“I feel this place is slipping”

Axel Hotel Barcelona & Urban Spa
Ranked #169 of 515 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I've been a fan of Axel for years, this is probably my 5th or 6th stay here. It's my go-to for Barcelona. However, I just felt this time around things are starting to feel a bit 'tatty'. The wobbly toilet, the blind on the window that doesn't work, the very outdated health spa details in the hotel manual, the room service tray that was falling to bits...just silly things, little things that made me wonder if they were starting to cut corners.

I'll always hold the Axel in a special place in my heart, but if opting for the Premium suite is going to deliver me all of the above, then competition like the "W" will start becoming options in my next trip.

Come on Axel, pull your socks up!! Remember the amazing boutique hotel you were.

Room Tip: The inner courtyard rooms are far better if you're a bit more of a voyeuristic or exhibitionisti...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
JORGEPEREZ, Director General at Axel Hotel Barcelona & Urban Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Dear Guest,

We have taken note of your comments and hope to remedy soon, in order to improve our quality and service.
We really appreciate your time and your opinion and specially your trust in us as your landmark hotel.

I hope to see you soon in Axel Hotel Barcelona to prove you that things will get even better.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed 13 June 2014

I had the most wonderful stay in Axel from Monday 9th to Thursday 12th June. Having made a booking for a Premium Room I saw the pictures and reviews for the Suites. Thank you to Daniel for making the upgrade possible.

I arrived a little early on the Monday and dropped off my bag. I asked for a recommendation for the best Tapas and was not disappointed with what they suggested. I arrived back and obtained my keys and made my way to the suite...WoW!!

Olympic size bed and so comfortable....A bathroom that would put the best hotel room to shame in its size...Lovely lounge with the most comfortable sofa. And the terrace...well you had to be there to love it. The suites are abundant in space, style and luxury.

I have to compliment the Spa. It was brilliant. So calming and relaxing and beautiful people.

Thank you to Marisol on reception for helping me with directions (and tolerating my Spanish) and a nice glass of ice every evening. The reception and management treat you like a friend and that is to be greatly valued.

Above the suite is the pool and bar. I enjoyed hearing the fun and music above me every night. But, when you close your door there is no noise. That is a signature hallmark of this hotel. Axel thinks of everything before your do. Peace, Relaxation and enjoyment.

Love to you all and I hope the Summer is good to you and look forward to returning soon! Jx

PS: I did not have breakfast as the bed was too appealing. But I rate it highly from what other guests told me :-)

Room Tip: Try a Suite if you can. The views over the city are lovely. If you value your space the suites are f...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank LCAF

Dear Guest,

We greatly appreciate the magnificent views and the confidence you have placed in us as Axel hotel.
We always try to offer the best service and quality to our guests and we are delighted that you value our efforts; please we invite you to repeat with us and be part of Axel hotels.

All Axel Hotel team wishes to see you really soon, kind Regards,

Reviewed 11 June 2014

The Axel hotel (as they say "heterofriendly" ) is located in the very lively gay quarter of Barcelona a 8 min. walk steps from the Plaza de Catalunya, the heart of the city. The lobby gives you already an impression of the modern style of this hotel, the receptionnists were (without exception) very friendly and helpful.
The room we had at the streetside had a balconydoor that didn't close well and the traffic-noise came unfiltered in, this was rather annoying, so we asked for another room. This room was at the backside , so no traffic-noise was present, so far so good. The room however was very cramped and had , through a little window, a view on a blind wall at 2 meters away ( it was almost a prison?), so when we noticed on top of that, the very noisy airconditioning we asked in the morning for another room (the third one!). It gave some trouble but eventually we got a room that was right.
After this experience we could say that all the rooms we have seen were well maintained and clean and that the staff did everything to satisfy the client.
The breakfast was very, very opulent and we cannot agree with another critic thad said the breakfast was bad?! what we saw was excellent.
The hotel has a very nice rooftop terrace with a (little) pool and a nice bar with it, nice to relax after a busy touristic activity..
One remark however : this hotel is nothing for homophobic people, so if you have problems with gays...stay away!!!!!

Room Tip: The rooms differ a lot, so we do not recommend the rooms at the backside with a view on a blind wall...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Gert J. E
JORGEPEREZ, Director General at Axel Hotel Barcelona & Urban Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your great opinion!!
We really appreciate your time to give us your opinion, for us is always welcomed our guests help to improve our services.

Axel Hotel Barcelona is synonymous of quality and this is what we want to offer to all our guests. What really matters to us is that our customers have a pleasant stay in our hotel and feel at home, because, although we are a hotel for gay public, everyone is welcome.

We are pleased to have had you with us and hope to see you very soon at any of our worldwide Axel Hotels.

Million thanks,

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We finally gave in and tried Axel Barcelona (normally we stay at Casa Camper, the W Hotel, or Praktik). It's a nice enough hotel - the location is excellent; very close to the gay neighbourhood but the rooms are rather small, and show signs of wear and tear (scratch marks on the leather bed head from a wild night of passion perhaps?!?). The staff are ok, the bar staff at the Sky Bar were the real highlight.

Unfortunately, I was charged 220 euros for two drinks at the Sky Bar, but when I saw it and told the staff they were reasonably quick to fix. I guess the bartender was chosen for his looks rather than his competence. Still, and honest mistake.

The room itself was fairly modern with a good clean bed and nice air conditioning for BCN when it's very warm. Not ideal for travelling with friends, as the shower has a glass wall directly onto the bedroom so for the prudish, it may not be for you.

Toiletries, including condoms, are provided - as well as the 'Please Disturb' door hanger for those that are into that.

The pool area was nice, and a photo is attached.

I really like the location, but for the Euros paid, you can get a far nicer hotel in Barcelona, in a nearby location, with better quality rooms and staff. I'm not sure we will return, but it was an enjoyable stay nonetheless.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for staying with us during your last visit in Barcelona. Also thank you for your opinion and for sharing it with all travelers on Trip Advisor. Your opinion it´s very helpful for us and we really appreciate you take your time and give us your point of view about us.

We hope to see you very soon,

Reviewed 6 June 2014

We stayed here for two nights on a recent trip to Barcelona. Check in took longer than expected due to miscommunication with housekeeping, but the front desk person was very apologetic. We were upgraded to a room with a balcony for the inconvenience. Our room was clean, contemporary and comfortable. The rooftop deck and bar has an incredible view and the spa downstairs is also worth visiting.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pitton
JORGEPEREZ, Director General at Axel Hotel Barcelona & Urban Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment about Axel Hotel Barcelona. We are pleased that you have stay in our hotel. We strive to provide the ultimate service while maintaining an enjoyable atmosphere. Nothing is more important to us than well being of our customers.

We look forward to seeing you here again in the not-too-distant future.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 1 June 2014

This Hotel is perfect for a long or short city break in Barcelona. Right at heart of the city and surrounded by bars and fine restaurants.
The terrace is perfect to chill as well as the spa downstairs.
Deco is very nice and features several other details that make it unique in Barcelona.
Highly recommended. I'll come back soon.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rafael G
JORGEPEREZ, Director General at Axel Hotel Barcelona & Urban Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 30 May 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights in May 2014. I had previously stayed at this hotel in September 2012. See my previous review of this hotel. I was travelling in a party of 3, who had booked two rooms. We checked in late, at 11.30pm and were told we had both been given an upgrade to a ‘premium room’. In my previous experience of this hotel, I knew this meant a larger room with no view which faces into the internal light-well.
We were allocated room 419. The room had obvious signs of wear and tear on the walls with a large burn mark in the floor. The shower was open plan to the room, and had no privacy within the room. The quality of the shower etc, was good and in terms of fixtures was far superior to the previous room I had stayed in at the Axel Barcelona. I was travelling with my friend, and would have preferred a twin bed with private bathroom. If I was travelling in a couple, the arrangement of room would have been fine.
The next day, we asked the receptionist if we could have another room with twin beds and a separate, non-open plan bathroom. The receptionist was very helpful but said no such rooms were available until the next day. We could not be bothered moving rooms after 2 days, of a 3 day visit and therefore declined this offer.
The selling point of this hotel is the roof top pool, terrace and bar which were lovely and gave the hotel a unique selling point, and location in the gay area for nearby bars etc. This is why I choose to stay in this hotel again. I do think though during the daytime, this area should only be available for only guests to use, as I can imagine it been very popular in the summer peak, and the number of loungers is limited. Also this allows non hotel guests to enter the hotel floors, where the bedrooms are located. The drinks at the both the ground floor and Sky Bars are very expensive. We didn’t have breakfast or use the restaurant so I cant comment on these facilities.
This hotel does need refreshing in some areas with new paint and decoration, but it is fundamentally a lovely hotel. I think the rooms vary in their quality and its luck which one you will be allocated. With a bit more maintenance/ repair work and thought going into the management/ running of the hotel , i.e bar restaurant offers for hotel guests only, etc. it could be really really special.

Room Tip: premium rooms face into an internal light-well and have no view
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ian C

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your feedback and your time in giving us the opportunity to improve our services. We greatly appreciate the confidence you have placed in us as your landmark hotel in Barcelona.

We hope you visit us again soon.

Yours sincerely,