“Very nice and comfortable rooms”

Gran Hotel Torre Catalunya
Ranked #95 of 514 Hotels in Barcelona
Cleveland, Ohio
“Very nice and comfortable rooms”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I stayed here for 6 nights while I was in Barcelona for a conference. The room was spacious and light with great views. The bathroom was fantastic. It had a huge shower and separate bathtub. The location was good for getting on the metro at Barcelona Sants, but not the best if you want to be close to the old town and beach. I felt that the breakfast was not worth the exorbitant cost. You have to pay extra to use the exercise room, pool, and to get a room on a higher floor. Carefully check your bill upon check-out. I was erroneously billed for an extra breakfast. Overall, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (727)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Prestatyn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Excellent, friendly check in. Stored our luggage until check in time. Very large corner room with fantastic views. Clean and very well appointed room with fridge and ice machine on corridor. Very large comfy bed with loads of pillows. Located adjacent to Sants station, direct line to airport and centre of city. Tourist bus stops a few minutes walk away. Had to leave a night early due to family emergency. Hotel staff absolutely fantastic managing to book a last minute flight and got us away in time to catch it. We will never forget your service...thank you.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank florida7718
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I stayed in this hotel after my cruise for 8 days and the staff are very friendly and informative for any questions you have.They even congratulated me for my birthday and gave me cake.The rooms are very large and clean.Although it isn't right in the centre of old town the metro is right next door and it's a few stops down and you are there.I purposely stayed a little away from the old town because you see a lot more of barcelona than get stuck in same area.
I highly recommend this hotel because of the nice staff and nice large rooms and clean.

Room Tip: If you want to view Barcelona 360 view choose the higher floor and you get a great view .
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank cinzia196726
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 July 2014

My wife and I just returned from our trip to Spain which ended in Barcelona where we spent three nights at the Gran Torre Catalunya.

My primary reason for choosing this hotel was its proximity to Barcelona Sants train station since our flight home left the airport at 7am along with the many positive reports on TripAdvisor. When you leave Sants through the main entrance, the hotel will be to your right. In five minutes, or less, you will be the lobby.

I spent the 10 extra Euros for a high floor room based on reviews and was happy with that choice. The only time we heard noise from below was when a concert was going on in the park near the train station. Aside from that, it was very quiet. Our view from the 15th floor was of the train station on one side and the Torre’s sister hotel on the other. The magic fountain could be seen in the distance. All in all, nothing spectacular about the view.

The room was large with a bathroom that contained two sinks, tub, shower that could fit a family of four, toilet and bidet. There was a mini-bar fridge that we used to hold our own stuff and a kettle to heat water. There were packets of Nescafe coffee and tea. The bed was comfortable with an abundance of pillows.

While I was fine with the room, it really seemed worn and long overdue for an update. I felt the same about the rest of the hotel. The furniture in the room was chipped in many places. While the bathroom was large and worked fine, it also seemed dated and the shade was off the guide that allowed you to open it if you wanted too. To me, the hotel just had a feeling that it was nice once upon a time, but no real care had been given to it.

There was an ice machine on each floor, but the one on the 15th never worked during our stay. In fact, that was the case on the four floors I went to in search of ice until I finally found one that did work.

The staff were all nice, but no one went out of their way past checking you in and giving you your room keys. There is no separate concierge to ask questions so if you did have a question to ask later on, you would need to wait for the front desk staff to handle the people checking in or out or who had their own questions. There also was no mention that we had access to the pool on the hotel roof across from the Torre. I only knew about it from reviews here.

WiFi, included in the room price, worked fine.

There is not much in the way of restaurants in the general vicinity of the hotel, but there are two decently sized supermarkets less than a half mile away.

I didn't bother with the extra cost for the breakfast since my wife and I are light eaters.

All in all, I was happy with the Torre. I wanted a hotel near the train station for ease of access to the airport and it met that need. If that wasn't my need, I would probably look for something that gave better walking access to the main sites of Barcelona.

From my perspective, this hotel deserves a solid 3 rating.

Odds and ends:

The tourist bus has a stop right next to the Sants train station.

The train ride to the airport takes about 15 minutes. If you are flying out of terminal 1, you will need to take a free shuttle bus once you arrive. The walk to the shuttle is less than ten minutes, but the bus ride to terminal 1 can take as long as the train ride from Sants.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank CCK3510
Leeds
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Hotel from 25th To 28th July to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. I read about upgrading the room on Trip Advisor so we did so, and I have to say it is well worth it. We had room 1919 & the view was fantastic.
The Hotel is perfectly positioned for either the Metro or Bus tours, both of which we used.
We used the restaurant on the first night & the meal was very nice. A word of warning, and the only criticism of the hotel, 27euros for two G&T's is a bit steep.
Staff were extremely helpful and courteous, especially the breakfast staff.
Our room was a good size and very clean, with hair dryer/iron/ironing board/safe/shaving equipment/dressing gowns/slippers/drinks bar & all the usual soaps and shampoo etc.
When we returned to our room on Sunday we found the room was decorated with flowers and candles and a bottle of champers. This was a lovely touch and shows attention to detail.
All in all I would recommend this Hotel to anyone.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Honourable_man
Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed 29 July 2014

The Gran Torre Catalunya was great. Our room was very clean and spacious. We were nervous that it would be loud as it overlooks a busy street, but there were no issues. The staff was very friendly, giving us a map and answering all of our questions about what to do/ how to get everywhere. Also free wifi in the rooms was definitely a plus.

The only setback was that the hotel is not walking distance to most of the main sites. HOWEVER, the hotel is right next to the Sants train station which gives you easy access to the metro, where you can take everywhere(The T-10 ticket is 10.30 euro and gives you 10 rides on the metro or bus). So if you don't mind hoping on a metro, the location really is not a problem.

Overall, had a great stay!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank rds8000
Somewhere in Europe
Reviewed 29 July 2014

This hotel is good but not fantastic.
IMHO it's overrated and doesn't deserve its 4*s: room and bathroom are old fashioned (BTW I saw again after long a CRT TV and a cassette player!), just clean (not gleaming as they'd be) and showing some maintenance issues (for example, we had to block the window with a paper wedge, but we faced also other small problems).
Moreover, we booked a panoramic view (at a small extra cost) but we couldn't get a room facing Montjuic and the sea (we got a room on the opposite side).
Room WiFi is free and works very well.
Value for money is very good, anyway, especially if you grasp a special offer.
Hotel location is fair in general (quite far from attractions and city life), it turns excellent only if you use the train (we did not).
Staff was OK, polite but not overwhelmingly helpful.
A hint for newcomers to Barcelona is that taxis are very cheap (even if not always clean) and therefore can be used very often.

Room Tip: Book panoramic rooms at a small extra cost (prefer corner rooms).
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple