“Breathtaking views!”

Gran Hotel Torre Catalunya
Ranked #101 of 515 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I have come back to review this hotel as I stayed last summer and realise I hadn't left a comment here.
We stayed in August 2013 to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We upgraded our room to a suite on one of the top floors and I cannot recommend this enough! The views are spectacular. Check in was a breeze and we were welcomed each time we came into the hotel throughout our stay by the staff. Our room was perfect we could literally map out our day from our bedroom window! The bed was enormous and comfortable. The bathroom was equally great with a fab walk in shower. Before we arrived we had a few questions about getting to the hotel from the airport and I received very helpful replies via Facebook and email from the staff. It is not in the centre of everything going on but we enjoyed walking everywhere from here. The station is across the road and the magic fountains just ten minutes away. We even walked to the beach in under an hour if you are feeling up to it. There is a small spa in the basement, which was lovely to while away an hour before dinner. We tried the hotel restaurant on the top floor, which was okay. The breakfast each morning was delicious and worth paying extra for each day. Another lovely gesture was the bottle of bubbles awaiting us for our anniversary celebration. You can't go wrong here.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite on the higher floors for the most amazing views on the city!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 August 2014

We booked via lastminute.com and didn't expect to find anything wonderful, however we were very pleasantly surprised. We stayed for 4 nights. Station with trains to and from airport just over the road. We were offered a free upgrade to an executive suite on arrival which was really spacious and comfortable. The hotel isn't close to the centre of Barcelona so we had a 40 minute walk on the 1st day into the centre but it was really easy. The 2nd day we jumped on the metro to Ocata beach - really easy journey & beautifully quiet beach. 3rd day, we did the tourist buses around Barcelona which left from Sants station. Loads of good restaurants close to hotel. Everyone at the hotel was friendly and really helpful. Can't recommend highly enough!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We chose the Gran Hotel Torre Catalunya as it is across from the Sants train station. This made our arrival and departure super smooth. Plus the location allowed us to take the Metro to the beach on day 1 and do the tourist bus on day 2. We were able to walk to shopping and Tapas Tapas. Another night we took a cab for less than 10 Euro to the Ramblas for dinner and shopping.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank McJaneyE
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I stayed here for 6 nights while I was in Barcelona for a conference. The room was spacious and light with great views. The bathroom was fantastic. It had a huge shower and separate bathtub. The location was good for getting on the metro at Barcelona Sants, but not the best if you want to be close to the old town and beach. I felt that the breakfast was not worth the exorbitant cost. You have to pay extra to use the exercise room, pool, and to get a room on a higher floor. Carefully check your bill upon check-out. I was erroneously billed for an extra breakfast. Overall, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Excellent, friendly check in. Stored our luggage until check in time. Very large corner room with fantastic views. Clean and very well appointed room with fridge and ice machine on corridor. Very large comfy bed with loads of pillows. Located adjacent to Sants station, direct line to airport and centre of city. Tourist bus stops a few minutes walk away. Had to leave a night early due to family emergency. Hotel staff absolutely fantastic managing to book a last minute flight and got us away in time to catch it. We will never forget your service...thank you.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank florida7718
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I stayed in this hotel after my cruise for 8 days and the staff are very friendly and informative for any questions you have.They even congratulated me for my birthday and gave me cake.The rooms are very large and clean.Although it isn't right in the centre of old town the metro is right next door and it's a few stops down and you are there.I purposely stayed a little away from the old town because you see a lot more of barcelona than get stuck in same area.
I highly recommend this hotel because of the nice staff and nice large rooms and clean.

Room Tip: If you want to view Barcelona 360 view choose the higher floor and you get a great view .
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank cinzia196726
Reviewed 30 July 2014

My wife and I just returned from our trip to Spain which ended in Barcelona where we spent three nights at the Gran Torre Catalunya.

My primary reason for choosing this hotel was its proximity to Barcelona Sants train station since our flight home left the airport at 7am along with the many positive reports on TripAdvisor. When you leave Sants through the main entrance, the hotel will be to your right. In five minutes, or less, you will be the lobby.

I spent the 10 extra Euros for a high floor room based on reviews and was happy with that choice. The only time we heard noise from below was when a concert was going on in the park near the train station. Aside from that, it was very quiet. Our view from the 15th floor was of the train station on one side and the Torre’s sister hotel on the other. The magic fountain could be seen in the distance. All in all, nothing spectacular about the view.

The room was large with a bathroom that contained two sinks, tub, shower that could fit a family of four, toilet and bidet. There was a mini-bar fridge that we used to hold our own stuff and a kettle to heat water. There were packets of Nescafe coffee and tea. The bed was comfortable with an abundance of pillows.

While I was fine with the room, it really seemed worn and long overdue for an update. I felt the same about the rest of the hotel. The furniture in the room was chipped in many places. While the bathroom was large and worked fine, it also seemed dated and the shade was off the guide that allowed you to open it if you wanted too. To me, the hotel just had a feeling that it was nice once upon a time, but no real care had been given to it.

There was an ice machine on each floor, but the one on the 15th never worked during our stay. In fact, that was the case on the four floors I went to in search of ice until I finally found one that did work.

The staff were all nice, but no one went out of their way past checking you in and giving you your room keys. There is no separate concierge to ask questions so if you did have a question to ask later on, you would need to wait for the front desk staff to handle the people checking in or out or who had their own questions. There also was no mention that we had access to the pool on the hotel roof across from the Torre. I only knew about it from reviews here.

WiFi, included in the room price, worked fine.

There is not much in the way of restaurants in the general vicinity of the hotel, but there are two decently sized supermarkets less than a half mile away.

I didn't bother with the extra cost for the breakfast since my wife and I are light eaters.

All in all, I was happy with the Torre. I wanted a hotel near the train station for ease of access to the airport and it met that need. If that wasn't my need, I would probably look for something that gave better walking access to the main sites of Barcelona.

From my perspective, this hotel deserves a solid 3 rating.

Odds and ends:

The tourist bus has a stop right next to the Sants train station.

The train ride to the airport takes about 15 minutes. If you are flying out of terminal 1, you will need to take a free shuttle bus once you arrive. The walk to the shuttle is less than ten minutes, but the bus ride to terminal 1 can take as long as the train ride from Sants.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family