“Perfect Gay Getaway”

Axel Hotel Barcelona & Urban Spa
Ranked #180 of 515 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We booked the Axel as we were offered a good deal and were looking to spend 5 days in Barcelona before heading to Sitges.

1. Location
The location is excellent. Set in the heart of the unofficial gay part of Barcelona, you are close to the bars, clubs and shops (ES swim/underwear) which are the usual destinations for gay travellers to Barcelona. It is also very close to the heart of the city with easy access to the metro and shopping centres and within easy reach of El Prat airport.

2. Room
The room was clean and tidy with a big shower, cable TV, wi-fi and fridge. There was no real view from the room we were in but the ceiling to floor windows gave a lot of light. I would have liked tea and coffee facilities or at least a kettle but maybe that;s just because I'm English and miss my morning cuppa. The decor was basic but adequate.

3. Restaurant/bar
We didn't use the restaurant but I have heard it is very good. The rooftop bar however, is an essential destination for evening meetings and finding friends. It's spacious with a small pool, jacuzzi, reclining loungers and benches. It also has nice views of the city and is the perfect place to watch the sun go down with a drink in hand - try the Aperol. It's a bit pricey but the location is premium.

4. Staff
The staff were professional, kind, courteous and helpful.

5. Extras
The hotel offers a spa service which I didn't use. I did however, make use of the hotel gym which was pretty good with a variety of machines and equipment. No pool though.

6. Overall
Overall I would recommend this to any gay traveller who wants to be in the heart of Barcelona and be within easy reach of the attractions. It is also a great location for non-gay travellers too who don;t mind the liberal atmosphere.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
JORGEPEREZ, Director General at Axel Hotel Barcelona & Urban Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your feedback and your time in giving us the opportunity to improve our services. We greatly appreciate the confidence you have placed in us as your landmark hotel in Barcelona.

We hope you visit us again soon.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Having paid 300 Euros per night to stay at this top rated hotel I came with great expectations and have to say was disappointed. Reception is funky and cool but beyond that the Axel doesn't quite deliver. The most frustrating thing was the lack of adequate bar staff in the rooftop bar. It's great to have one of the coolest gay bars in town but if management don't put enough staff on and keep people waiting 20-30mins for a drink, it will soon not be the place to go. I felt sorry for the staff getting abused by guests for having to wait so long. This happened on 2 different nights. Admittedly, 1 night was the night before the Atlantis cruise sailed and the other was during Circuit but management should know its going to be busy and hire more staff to serve, wash and clean. Once, my friend arrived and realized he would spend 20 mins standing at the bar, we decided to leave.
Breakfast is basic and when I see smoked salmon out on a plate without refrigeration for hours I certainly won't be eating it! Especially when I see a fly hovering around the food.
I decided to get a 60 minute deep tissue massage for 89 euros which i thought was at the high end if the price scale. It was disappointing and a fellow guest had one at the same time and has exactly the same perspective. Whilst the guys were gorgeous and pleasant they simply didn't seem to know how to give a professional deep tissue massage. I was asked for feedback by the spa manager on the way out after the treatment and told the guy I was disappointed and he said the hotel manager would want to speak with me. I never heard anything. I have to say that the actual spa area with sauna, showers and pool is beautiful and worth the 10 euro to go along, even though I think it's a bit cheeky to charge hotel guests for using it.
Rooms are that funky, sparse style with open wardrobes which was fine but my phone cord was damaged and calls kept cutting off. And the bathroom tiles could do with the mould stains being cleaned off and re-grouted. Also a bit weird to hear the toilet flushing continuously of the room above you.
On the positive side, the location is awesome and it is nice to have a hotel specifically targeted to the gay market. But you still have to get the basics right if you are going to charge the prices they do.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank OzScotty

Dear Guest,

We have taken note of your comments and hope to remedy soon, in order to improve our quality and service.
We really appreciate your time and your opinion.

I hope to see you soon in Axel Hotel Barcelona or at one of our Axel Hotels around the world.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

The staff are amazingly friendly and helpful and the location in the centre of Barcelona cannot be beat. The rooms seemed a little spartan but were clean and functional. The roof top bar / pool is nice but arrive early if you want to get a lounger.

The bars on the main floor weren't busy when we were there but there are plenty of other local options nearby.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
JORGEPEREZ, Director General at Axel Hotel Barcelona & Urban Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your great opinion!!
We really appreciate your time to give us your opinion, for us is always welcomed our guests help to improve our services.
We are pleased to have had you with us and hope to see you soon at any of our worldwide Axel Hotels.

Million thanks,

Reviewed 13 August 2014

when we arrived they told us with a big smile we got an upgrade. instead of a normal room, we got a suite. when we opened the door of the suite we knew why. the suites are just under the sky bar, a popular bar in barcelona for gays. you can literally feel the walls vibrating from the bass music. we were unable to sleep, so we waited until 2 o'clock, the closing time of the bar, according to the hotel's information. after that time it even got worse. we were complaining at the reception desk, asking for another room, but then they had to admit our room was the only room available. it wasn't an upgrade, more a downgrade. in the end at 3.30 in the morning we went to the reception again, threatening to call the police if they didn't shut down the music. in our opinion you book a room for a comfortable sleep. then they finally listened and the music stopped.
the next day we asked for a solution for the coming night and the manager told us they did something on the speakers so the bass wouldn't be so loud. but in the end it was all just the same. it even turned out that night was party night in the hotel.
it is a very unfriendly staff, that doesn't feels the need to satisfy their guests. everytime we went down to the reception to tell about the problem, the manager wasn't available. they left us standing. for the same price, you can have much better hotel rooms in barcelona.
the room wasn't up to date. the airco was down, the tv didn't work, no door in the bathroom, so no privacy, no dustbin

Room Tip: don't book a suite or let them upgrade you
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Nick J

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your review, I am sorry that your stay at the hotel was not to your liking.

First of all thank I want to apologize for an atypical situation that has lived in our hotel, I must say that we have already taken action in this regard on its non-satisfaction with staff.

I can only tell you, to please give us a second chance, which I'm sure will not disappoint you this time.

Again sorry for what happened, yours faithfully,

Reviewed 13 August 2014

The Axel Hotel is well located.
Although Check in Time was at 14 h, no room was available before 17 h. The room (superior) was disappointing, Not well Furnished and badly Isolated against noise from the Street.
The Roof terrace is very nice, Good Drinks and views, small Pool, was very crowded with good atmosphere at Night, also invited are non-Hotel guests.
We also enjoyed the gym which was well Equipped for a hotel gym.
Staff was ok, Not helpful but also Not unfriendly.
Overall, we saw other Hotels in the area with much more modern Roms for half the Price.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Oliver B

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your opinion and your time to give us the opportunity to improve our services. We greatly appreciate the trust you have placed in us and we kindly invite you to check our website for the best prices and offers for your next visit to Barcelona.

We hope you visit us again soon.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

I've stayed at this hotel several times and I liked it...until today. We arrived at 0800 and the hotel stored our bags until our check in time at 1400. We explored the city and returned to the hotel at 1545. We were told we'd have to wait for a room! What? It should have been ready nearly 2 hours ago! Then he asked me if I wanted to pay for an upgrade to get in right away. The 2 people at the counter were not very nice about it either. This is unusual...I will say in the past I've had great service here but after this and their attitude, I don't think I'll stay here again.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank James C

Reviewed 12 August 2014

I had not stayed at this hotel for a while but definately the Axel barcelona needs a deco retouch. the room was very basic and furniture should be updated. I understand it is a modern design concept but the "open wardrobe" was very basic and the bathroom looked old
I was initially assigned a room in a patio and this was not overlooking a patio, it was a room with no windows and just a door opening to a patio, so if you leave the curtains open everybody could see you inside, very dark and claustrophobic. I was then moved to a room on the 6th floor, yes, more light but the hotel was so noisy

Room Tip: not a room in the patio area on 1st floor
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank SpainCarolinaSpain
JORGEPEREZ, Director General at Axel Hotel Barcelona & Urban Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014