“Excellent Hotel - Comfortable, great location and friendly staff”

Gran Hotel Torre Catalunya
Ranked #101 of 516 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We stayed at the hotel last week while attending the Formula 1 Spanish Grand Prix. The location of the hotel worked really well for us as it was beside Sants Station where we were able to get the train out to the track every day. Everything already said about the fabulous rooms is true...we had a suite on the 15th floor overlooking the Magic Fountains! The view was spectacular and the room was perfect. Lovely big comfy robes and none of these skinny Minnie bath towels....in this hotel they had luxuriously big bath towels to wrap up in.

Our visit to the Grand Prix was a celebratory present and as such we also booked The Romantic package which included breakfast each day and a small meal with cava on arrival. When we arrived late at night our room was so welcoming, with music playing, rose petals scattered around and some really tasty treats left with the chilled bottle of cava. After our long day it was so nice to have that glass of cool cava. A great welcome to Barcelona.

Breakfast each day in the Visual Restaurant was fantastic....the staff there are very nice especially one lady who went out of her way each day to chat with us. Great selection of hot and cold food however, as we like to breakfast late in the last half hour of service, on a couple of the days they had no bacon left.

The area around the hotel is good, we walked most places from there. If you want to get off the beaten track the area of Sants, behind the hotel and the station has some lovely local restaurants, bars and shops.

I would highly recommend this hotel, everything about it is good and I would love to return again to it in the future.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,893)

Reviewed 16 May 2014

We spent 5 nights at this hotel. The check in was fiendly and efficient, I had asked for a room on a higher floor after making my reservation through Expedia and the were able to accomodate. We decided to purchase the buffet breakfast at check in becasue the agent said it would be less expensive than purchasing in the restaurant each day. It was a little over 13 euro and had a great selection of hot and cold foods, juices, fruit. The proximity to the Sants station is convenient for day trips (we bought a 10 trip Regional ticket to get to and from the Grand Prix)and metro rides (can also get multiple trip/day tickets) to other parts of the city. It is also a 15 to 20 minute walk to the art museum. The room was quiet, spacious and immaculate with a king size bed. The bathroom had a separate stall for the shower, the toilet & bidet, double sinks and large tub. The top floor where breakfast is served gives you a 360 view of the city. We had a light dinner at the restaurant, Visual, one night and the night view of the city was breathtaking and the food was very good. At the end of our stay we took the Regional (R2) train to the airport. The line ends at terminal 2 and we had to take a shuttle bus to terminal A for our flight to the U.S. The bus was right outside and they arrive every few minutes. We loved Barcelona and if we are fortunate enough to return we'll be staying at the Torre Catalunya.

Room Tip: The rooms on the higher floors are more expensive but the view is worth it.
1  Thank Kathy P
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I booked this hotel for a surprise birthday trip for my husband and we weren't disappointed.
From the time we got off the plane it was so straight forward. A T10 ticket gets you all over the city be it by train, metro, or bus. The lady at reception was very informative when checking in. Also upgraded us to a room on the 17th floor with magnifisent views of the city. On reaching our room all I could say was wow!! Beautiful big room with a hugh bed and robes and slippers for us both.
The bathroom was amazing, the walkin shower was big enough for you both with water pressure that blew you away!!

I booked my sightseeing tickets at the hotel with no problems, they also made me a reservation at a particular hotel one night. No problems.

Breakfast was wonderful and the selection was endless. Cereal, juices eggs,fruits,meats,cheeses,breads,pastries.And a hot selection also. Along with different flavoured teas or coffee. The restaurant is on the top floor ,so you have a panaramic view over the whole of the city.

A nice touch of a cake for my husband on his birthday also... Thank-you.

I would definatley recommend this hotel for your city break, especially with the main train station just outside.

We will return again at some point. Thank -You.

Room Tip: 17th floor or above for the good views.
Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

From check in to check out this hotel couldn't do enough for you. Myself and my boyfriend are a young couple and this hotel was ideal. We asked a few nights If they could recommend restaurants and they were always so helpful also we asked about how to get to various attractions. Our room was on the 22nd floor and we did pay extra for a room with panoramic views which I would definitely recommend as the views were fabulous. The room was amazing! So clean and the comfiest bed I have ever slept in better than my own back home! We ordered room service when we arrived late and it was very reasonably priced.

Would definitely recommend this hotel and stay there again. The breakfast was great and there was always lots of choice.

The train station is ideally located across the road. We got a taxi to the hotel when we arrived as we arrived late this cost us €30. We saw all the sights over 2 days using the open top bus. You can buy a 2 day pass for €35 each. We spend the another whole day visiting the Montserrat. That was beautiful and would definitely recommend! We went to the train station Sants and there were posters all around with info on how to get there. We paid €45 each for all the busses and transport to the top and back and this also included a 3 course meal!

A beautiful hotel in a beautiful city.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Laura2002_11
Reviewed 16 May 2014

When I need to stay in Barcelona, I look no further than this hotel. The reception staff are exemplary in their friendliness and attitude, the facilities are ideal and the rooms more than adequate for the seasoned traveller.

I have now stayed at this hotel numerous times..and whether for business, a visit to the Nou Camp, a few days break, it is ideally located for all transport systems and is only a moments walk from the buzzing Plaza Espagna. Look no further!

I enjoyed the bar food in Eclectik, and when my room was not quite ready, I was given a welcome drink. I purchased a Club Sandwich which was beautifully presented...

I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel...

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher floors..it's worth the supplement for an upgrade. The views are am...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 May 2014

The best thing about this hotel is it's location. It is opposite the Sants Estació tube station and this gives very easy access to most of Barcelona within 10-15 mins. We travelled everywhere by train - inc to the airport (use the T-10 pass which costs around 10 euros and gives you 10 single journeys and can be shared between ppl).

The hotel was generally clean and although we had a few problems with our room, these were promptly dealt with by staff.

Nice view from the restaurant/breakfast area. The spa was also well maintained and the book shelf downstairs was an added bonus as I had forgotten my book at home! :)

Overall, I would recommend this hotel for such reasonable rates in a great location!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dipa S
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Excellent base for enjoying the city. Spacious room, clean and all the facilities I needed but did feel more than a little luxurious for the price. I would certainly go back there (and hope to one day!!)

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the city as it's that way you'll be guaranteed a view worth seeing
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo