“Wonderful Stay in Perfect Location”
Review of Hotel Pulitzer

Hotel Pulitzer
Ranked #97 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 17 January 2010

Recently completed a 5 night stay at the Hotel Pulitzer. The location, right off the Placa Catalunya was perfect, close to transportation hubs, restaurants, and shopping, as well as many of the city's sights. We arrived early at 8:30 AM, the staff stored our luggage and we went out to explore Las Ramblas. We came back at check-in time and were helped to our room by Derreck who would prove to be extremely personable and helpful throughout our stay.
Several evenings we had a drink at the bar or some small plate - the Ham Iberico and Manchego cheese was excellent. The bar staff was friendly, especially Javi.
Our room was nice. quiet at night, plenty of storage space, and was cleaned every day. The balcony opened out onto the street which could be noisy at night if the doors were left open. We had breakfast one morning and it was very good - fresh OJ, and delicious Cafe con Leche, and a serious variety of breakfast food from yogurt , fresh fruit, eggs, meat ,cheese , and wonderful pastries.
Overall a wonderful stay. The location was perfect, the staff always helpful, and a cozy and comfortable room. I would highly recommend.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
jmsanchez, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2010

Dear Madam/Sir,

I would like to thank you for your comments posted.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you would like to visit us again.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Pulitzer

Reviewed 16 January 2010

We spent a week in this hotel in January 2010 and here's our experience.

The Location.
The location is apsolutely superb! It's 30 meters away from Placa Catalunya, which is probably the very heart of the city, with metro lines to everywhere and every imaginable shop at a walking distance. This is probably the best selling point for this hotel! The hotel is stylish, with very modern and pleasant interior.

The Room.
We stayed in a double room on the second floor. The room is modernly furnished (see photos), with hi-tech light switches (yes, it takes some time to figure it out!), flat TV etc. AirCon was working flawlessly. The room was actually more spacious than we had expected (perhaps it was because of the high ceiling?), however it had, somewhat paradoxically, one very big flaw: it was too narrow! If you carefully examine the photos, you'll see that the only way to walk between the bed and the TV was to carefully walk sideways and try not to hit and break the TV. Quite frustrating. I imagine this is why the wall opposite of the bed had so many "skid marks". The room could use a floor lamp of some sort and a real desk would be nice. And we sorely missed a water heater (coffee/tea maker) and some cups.
The room was quite clean, but showing some sign of wear and tear here and there, with quite a lot of "skid marks" on the wall and scratches on the floor. The bathroom was nice and stylish (see photos), but perhaps lacking a few important details, such as a place to place your shampoo bottle while showering, at least one bath handle or railing, more hooks for the towels etc. Also, I think a heated (i.e. fog-free) mirror would be nice in a four-star hotel.
There is free WiFi Internet throughout the hotel, with decent speed. There was also an ethernet port in the wall, so I imagine you can get a wired connection as well (didn't try it, though).

The Breakfast.
The breakfast is served untill 11.00 Mon-Fri and until 12.00 Sat-Sun, which we, being late sleepers, thought was awesome! The buffet itself was, on the other hand, in some aspects quite basic and the quality of food was not bad, but nothing to write home about either! A big lump of (somewhat dissapointing and overcooked) scrambled eggs, potato tortillas, fried bacon (but not crispy), fried potatos (but not every day), flatbread with cheese, grilled tomatoes... Some slices of salami, ham (but nothing resembling the famous Spanish ham). Some Brie, Manchego and Ementaler. Some cornflakes, mussli and fresh fruit. Three kinds of freshly made juice (delicious!) and other beverages. American-style coffee, tea in bags and an assortment of pastries, which would have been delicious if they were all warm and perfectly fresh, however I could swear that quite a few of the served croisants and pain au chocolat spent the night in fridge. All in all, it will fill your stomach, but there's absolutely nothing gourmet about it and I'm not sure if it's worth paying extra €15.00 for it.

The Service.
We didn't have much contact with the staff, nor did we have many requests. In fact, the only request we did have was the one made during the booking process: we asked for a room on a high floor with a nice view and that reqest was completely ignored (we didn't pursue this matter further though). The waiting staff in the breakfast launge had a very casual attitude of "sit wherever you want, pour yourself your coffee and explore the buffet". This was perfectly fine by us, but some people might expect a little bit more attention in a four-star hotel. The front-desk staff was polite and efficient, although it was a bit surprising that we were not even asked a simple "How was your stay?" question during the check-out. We might have had a chance to explain why we would probably not return to this hotel, nor why we couldn't really recommend it to a friend. And here is the reason.

THE NOISE.
There. All things aside, this is the ultimate and definite deal breaker! And we don't mean the street noise. The room's soundproofing is non-existant! If the people in the next room are coughing, you'll hear it. If they are having fun, don't worry, you'll know about it. If they are wearing high heels, you'll notice. Even more disturbing are the noises from the corridor. The noises are to be expected, just like in any other hotel, but obviously the room door does absolutely nothing to stop or absorb them.
What this effectively means is this: If you wanted to sleep in (it's your vacation, right?), forget about out it! There's no sleep after 08.00 a.m. (and remember, it's still dark at that time in Barcelona in winter!). Elevator "dinging", people chattering, door slamming, trolleys rolling, it all starts! If you are lucky, that is. If you are not lucky , then you might get woken up several times during the night. And we do not consider ourselves to be light sleepers at all! What's worse, I am pretty sure changing the room would note have make any difference at all!

All in all, appox. €140.00 per night, which is what we paid (breakfast inclusive), might be a good off-season rate for this kind of accomodation on this kind of location. However, the noise problem and the inability to have a good night's sleep is the reason why we can't recommend this hotel.

Dear Madam/Sir,

I would like to thank you for all your comments about your stay, I will inform all the departaments involved about them. I really appreciatte your opinion and we will try to sort them out in order to improve our service.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you would like to visit Barcelona again.

Reviewed 13 January 2010

Nice hotel 20 mt far from Placa the Catalona Y la Rambla. Very suggested for the position, the rooms are confortable so as the bath. nice bar dowstairs.

Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
jmsanchez, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2010

Dear Madam/Sir,

Thank you very much for your comments posted.

Reviewed 12 January 2010

Just returned from Barcelona. Stayed at the Hotel Pulitzer - loveley hotel. Good rooms, Quiet, no street noise (our room was on floor 5) very friendly staff. Fabulous location. Excellent choice for breakfast. No food in the eveining - dining room closed - maybe it would have been better to have been notified of this prior to our arrival. Would stay here again and would recommend to all.

Dear Madam/Sir,

I would like to thank you for your comments posted. I apologize for the inconveniences due to the restaurant at night, as you mentioned our restaurant Visit is closed at dinner time from December 2009 on however we offer a quick menu called Easy food at the Bar from 7am to 12pm.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you would like to visit us again.

Reviewed 11 January 2010

This is our third stay at this hotel everytime we visit Barcelona and sadly will be our last. We have noticed that the level of service and quality of the room is going downhill.
1. We requested for a non-smoking room and we were given a smoking room. There were cigarette butts in the shower/toilet room.
2. The room is not clean. Scuff and black marks all over the wall plust the cigarette butts in the shower/toilet room. A so called 4 star hotel would be like this.
3. Checking out service was very rude. We checked out early at 7am and the receptionist was very rude for some reason. Just the attitude was unbelievable. Anyway what goes around comes around.
As I said at the beginning this is not our first stay here but our third however after the attitude and the quality of the room they've provided us we will go and spend our money somewhere else.

2  Thank Westy2405
jmsanchez, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2010

Dear Madam/Sir,

First of all I would like to thank you for your comments even when they are not positive. I would like to have more details about your incidentals and I would be pleased if you would be able to contact me if possible.
I really apologize for the inconveniences caused and I would be interested in changing your point of viiew about our Hotel.

Once again thank you

Reviewed 2 January 2010

The Pulitzer is in my opinion the best hotel in Barcelona. The lobby and roofterrace are great places to lounge about, the rooms are a bit small but very well appointed, and the location superb! The friendly staff speak fluent english. I stayed here on several times and will book this hotel everytime I am in Barcelona. My only worry is that booking them may become difficult if they keep this up.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business

Dear Madam/Sir,

Thank you for your comments. We will try keeping this up however please do not hesitate to contact me if you would like to come back and I would do my best to offer you our best offer.

Reviewed 1 January 2010

Lovely hotel with wonderful accommodations and a free pass to one of the nicest gyms I have ever frequented. The staff was fantastic, very responsive, and the price was far below what I would have expected for such a A-1 hotel experience.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends

Dear Madam/Sir,

I would like to thank you for your comments, I really appreciatte them. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you would like to visit us again.