“Great Place to Stay in Barcelona”

Axel Hotel Barcelona & Urban Spa
Ranked #207 of 514 Hotels in Barcelona
USA
“Great Place to Stay in Barcelona”
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Very comfortable, clean, and modern hotel near the Universitat metro station and within easy walking distance to Placa de Catalunya, La Rambla, El Barri Gotic, and other important tourist sites (and Starbucks was just 2 blocks away!). Availability at the Axel Hotel will be the first thing we check when we start planning our next trip to Barcelona.

Room Tip: As with any hotel, rooms facing an interior courtyard will be quieter than those facing the street b...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
JORGEPEREZ, Director General at Axel Hotel Barcelona & Urban Spa, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your great opinion!!
We really appreciate your time to give us your opinion, for us is always welcomed our guests help to improve our services.
We are pleased to have had you with us and hope to see you soon at any of our worldwide Axel Hotels.

Million thanks,

Axel Hotel Barcelona

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

After checking-in at the Axel we immediately noticed that the aircon wasn't working in our room. We called reception but the receptionist said we had to wait half an hour for the unit to begin working. Sounded strange but we waited around 40 minutes at which point the aircon still hadn't kicked in. We waited for someone to come and look at it but nobody did so we elected to go back to reception and pay to upgrade to a suite.

The suite itself was really nice, and definitely worth the upgrade, but lavatory tissue wasn't replaced during our stay, which is unacceptable for a two-night stay.

My third and most serious complaint, though, was with with the hotel's two bars. Firstly we went to the ground floor bar and ordered two beers, which came to €14, which I thought was a little pricey but not horrendous. Later on the same night we ordered two beers and an orange juice, and was charged €12. Clearly the first barman had ripped me off. Strangely that same barman was serving in the Sky Bar the following evening, and he ignored me completely the whole time that I stood at the bar waiting to be served. He clearly saw me with my money in my hand but deliberately served every single person around me and ignored me. Even when other people arrived at the bar they were all served before me. In the end I gave up and went back to our table empty-handed. Our friend took the cash and came back, drinks in hand, two minutes later. Quite what I had done to this barman to justify such bizarre treatment I shall never know.

Overall this hotel could be great but it really needs to make sure that there is lavatory tissue in each room, and clearly barmen charging whatever they like for drinks and pocketing the difference is really unfortunate. I've never experienced that in any hotel before.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CLHScott
Dear Customer,

Thank you for your review, I am really sorry that your stay at the hotel was not to your liking.

First of all I want to apologize for an atypical situation that has lived with our bar staff, I must say that we have already taken action in this regard on its non-satisfaction with the barman.

I can only tell you, to please give us a second chance, which I'm sure will not disappoint you this time.

Again sorry for what happened, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time,

Valencia
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Amazing staff, specially the guy in the recepcion, i remember his beutiful smile but i forgot the name. Very clean rooms, funny night life, i've been in the terraze for the Axel Boy contest and i enjoy a lot. I love the sky bar. Hope to come back soon.

• Stayed April 2014
JORGEPEREZ, Director General at Axel Hotel Barcelona & Urban Spa, responded to this review, 20 April 2014
Dear Guest,

We greatly appreciate the magnificent views and the confidence you have placed in us as Axel hotel.
We always try to offer the best service and quality to our guests and we are delighted that you value our efforts; please we invite you to repeat with us and be part of Axel hotels.

Kind Regards,

Rock Hill, New York
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Axel is loctef in the perfect stop, in the center of all the gay district. It is surrpunded by shopping, food stores and close to placa cataluña.

The staff was very nice, the breakfast was really complete, and our room was very nice and clean.

Andrian was really helpfull helping us for our restaurants bookings. Its a great boy!

Go to Axel! Its gret!

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your great opinion!!

Million thanks,

Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Depends on the rate offered. Basic hotel. Doesn't exceed expectations or minimize them. Was much nicer when it first opened years ago. Great location and neighborhood. The "gay" factor shouldn't affect anyone as its hardly noticed. The hotel appeals to many. Rooms are basic and offer the minimum needed. Could use an update as the rooms are starting to appear tired and outdated. Offering complimentary water is always a thing to consider. Something…. anything. Wifi worked well. Breakfast was a bit sad. Minimal offered. Selection didn't look fresh. Breakfast area was often crowded with limited seating. Asked to sit at a table that wasn't set or cleaned more than once. Staff on the other hand was kind and attentive. This was generally the case throughout the hotel. Daniel and Ricardo at reception were very professional and exceed expectations. On the other hand, there was Sebastian who was rude and lacked professional courtesy. Had cut my finger in the room and went to reception to ask for a band aid. He told me go to the pharmacy. Suggested he look in the first aid kit which they should have on hand. All I needed was 1 band aid. Simple. Not in this case. He denied they had a first aid kit. Couldn't be bothered to even look. After responding in disbelief, "how can a business with a bar and kitchen not have a first aid kit?" Having to practically beg, he asked another staff member. Who showed him where an empty kit with no supplies was located. Sebastian looked to me rolled his eyes, and essentially told me it wasn't "his problem" and went on with his work. He couldn't be bothered. This lack of concern and indifference was uncalled for and the epitome of NO customer service or care. Can't imagine him wanting to be treated this way so not I'm sure why he projected it onto others. Especially a guest who was in need of some basic help. If you don't "care" then perhaps a customer service oriented job isn't the right thing for you. He should work elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank A M
JORGEPEREZ, Director General at Axel Hotel Barcelona & Urban Spa, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear Customer,

Thank you for staying with us, and again I am sorry for what happened.

Please accept once more my apologies for an atypical situation that you experienced in our hotel, I must say that we have already taken action in this regard on its non-satisfaction with staff.

Again sorry for what happened, yours faithfully,

Waalre, The Netherlands
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We've spend 5 nights in this central located (on walking distance to plaza Cataluna) down town Barcelona hotel, the Hotel is clean has free Wifi and a swimming pool on the top floor with a nice view into the streets of Barcelona. Rooms are rather small but everything required is available.
TV channel recival is in poor quality. The breakfast is good with a great variety of local fruits and ingredients as well as the commonly known "western style" based breakfast dishes are served.

As being a hetero sexual couple we were in the vast minority of all the guest that were staying at the hotel, this combined with the unattractive "inner circle" of rooms in this Hotel (view on a boring patio and in other peoples rooms!!) and the extreme noise level of the hotel's inside due to the plywood walls that separate the rooms, the constant slamming of doors leads to an average rating for this Hotel, my advice would be to make up your mind if you want to stay in this environment before you book this hotel and if you do decide to book this hotel insist on having a room in the outer ring with street view.

Room Tip: Insist on streetview!!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Erwinreview
JORGEPEREZ, Director General at Axel Hotel Barcelona & Urban Spa, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear Customer,

I really appreciate your feedback and the time you spent on it. In Axel Hotel Barcelona, we always try to improve our services so that our customers can enjoy the hotel and its facilities.

We really are in the center of Barcelona and your opinion about our location it´s very helpful for us, but specially for other Trip Advisor visitors.

I would also like to apologize if our rooms were not to your liking, but do not hesitate to contact us to show you our Premium or Suite rooms which are much more spacious.

We hope to see you very soon here again with us.

Best Regards,

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Comfortable hotel in a great location in the centre of everything L'Eixample offers. Many nice restaurants, shops, and bars closeby. Comfortable rooftop terrace with jacuzzi and small pool that's great during the day when the sun shines.

Spacious rooms that (for my room, at least - a deluxe on floor 4) could use a little refreshing. A new coat of paint and refurb on the fixtures & fittings would be helpful. TV signal not working for many of the channels listed on the in room guide.

Disappointing / lazy housekeeping which only provided the most basic of services. For example, on a 3 night stay toilet paper was never replaced. Glassware which I used each day was never washed. Towels instead of being rolled and placed in the right area were simply folded and placed on the bed. None of this was the end of the world but just, when all added together, gave the impression of laziness.

Breakfast was quite good and so were the gym facilities and wifi worked well.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment about Axel Hotel Barcelona. We are pleased that you have stay in our hotel.

We strive to provide the ultimate service while maintaining an enjoyable atmosphere. Nothing is more important to us than well being of our customers.

We have taken note of your comments and hope to remedy soon, in order to improve our quality and service.

We look forward to seeing you here again in the not-too-distant future.

Yours Sincerely,