“Fantastic experience”

Axel Hotel Barcelona & Urban Spa
Ranked #171 of 515 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I had head about axel for many years but don't get the chance to go to Barcelona that often, but glad a finally did. Axel is a fantastic hotel with great service. I was reading some of the reviews below and I don't agree with some of the complaints. The staff are exceptional, and the morning breakfast is out of this world.

Stayed: November 2013
JORGEPEREZ, Director General at Axel Hotel Barcelona & Urban Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Dear Guest,

I am so glad to read such great comment
We really appreciate your time to give us your opinion, for us is always welcomed our guests help to improve our services.
We are pleased to have had you with us and we hope to see you very soon in Axel Hotel Barcelona.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 13 January 2014

We stayed for four nights at the beginning of January, at an exceptionally good rate. The location in Eixample (in the area nicknamed the Gaixample) was excellent for connecting to the metro, with many good restaurants nearby, a pleasant and walkable neighborhood, etc.
Our room was Euromodern, clean and bright, well serviced (with the exception of the wifi, which went down for an extended period twice -- we have had better wifi at Days Inns and La Quintas in the US!). Wonderful shower head and hot water in a bathroom that, to us, felt spacious by European standards. The windows opened out on the street via a mini-balcony, which we liked, but at the same time they were double-glazed so sleeping with our portable white noise on was not a problem (no serious noise from adjoining rooms, either). We are nonsmokers sensitive to smoke and did not detect any in the room or the halls.
As a gay American couple who travels to Europe about once a year, usually staying at B&Bs or small hotels, we found we were quite comfortable at the Axel; there was a nice mix of gay men and also seemed to be a good number of non-gay folks who were enjoying their stay, too. We would definitely consider staying here again on a return visit to Barcelona; it was our first visit to this terrific city and we hope it will not be our last.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DukeofDutchess
JORGEPEREZ, Director General at Axel Hotel Barcelona & Urban Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Dear Guest,

We are really pleased that you stayed with us during your last visit in Barcelona. We really are in the center of Barcelona and your opinion about our location it´s very helpful for us, but specially for other Trip Advisor visitors.

I am sorry if you had problems with the WiFi, we are sure this has been a particular case and that we will remedy immediately, thank you very much again for your help to improve even more.

We hope to see you very soon here again with us.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 11 January 2014

Axel Hotel has a great location and the prices are decent enough, but that is about all it has going for it. The interior is a bit run down with a stale taste of pre-recession gloss. The rooms are a bit like staying in a dormitory with uncomfortable beds and tacky furnishings. The worse part is the fact that you can literally hear every single room surrounding you and everything that is going on in there from snoring to pooping. Plus you get the lovely aroma of cigarette smoke drifting in under your door to top off the less than enjoyable experience.

There is a Band & Olufsen phone in the room that gives zero directions of how to call the front desk which doesn't really matter anyway because there is only apparently one person working in the hotel at a time so they are usually so inundated with other guests complaining that they would never answer anyway.

I highly do not recommend this place.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
JORGEPEREZ, Director General at Axel Hotel Barcelona & Urban Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Dear Guest,

We have taken note of your comments and hope to remedy soon, in order to improve our quality and service.
We really appreciate your time and your opinion.

I hope to see you soon in Axel Hotel Barcelona or at one of our Axel Hotels around the world.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

Had a great stay at the axel. Its two blocks from metro station in a central location. Its worth upgrading to a superior room with outside views. Wifi was good. The staff friendly and helpful. Massages although a bit expensive were worth it. Only criticism is that you have to pay ?10 every time you want to use the spa.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment about Axel Hotel Barcelona. We are pleased that you have stay in our hotel. We strive to provide the ultimate service while maintaining an enjoyable atmosphere. Nothing is more important to us than well being of our customers.

We look forward to seeing you here again in the not-too-distant future.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 10 January 2014

What I like about the Axel Hotel is the consistency of the service, from the warm welcome I receive, welcoming me back from the friendly Front Desk Staff, particularly Daniel, who remembered me from my very first visit and always greets me by name, without any prompting. The room is always great and I usually get the same one, which makes me feel at home from the start. When I stay in the summer I particularly enjoy Saturday nights at the rooftop Sky Bar. I wouldn't dream of staying at any other hotel in Barcelona

Room Tip: I usually get an upgrade so I get a street view which gets the sun in the mornings
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank John B

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your great opinion!!
We are pleased to have had you with us again and we hope to see you soon at any of our worldwide Axel Hotels.

Million thanks,

Reviewed 8 January 2014

We had a wonderful city facing room with outside stained glass terrace and jacuzzi bath. Room was very spacious and had amazing views. We also stayed over New Years and one of our trip highlights was watching the fireworks display across the city from the rooftop sky bar and then heading down the the champagne bar to party the morning away :)

However, the housekeeping could be a bit slow. Some days the rooms hadn't been made up at 5pm and we would need to go looking for housekeeping to chase them up. The hotel should also allow fee access to the Spa. Charging an additional €10 each time to access the spa is ridiculous.

• Stayed: January 2014
JORGEPEREZ, Director General at Axel Hotel Barcelona & Urban Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for staying with us during such special dates. Also thank you for your opinion and for sharing it with all travelers on Trip Advisor.

For next time, please let us know you want your room cleaned before and our housekeeping department will have it perfectly clean and ready for you.

Your opinion it´s very helpful for us, we hope to see you very soon,

Reviewed 7 January 2014

We previously stayed in the Axel hotel in Berlin and loved everything about it, so we thought we'd give the Barcelona one a try. We stayed here for 5 days over the Christmas and new year 2014 period and in hindsight I wished I'd booked somewhere else.

The good point(s) are:
1. the hotel is near the gay area with its bars and clubs and saunas, so easy to get to and back (if that is your thing) and it is also very handy for town and sightseeing.
2. Front of desk staff were all helpful.

Bad points are:
1. Room we stayed in was very small with limited space for clothes and bags/cases from two people.
2. Towels were old, worn and no longer white...not very appealing.
3. Breakfast was very poor...very little fresh stuff - who'd like some warm curled up cheese and meat? Had it not been included in the price I would have gone elsewhere for breakfast. Very good and fresh bread is so easy to get in Barcelona so I was most disappointed with the lack of fresh bread at breakfast.
4. Facilities were ok but €10.00 to use the steam room/sauna for guests?? Gym was free though...but where is it not??

In short, I think that it isn't enough in today's market to just rely on gay travellers staying at a hotel simply because it is catering for the gay market...especially when Barcelona is one of the most gay-friendly cities in Europe...and any hotel would be more than happy to have you stay with them.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
JORGEPEREZ, Director General at Axel Hotel Barcelona & Urban Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for visiting Axel Hotel Barcelona, second I would also like to apologize if your experience has not been what you would expect from us.
I have taken note of your comments and we will fix them in order to improve our quality and service.

We really appreciate your time to give us your opinion and I invite you to try our Premium or Suite rooms that are much more spacious

I hope you can give us a second chance and we can see you soon in Barcelona.

Yours Sincerely,