“Amazing!!”

Axel Hotel Barcelona & Urban Spa
Ranked #170 of 515 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Best hotel, best staff! Barcelona it's a great city and Axel is the best hotel.

Great hotel to feel free with your partner at any time, roof terrace is so much fun, we met Adrian who invite us to some shots and was talking with us about Axels Hotels philosophy.

We will be back soon!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Giuseppe C
JORGEPEREZ, Director General at Axel Hotel Barcelona & Urban Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your great opinion!!
We really appreciate your time to give us your opinion, for us is always welcomed our guests help to improve our services.
We are pleased to have had you with us and hope to see you soon at any of our worldwide Axel Hotels.

Million thanks,

Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Currently staying in room 502 & i needed to post a review to advise you all NOT to stay here. I spent SO much money to stay here & it is just a horrible hotel. The staff are rude, they don't speak English. The housekeeping don't always clean the rooms & when they do, they talk so loud! Terrible customer service & poor quality rooms. My room is such a dump & when i arrived there was still rubbish in my room from the previous guests that had stayed here. When housekeeping clean the room, they just change the ben linen & thats it. They haven't replenished the soap in my bathroom, left me another breakfast order sign to hang on my door & worst thing is that they left THEIR MASTER KEY in my room, so now i can access any room in the hotel! Security breach or what?! Location is good, but there are BETTER hotels closer to Barcelona. I still have 3 days here!!! Dreading it. I will never come back to this hotel.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Sanbir123
JORGEPEREZ, Director General at Axel Hotel Barcelona & Urban Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Guest,

We are really surprised of your opinion while you were still staying at Axel Hotel.

I would also like to apologize if you had any misunderstanding with our staff members, but all of them speak English and they are at our guests disposal for any issues during your stay 24h a day.

The key left in your room was not a "master key", it was a basic key only to let the air conditioning on, so your room was fresh enough for you comfort.

We are sorry of all this extremely unusual situations that you lived in our hotel, and due to the fact that you are from Barcelona we will be pleased to receive you at any time to offer you a face to face explanation.

Regards,

Reviewed 18 June 2014

A lovely hotel in an absolutely perfect location--not right in the center of town, but walkable to many locations. Our room was small but beautiful, and the glass-walled shower is probably not for family bathing... The view from our room was awesome, the service good, and the rooftop outstanding.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PeekskillMike
JORGEPEREZ, Director General at Axel Hotel Barcelona & Urban Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Dear Guest,

We greatly appreciate the magnificent views and the confidence you have placed in us as Axel hotel.
We always try to offer the best service and quality to our guests and we are delighted that you value our efforts; please we invite you to repeat with us and be part of Axel hotels.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed here as a (gay) couple in June 2014. Premium room for 3 nights.

Good location in the Eixample district, nice vibe to the neighbourhood, lots of dining and gay options in the vicinity.

We had a premium room, which was clean but uninspiring. The bed was uncomfortable, the decor felt cheap and worn. The shower was designed in a way that ensured a flood on the bathroom floor until we rigged up a dam system with towels. The in-room toiletries were abysmal - tiny little bars of soap that barely lasted for one shower. At least they left at least four of them each morning.

The wifi worked well.

Loved the rooftop pool bar, although the charges seemed a bit steep (10 EUR for a gin & tonic).

The service was indifferent/mediocre. There was one guy at night who was cheerful and helpful; the rest of the front-desk staff was sour and slow. There were two dour-faced women in particular who seemed like they would rather be anywhere else in the world. No warmth in their greeting, no smiles, no sense that they were trying to work more efficiently when faced with a long queue, no effort to go beyond anything but the minimum asked of them. It left a very bad taste in my mouth.

It was an interesting experience to stay in a gay boutique, but I feel like the negatives outweigh the positives and I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dm0
JORGEPEREZ, Director General at Axel Hotel Barcelona & Urban Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your review, I am sorry that your stay at the hotel was not as you expected.

First of all thank I want to apologize for an atypical situation that has lived in our hotel, I must say that we have already taken action in this regard on its non-satisfaction with staff.

I can only tell you, to please give us another chance, which I'm sure will not disappoint you this time.

Again sorry for what happened, yours faithfully,

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Nice clean place to stay. Yo need to book a room with a balcony. Nice rooftop pool and bar. Great view of the city. We visted the W Hotel while in Barcelona and that is right on the beach. love that hotel as well. We travel a great deal. The Axel is nice, clean, includes breakfast, close to a great deal of tourist areas. We have been to Barcelona about 7 times and love the Axel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your great opinion!!

Million thanks,

Reviewed 13 June 2014

You get what you pay for… it was clean and bigger than some other places I have stayed in Europe. WIFI worked well and service was nice and welcoming. It is walking distance to everything but there are better options if you can spend more money.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
JORGEPEREZ, Director General at Axel Hotel Barcelona & Urban Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for staying with us during your last visit in Barcelona. Also thank you for your opinion and for sharing it with all travelers on Trip Advisor. Your opinion it´s very helpful for us and we really appreciate you take your time and give us your point of view about us.

We hope to see you very soon,

Reviewed 13 June 2014

I've been a fan of Axel for years, this is probably my 5th or 6th stay here. It's my go-to for Barcelona. However, I just felt this time around things are starting to feel a bit 'tatty'. The wobbly toilet, the blind on the window that doesn't work, the very outdated health spa details in the hotel manual, the room service tray that was falling to bits...just silly things, little things that made me wonder if they were starting to cut corners.

I'll always hold the Axel in a special place in my heart, but if opting for the Premium suite is going to deliver me all of the above, then competition like the "W" will start becoming options in my next trip.

Come on Axel, pull your socks up!! Remember the amazing boutique hotel you were.

Room Tip: The inner courtyard rooms are far better if you're a bit more of a voyeuristic or exhibitionisti...