“Nice place with good beer and only beer”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of La Cerveteca - CLOSED

La Cerveteca
Cuisines: Bar, Spanish, Mediterranean, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Drinks, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Neighbourhood: Barrio Gotico (Barri Gotic)
“Nice place with good beer and only beer”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2013 via mobile

We have seen the place before and at the end we tried. It was calm and it remembers me the tipical old catalan house. The waiter give us advice and recomeded some beers. The choice was perfect.

• Visited May 2013

London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Really cool!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2013

This place was really cool and served so many beers! I had a smokey lager that was from the tap and was nothing like i've ever tasted before! I really enjoyed this place and the bartender was really friendly and helped me choose what drink I should have

Visited March 2013
cork
“Amazing beer selection but watch your belongings!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2013

The selection of international artisan beer available here is simply stunning but they don't serve anything else for those that don't drink beer.
It was the unfortunate theft of my wife's smartphone that really left a sour taste. Why would the staff allow beggars to enter this bar when it is quiet enough to spot them? Said beggar swiped the phone off the table. I also would have expected some degree of support and sympathy from the staff but this most certainly was not forthcoming. We weren't even saluted when leaving!
This bar really needs to look at its security policies and make an effort to show some kindness when their customers are robbed due to their lax door policy.
I won't be returning despite the fact that I could have spent days sampling amazing beers there.

• Visited March 2013
Barcelona, Spain
“Make sure you get what you're paying for. Don't get ripped off.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2013

If you pay for a 0.5L beer make sure you are getting 0.5L.
Unfortunately most of the customers in this bar do not know what a 0.5L measurement is, and are being short changed.

We ordered a round of "0.5L" beers, which filled the glass by about 90%. Having finished the beers, we poured a new 0.5L bottle of mineral water into the same glass, which filled it to the top, spilling over and leaving about another 5-10cl left in the bottle.

So the "0.5L" beers were only around 35-40cl. This has been the same for the past 5 times we have been to this bar.
I would advise that you get them to pour the beer into a marked glass with a clear 0.5L line.
Or just find another bar, I know I will.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank 187497Jack
Barcelona, Spain
“Rip-off”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2013

The beer in this bar is excellent, which makes the following experience even more disappointing.

My friends and I ordered 0.5 litre measures of beer, and noticed the bar tender was serving them in glasses that had a 0.35 litre mark below the rim of the glass. I questioned this, and was assured they were 0.5 litres. The same bar tender later apologised, admitted a mistake had been made, and put more beer in our glasses.

However, our next round of beers were served in glasses exactly the same size, although these glasses didn't have a 0.35 litre mark on them. We noticed that the majority of '0.5 litre' measures were being served in glasses of this size. One of us left the bar, bought a 0.5 litre bottle of mineral water, and returned. When we'd finished one of our beers, we poured the mineral water into the beer glass, and unsurprisingly, the '0.5 litre' glass was full and water remained in the mineral water bottle.

When you factor in that the '0.5 litre' measures of beer usually come with a head of a couple of centimetres, we estimated that each 0.5 litre beer (that costs €4.90, certainly not cheap) actually contains 0.45 or 0.4 litres of beer, or perhaps less. The fact that some of the glasses used to serve the beer actually say 0.35 litres on them underlines this point (the bar tender admitted his mistake with us, because I'd questioned it. We noticed other people drinking '0.5 litre' measures from glasses that said 0.35 litres, and they weren't offered a refill).

I would repeat that the beer in this bar is excellent, and the bar tenders are very knowledgeable about the products they sell, which makes it even more annoying that everytime you give them €4.90, they give you 10-30% less beer than you pay for. A real shame. I don't think asking for 0.5 litre when I'm paying for 0.5 litre is too much to ask for.

• Visited February 2013