.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the highest floors, west side gets you, a terrific view of train station, sunsets over ci...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple