“Disappointed as I had heard great things”

Axel Hotel Barcelona & Urban Spa
Ranked #185 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Stayed here for one night as we decided to leave Sitges early. The lobby area is smart and the staff very friendly (apart from terse cocktail staff on the roof) but after that initial introduction it went downhill. I opted for the premium room which at first glances looked good but attention to detail was poor. The furniture is falling apart and the suspended ceiling missing bits, looking incongruous set against the rather delightful wallpaper.

I am pleased we only stayed one night as the room developed a very strong fishy glue odour as soon as the A/C was switched on (which you had to do as the rooms are relatively small and opening the windows was hard as the road outside was very very loud). The smell was particularly bad when we returned from a club at 4am, so much so that my husband wanted to call reception to see if something had died. Being British, I did not want to make a fuss just for one night so googled reviews which mention the smell. Had we stayed longer, I would have had to complain.

We booked a room with breakfast which was a mistake as it was poor. As a vegetarian who was avoiding white carbs there was little choice. We asked for eggs and was told they were late arriving. We sat down at 8.45am and the eggs arrived at 9.50pm.

I was saddened by my experience as the hotel is in a wonderful place and most staff friendly, and it is something of a gay icon, but it was woefully inadequate in my view.

I rarely post less positive reviews but felt the overall experience was not a good one. Thankfully our next hotel in the Raval area made up for the poor quality offer at Axel and saved our weekend celebrating my husband's 40th birthday.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank binnysays
JORGEPEREZ, Director General at Axel Hotel Barcelona & Urban Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear Guest,

First of all, I would really like to thank you for your opinion and the time you have spent on it. In Axel Hotel Barcelona, we always try to improve our services so that our customers can enjoy the hotel and its facilities.

I would also like to apologize if your room was not as your expectations, but as you perfectly explained we put the reception staff at your disposal for any issues during your stay 24h a day, they will be more than happy to find a solution for that problem and make your experience exactly as you expected.

At the same time, we will take note of your comments regarding the breakfast for an atypical situation that has lived in our hotel, I must say that we have already taken action and it was a problem from the company that delivers us the products, it was a particular case and that we will remedy immediately, thank you very much again for your help to improve even more.

I hope you can give us a second chance and we wish to see you soon with us at any of our Axel Hotels.

Best regards,

There are newer reviews for Axel Hotel Barcelona & Urban Spa

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Taxi's on strike didn't help in trying to get to this destination. But worth the effort of only one block away from the Metro. The room was the 6th floor with great views of the grand buildings surrounding. The roof top we unfortunately didn't take advantage of until our last night with a cocktail and a swim in the shallow but refreshing pool. The views from there gave you the full city vista. The numerous gay bars and restaurants within easy walking distance gave every night something to explore.
The decor was very pleasant and having a balcony was a plus.
Would definitely book here again for sure as we so loved the beautiful city of Barcelona.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
JORGEPEREZ, Director General at Axel Hotel Barcelona & Urban Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your great opinion!!
We really appreciate your time to give us your opinion, for us is always welcomed our guests help to improve our services.
We are pleased to have had you with us and hope to see you soon at any of our worldwide Axel Hotels.

Million thanks,

Reviewed 2 July 2014

The actual hotel vastly differs from the glossy marketing photos on its web site. Our room (premium) was dated - bath marked and shower rail/spout tarnished. Sanitary equipment also dated and damaged but clean. Basic furniture - definitely not boutique more a 3* standard. Carpet in communal areas need replacing and the whole place didn't have a sense of charm or glam
Room impregnated with smoke which for a non smoker is a turn off. Roof top bar is unique but drinks are expensive

Just felt that for £125 for room only was over priced and as often the case when a hotel says its gay friendly it actual it way of justifying an exorbitant price - real pity when you feel that you have been done

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
JORGEPEREZ, Director General at Axel Hotel Barcelona & Urban Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment about Axel Hotel Barcelona. We are pleased that you have stay in our hotel.

We have taken note of your comments and hope to remedy soon, in order to improve our quality and service.

We hope you visit us again soon.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Went here for a drink and the downstairs staff were nice and spoke English. I was lost and asked them how to get to the rooftop bar. They told me which elevator and seemed very polite and nice.

I went to the rooftop bar and there was no queue. The barman seemed to love his job, because he is working in a nice hotel and probably doesn't have to serve many drinks - this seemed to suit him just fine! He needs to understand that the rest of Spain is having major problems and yes Barcelona is not considered Spain by the locals, but it is only now thriving due to foreigners and foreign investors who are ensuring that the tourism industry is now thriving.

I asked him a simple question - which is do you have a cocktail or bar menu? This is something that I normally ask when I go to a new place and I am unfamiliar with which drinks they offer. He was extremely rude. His body language, facial expressions, and response was completely blunt. He said no very sharply and almost walked away. At that stage - I quickly ordered a drink, but really I should have walked out. I had previously been to another nice bar down the road and they were serving extremely high quality cocktails that were freshly prepared for only 4 - 6 euros. This is a fantastic price for a Londoner like me - who is used to high prices. Axel was charging 11 - 15 euros for a cosmopolitan. Really not impressed with them and it's disgusting because someone of my status is someone who can afford to stay at this hotel.

Due to the rubbish bar staff and experience from the bar. I would never go to the bar again. There are nicer places and rooftop bars like in Palma, Mallorca and other places in Barcelona. Moreover, I would not stay at this hotel due to my experience. The barmen all seemed to be very into their looks as opposed to giving any service. They need to remember that they are lucky to have a job during the current EU crisis. Bad attitude doesn't anyone to become a repeat customer. I have been to Barcelona more than 10 - 15 times and live there many times during the year. What a pity you were so rude to someone who spends so much money in your city.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your review and I want to apologize for an atypical situation that has lived in our hotel, I must say that we have already taken action in this regard on its non-satisfaction with staff.

On the other hand, there are many different places to have a drink in Barcelona and around the area, but our SkyBar is not a normal bar, we believe in good service and high quality alcohol, nice atmosphere, nice views and a complete different experience.

I can only tell you, to please give us a second chance, which I'm sure will not disappoint you this time.

Again sorry for what happened, yours faithfully,

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights. Hotel and room was great, but there was lack of atmosphere in the hotel. The rooftop bar was boring and with very expensive drinks. Also the waiter was absolutely not friendly at all!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jimmyhans
JORGEPEREZ, Director General at Axel Hotel Barcelona & Urban Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your feedback and we are pleased to have had you with us and enjoyed our hotel.

On behalf of the entire team, we are sorry that you didn't feel our SkuBar atmosphere, the because usually what our customers most positively comment, is how cool and fun our roof top is every night. Thank you very much again for your help to improve even more.

We wish to you see you very soon and we provise next time you will enjoy it even more.

Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

My female friend & I enjoyed this hotel- very good gym, lovely breakfast, free wifi, near shops & bars. Rooftop pool and bar lovely at night, a little rowdy in day. Room was clean and comfy, not much natural light however. Would recommend!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank lulucane

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for your opinion, it´s very helpful for us. We strive to make your stay as pleasant as possible. We provide maximum efficiency in your individual care regarding both quality of our services and accommodation aspects.

Hope to see you back here in any of our Axel Hotels.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 26 June 2014

We were a group of 6 guys in Barcelona for 5 nights for the MotoGp weekend, Spent a lot of time looking for a decent hotel and plumped for the Axel, We were not disappointed, from the second we walked in the whole experience was superb, Reception staff were extremely helpful. Breakfast was plentyful and over a long period of time everyday, Location was very good, so many places to eat and drink and only a 20 minute walk to La Rambla.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
JORGEPEREZ, Director General at Axel Hotel Barcelona & Urban Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your great opinion!!

Million thanks,