“I love this hotel!”

Mercer Hotel Barcelona
Ranked #4 of 521 Hotels in Barcelona
“I love this hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2013

I just recently spent a wonderful weekend in Barcelona with my husband. The Mercer is located in a historical building inside Barri Gotic, the very old Gothic Quarter, and it was built around roman walls of the ancient city of Barcino dated back to the 1st century A.D.. We absolutely loved staying there! The modern design by Spanish architect Rafael Moneo is amazing! The combination of modern with ancient roman walls makes it a sight to see.
Their restaurant Mercerino is also delicious and there is a special room right by the restaurant where medieval paintings were discovered during the remodeling in the 28th defense tower.
Their staff is extremely friendly and helpful. It is a small hotel and you’re addressed by name.
The hotel is also very clean and quiet. The rooms are very comfortable and spacious for European standards. Ours was #309, one of the rooms featured in their website. Our bathroom didn't have a tub but we had a very nice rain shower so we really didn't miss having one. It may not look like it from the pictures but cars can actually drive into the Gothic’s very narrow alleys and our taxi dropped us off right in front of the hotel.

Room Tip: Room #309 is a great superior room. Very quiet and it faces their internal garden. No tub but a very...
7 Thank Claudia R
Francesc H, Director General at Mercer Hotel Barcelona, responded to this review, 1 March 2013
Dear Ms. Claudia,

thank you very much for sharing with us your wonderful experience.

As General Manager of the Mercer Hotel Barcelona I feel very flattered with your comments and my team also.

Best Regards

Francesc Holgado

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2013

Excellent stay at this very central hotel. Right in the middle of the old town. Staff were really great - reception was really helpful in finding and booking us restaurants and clubs. Bar staff were very friendly and helpful. Requested champange and flowers via email. Everything was prepared in the room when we arrived.

9 Thank Christop2
Francesc H, Gerente at Mercer Hotel Barcelona, responded to this review, 21 February 2013
Dear Mr. Christop2,

Glad to read that the Mercer Hotel Barcelona team was very helpful and helped you at all times to make the reservations you requested. That's our main reason for being, help to our guests always.

Thank you very much for your feedback and we hope see you soon.

Best regards,

Charlbury
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2013

We have just got back from a 4 day break in Barcelona, staying at The Mercer.The hotel was one of the best boutique properties I have stayed in. The staff were phenomenal (particularly Gloria on reception, Jose the Sommelier and Tony the night receptionist), always friendly and very helpful. The room was light and airey with an incredibly comfortable bed, the tapas were excellant and the location in the Gothic quarter is perfect for reaching almost all the local shopping and places of interest - in fact, apart from travelling to and from the airport, we didn't use a single taxi. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting this beautiful city

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are good. My advice is do not close the shutters on the windows unless you set...
8 Thank Dave O
Francesc H, Gerente at Mercer Hotel Barcelona, responded to this review, 20 February 2013
Dear Mr. Dave,

As director of the Mercer Hotel Barcelona I have to say that I am thrilled when I get a comment like yours and especially when they are written the names of the members of the staff.

Glad to see that your expreriencia has been excellent.

Thank you very much for your comments,

Best regards,

Zoersel, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2013

Last week we stayed in Hotel Mercer for 4 nights and it was an exceptional experience. First of all because of the staff. Every member of the staff was completely dedicated to offering us the best possible service: the people at the reception desk, the bell man, the people in the restaurant and the tapas bar, they all responded with enthousiasm to our requests. Secondly because of the building and the way it is decorated: the combination of old and new, the choice of every piece of furniture, the materials used. All those details make a stay at the hotel a real pleasure.

Room Tip: We stayed in 108 (junior suite) which has a large terrace.
9 Thank Mceev11
Francesc H, Gerente at Mercer Hotel Barcelona, responded to this review, 19 February 2013
Dear Mr. Mceev11,

I am pleased to personally thank you for sharing with us your memorable experience at the Mercer Hotel Barcelona, that will be shared with all my staff.

I am really thrilled to hear that you had a personalized attention in all our departments.

I hope to welcome you again soon.

Kind regards,

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights. The hotel was a joy to behold; beautiful restorations, great design and perfect location.
However, the bed was unusually hard, the aircon couldn't be turned on, and there was no drinking water in the rooms.
This meant that we did not really have a solid night's sleep while we were here, and over the days my opinion went from a "great fantastic" to a "meh, I guess I can sleep at the next stop"

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank UnityNich
Dear Mr. UnityNich,

As General Manager of the Mercer Hotel Barcelona,I thank you for your feedback.

I am sorry to hear that your stay was not as comfortable as expected, we try to take the appropriate actions to fulfill the guest expectations based on your comments, is for that that I take a note to try that happen never more.

I hope we have the opportunity of hosting you again.

Kind regards,

Grand Cayman
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2013

Our stay in this hotel began really well with an email exchange with certain requests such as a room next to each other, all of which were well dealt with. When we arrived the staff were very friendly, helpful and attentive. I really appreciated the fact that this hotel was very quiet, a sanctuary away from it all after a day's sightseeing and yet easy walking distance to many of Barcelona's attractions.
The breakfast was a several course gourmet delight and well worth including in the room rate in advance. This was helped by the lovely waitress Anya who made my mother and I feel very special and remembered every detail such as how I like my tea!
The rooms were modern and spacious with lovely bathrooms and everything you would expect from a quality hotel. We really enjoyed our stay, felt the price was really worth it and would most definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the courtyard looked nice but we had rooms 209 and 210 which overlooked a smal...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
9 Thank alinsun
Francesc H, Gerente at Mercer Hotel Barcelona, responded to this review, 7 February 2013
Dear SR. Alinsun,

I are pleased to read your comments about our hotel but even more I am delighted to read that the Mercer Hotel Barcelona staff has been attentive and accommodating with you. This is our main reason to be.

The Mercer Hotel Barcelona staff, including the General Manager, are to make the guest experience always excellent.

I am realy glad to know that your stay had been excelent.

Thank you very much for sharing your opinion with us,

Warm regards,

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2013

Stayed for a weekend break without children so splashed out for something special and expected something special in return. We were delighted then with the service and attention we received at the Mercer. The bed was super comfy, the room service was swift and delicious, the room was beautiful and the windows shut out every sound when firmly closed. Perfect. The design of the whole hotel was a clever blend of modern fittings over an ancient frame. The location was ideal for walking round the old town or down to Barceloneta and although there are taxis everywhere it was nice to have a rank available 3 minutes away. Great stay and well recommended.

Room Tip: we had 201 which was fine
1 Thank SW4Reviewer
Francesc H, Gerente at Mercer Hotel Barcelona, responded to this review, 5 February 2013
Dear Mr. SW4Reviewer

We are glad to know that looking for a special hotel, you decided to stay with us.

The Mercer Hotel Barcelona is located in the heart of the Gothic Quarter and this makes it an ideal hotel to enjoy not only the hotel but also the city.

Thank you very much for your feedback and I hope to you soon.

Warm greetings