“Perfect for its class” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #192 of 522 Hotels in Barcelona
Bucharest, Romania
“Perfect for its class”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Have just returned from a four night stay at HCC Lugano.

For a quite decent price for Barcelona you will get a spotless room, appropriate size and amenities. The big plus comes from the staff who are always friendly and helpful, ready to go the extra mile to make your stay pleasurable.
The location is good for most of the attractions, while being enough of track in regards of city noise. 7 mins walk to the Magic Fountain, 3 mins walk to the closest metro station (Poeble Sec), 5-7 mins walk to Pza d'Espagna and Arena Mall, 15 mins walk to the sea, 12 mins walk to the Rambla.
Breakfast is usually paid extra (it was a promotion with a decent 11eur per person), but I didn't try it since I am not a breakfast person...
The only minor things to be improved would be the wifi speed in the rooms, but that is not really an inconvenience.
Thank you again to all staff for the great stay.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alex M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Beersheba, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

HCC Lugano is a little hard to rate.
Service was good - They responded our mails quick enough (matter of a few hours) and got us a quiet room to our liking - top floor facing a residential courtyard (not ugly or nice, found it a somewhat intriguing way to look at the locals). The room was OK sized ( not small and crowded). The shampoo's and soap were in a rather small quantity. The rooms were always clean.Staff were smiling and helpful as they should be.
The location is satisfying - not central and crowded as the Ramblas, but 3 subway stations away from it. 10-12 minutes walk from the Aerobus stations in Placa Espanya, with luggage.
There are many restaurants in the area (not all of them are active during daytime), Montjuic and the Montjuic's Font Magica ( a must visit, but plan visiting hours and days ahead), the MNAC museum and the Caixa Museum, and a big shopping mall (right in the Placa Espanya. Nothing is cheap there, but there is a supermarket+fast food on the bottom floor, fancier restaurants on the top of the mall).
Wifi is free, no problems with the connection.
Didn't eat breakfast there, we found 11 Euros a fair price already planned where to eat each morning.
There is a guard on watch ( seen mostly on evenings), and I don't know if it's a regular thing in Barcelona, but on one hand it worried us ("why do they need a guard here???"), but eventually, we felt a little safer (that, and the fact there is a big police station up the street...).
So why it was so hard to decide how to rate it if everything is OK+ ? Because the hotel has no personality. Most of the times it felt like an office building - the lobby was desolate, and there are no pictures or any other ornaments in the lobby, at the corridor, or even in the room. Coming back to the hotel felt like going to work, somewhat depressing when in vacation... But if it's ok with you, this hotel is a fair deal (cost, location, and everything else mentioned), and since it's rather new ( 2 years old) hopefully it will grow and give a cozier feeling.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cynicoren
Sofia, Bulgaria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

The hotel is located close to Plaza Espana, a convenient place near to the metro. It is also 15-20 from the airport with lines A1, A2 and 46 serving it. Various small restaurants, cafeterias and bars are in this area. The location is thus a plus. The personnel at the reception is also quite polite and helpful (e.g. they informed us about line 46 we did not know, and gave us good instructions about how to go to Figueres and the Dali Museum).
What did I not like? 1) The fact that I was asked to pay the full amount for my staying the moment I entered the lobby! 50 euros were also withheld as a guarantee. I may understand the reasons for the guarantee, but the prepayment obligation was at least not polite and customer-friendly. 2) When we entered the room we realized that there were shampoos and shower gels only for one person. We mentioned that at the reception and they swiftly indeed added an additional set of shampoos/gels. However, the next day, when we returned in the evening we found that the cleaning personnel had renewed our shampoos again with only one set for one person! It is summer and we need to bathe daily! Even worse, the second day of our staying, no shampoos/gels were renewed, although the previous ones had finished! I do not understand that! This is the first time that I faced such a "parsimonious" attitude by a hotel in Europe. And we paid quite a few money (almost 90 euros per day with the city tax) so as not to deserve such an attitude. 3) The room was clean and ok in terms of space, but there was no basis for the luggage, although there was space for it.
The room is sleep-friendly in terms of external noises (at least on the sixth floor that we were), but, as regards internal noises, the situation is not good! There is no sound-proofing; I remember that during one night somebody in a neighboring room had a shower, and I felt pretty sure that he was bathing in our room!
Our room was sleep-friendly as well as in relation to darkening; the curtains darken the room satisfactory and there were no annoying light intrusions!
I have no opinion about the breakfast, because it was 11 euros per person and we did not try it!
To conclude, the hotel is 3 stars - so you don't have great expectations - but it is not cheap. However, the location is good, the rooms are ok, the personnel are also helpful, and the hotel becomes thus a satisfactory choice for staying in Barcelona.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank AlcibiadesPericles
HCCLUGANO, Gerente at HCC Lugano, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your comments. If you do mind I can answer some of your comments:

1)The fact to charge in advance it is something that is done with all the customers, is nothing against you, of course. It is customary in many places in the world and so in our chain.
The diposit of 50 € is taken only as gauarantee (as there is a minibar in the room), however you had the option to leave a credit card number instead of the deposit.
2)I appologize for the matter with shampoo & gel, it is not usuall, I am so sorry.

However, comments like yours makes us to try to improve every day and to be able to offer happy stays at our guests.

Thank you very much.

Management HCC Lugano
Hyderabad, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

This hotel is centrally located to many good places in Barcelona. It is near to shopping malls, bus stations etc. The room is rightly sized for one person. Staff is friendly. Recommended if you are traveling alone.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank ravindra_babu
Swadlincote, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

I spent ages looking for a good value centrally located hotel and eventually came up with HCC Lugano. The price was very good for Barcelona in May. The room was adequately sized, it didn't feel too small and had TV, air con/heating, a safe, minibar, telephone and windows that opened.
The staff were very friendly, acknowledging you every time you left or came in. We were also given a free glass of cava on the evening that we arrived which was brought to us with a bowl of crisps and the remote to change the TV channel!
We couldn't fault it really, one of the cleaning staff did seem quite abrupt every time I passed her in the corridor but they seem to work hard so I can forgive it.
The walls are quite thin, on Friday morning I was woken at 6am by someone's alarm in another room and as we were by the lift I could hear every time someone passed by (my husband heard nothing, he sleeps very heavily.) You can hear a slight rumble when a metro train goes by, but only early in the morning before Barcelona has woken up - I just put the TV on and I didn't hear it again.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, it is very close to Espanya and Poble Sec stations and not too far to walk from Paral.lel either, we got everywhere from these stations. There are lots of bars and restaurants near by (of varying quality), all open from early morning to very late evening. One also serves San Miguel for 1 euro a bottle...

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sammy2285
United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

After spending weeks searching through reviews for a hotel in Barcelona that didn’t cost a fortune, t stayed 2 nights in Barcelona May 27th 2014, at the HCC Lugano. I arrived at almost midnight after a late flight from Malaga. It is easy to get to using the Aeropuerto express bus from the airport. You get off at Plaza Espana and walk 4 blocks. It is about a 10 minute walk. I felt very safe in this area.

The staff is really nice, speak English, and very helpful. The room was comfortable, clean and air conditioned. They do not have clocks in the room though so come prepared. They will give you a wake up call, but if you want to know what time it is, you’ll have to look at your cell phone!

The metro runs either under, or near the hotel so you can hear some “rumbling” from the metro, but it doesn’t run after midnight, or before 5:30 AM (except Saturday). I was on the 6th floor and did hear it a little, but it didn’t disturb my sleep as it doesn’t run during the night.

The metro is not too far away, or Plaza Espana where you can get the aerpuerto express bus. Lots of places to eat near. It was a very clean, comfortable place to stay. It is a little way away from Las Ramblas, home of the pickpockets so you are safe here.

The breakfast they serve is very similar to what you would find at a Marriott Residence Inn. I did not have breakfast while I was there, slept too late!
I would come again.

Room Tip: The higher floors may not have as much noise if you are a light sleeper. I was on the 6th floor and...