“Best Boutique Hotel in Barcelona”

Mercer Hotel Barcelona
Ranked #4 of 514 Hotels in Barcelona
Kitchener, Canada
“Best Boutique Hotel in Barcelona”
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Our experience with this Hotel was so amazing. We always stay at 5 Star Hotels and I have to say this was one of the most stunning boutique hotels we have stayed at. The hotel itself is clean and historically interesting with tastefully modern touches. The rooms are spacious and very clean. The food was amazing. Get the breakfast and make sure you order the beans and sausage......so good!!!! The location was perfect. The staff was so pleasant, helpful and made our experience unforgetable. Thank you to Mecer Hotel and Staff; we will be back.

3 Thank Margiehillis
Francesc H, Director General at Mercer Hotel Barcelona, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Dear Mrs. Margi,

Thank you very much.

When I read comments like, "We always stay at 5 Star Hotels and I have to say this was one of the most stunning boutique hotels we have stayed at" I know that we are going for the correct way. We are working really hard to be one of the best hotels in Barcelona.

Thanks a lot for share your experience with us,

See you soon,

Francesc Holgado

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We stayed at the Mercer Hotel for 6 days in May. It definitely was the highlight of our trip to Barcelona! The week we were there was the European "spring break" and the city was extremely crowded with tourists. The Mercer was a quiet, beautiful refuge.

All the reviews here are accurate. The hotel is absolutely lovely….but the real difference between this and other hotels you may choose is the staff. They went out of their way to do extra things for us. Here are just a few examples:

- I had seen a room on their website with a four-poster bed and emailed the hotel requesting it for our stay. I got a prompt email confirmation that the room was available for us. Sure enough, when we arrived we were given the exact room I requested.

- I emailed before our arrival and asked if they could call a particular store for me and inquire about a pair of boots that I couldn't find in the United States. Again, I was sent a very prompt email assuring me that the boots were being held for me at the store, in my size!

- I bought some chocolate bars at an outdoor market in Barcelona and then couldn't find them again. The front desk called the chocolate company for me to see when and where they would sell the chocolate again in town.

- On our last day, I misplaced my reading glasses. They not only helped me look for them (to no avail), but after we departed for the airport I received an email letting me know that the cleaning staff found the glasses and they would be mailing them to me!

These are just a few examples of the extra effort put forth by the wonderful staff at the Mercer.
Thank you especially to Roger, who was a true delight. Also, the sweet man who ran around with me looking for my glasses. I'm sorry, I don't remember his name.

The Mercer is a beautiful gem. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Barcelona. You shouldn't either!!

Room Tip: Our room was 108. It was very nice with a large outdoor terrace. But we didn't end up using th...
4 Thank g0t0ne
Dear Mr. g0t0ne,

When I answer the comments of our guests I try not to repeat myself but sometimes is dificult for me because I feel really flattered and really proud of my staff.

As General Manager I have tried to transmit my vision of the hospitality and the service and when I read comments like yours... uff... is marvelous.

All that we make in the Mercer Hotel Barcelona is sincere, we are really happy to work in a hotel like this.

Thanks a lot for your comments and we hope see you soon back with us.

Warm regards,

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 28 May 2013

A stunning boutique hotel in the amazing Barrio Gotic. A beautifully renovated property that includes some of the original walls of the city - there is something magical about staying in a modern hotel that has been lovingly renovated to include and honour elements of the city's history.

Rooms were immaculate and well appointed, and the location is very quiet considering how central it is.

But what really sets the Mercer apart is the tremendous service that the staff provides. And the service seems sincere as well. You really feel like you are at a home away from home and not in a hotel. From Juan Emmanuel's warm welcome to Bogdan's history lesson about the hotel and the neighborhood, to Isidro's great suggestions for places to visit when travelling in Andalucia to the staffs perfect recommendations for restaurants and their honest opinions about what to see in Barcelona, everyone at the hotel works their hardest to ensure that your stay is a comfortable and memorable one. I feel guilty just singling out these three staff members, because EVERYONE at the Mercer was friendly, helpful and sincerely dedicated to their guests.

One incident illustrates the Mercer's dedication to its guests. On a Sunday night - when much is closed - Isidro at the front desk arranged a reservation at a nearby restaurant. But as it would be hard to find, he walked us from the hotel to the restaurant and made sure that our table was waiting. And he absolutely refused a tip.

In short, the Mercer is worth every penny. Highest recommendation possible.

2 Thank Frank Y
Dear Mr. Frank,

When I read comments like yours I feel really flattered.

I agree with you that the Mercer Hotel Barcelona is a space magical with soul, is for that that all the staff of the hotel try to be better every day. I can say you that our service is sincere, we know that we are working in Hospitality and we know our guests they want to receive the best service, is for that that we try to improve every day.

Thank you very much for your honest review, they helps us a lot..

Best regards,

Reviewed 26 May 2013

If you are traveling to Barcelona I highly recommend the Mercer Hotel. We found this property on Jetsetter.com and immediately booked five nights in the property. If you love the idea of staying in an ancient Roman ruin that has been tastefully updated with modern design you will love this property.

In my opinion a property is equally defined from service and attention to detail. This property excelled on both accounts, I felt like I was staying with old wealthy friends who never tired of my requests.

Next time I am in Barcelona I will absolutely be staying at this property, thanks for a job well done!

• Stayed May 2013
4 Thank UWSNYC1
Francesc H, Director General at Mercer Hotel Barcelona, responded to this review, 27 May 2013
Dear UWSNYC1,

Thank you very much for your comments. We are really happy that you tell us: "thanks for a job well done". We try to be better and help our guests every day, reviews like yours help us a lot.

Best regards.

Westfield, New Jersey
Reviewed 21 May 2013

I just got back from Barcelona with three friends and stayed at the Mercer Hotel.We have been traveling together for around 20 years staying at some really nice hotels along the way. If you like boutique hotels, this is the best one we have stayed in BY FAR.What made it great was it's location(in the middle of the old town) but especially it's staff. Juan Manel and the entire staff were incredible.They make you feel like you are the only guest in the hotel and can't do enough for you.(I lost my iphone in the back of a taxi and one of the staff insisted that he meet the driver(at 1am) to retrieve it and suggested I wait safely back in the hotel.They are extremely knowledgeable,friendly and gracious. This really is a 5 star hotel. It's the real deal.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
9 Thank Harvey R
Francesc H, Director General at Mercer Hotel Barcelona, responded to this review, 23 May 2013
Dear Mr. Harvey,

I'm really proud when I read comments like yours.

We try to be helpful to our guests and when found your Iphone lost or receive feedback like yours we feel happy.

Thanks for all and we hope see you soon.

Warm regards,

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 17 May 2013

Great service, great room, great location. We look forward to returning. We arrived on weekend and the staff could not have been friendlier or more helpful. The cab driver had a hard tie finding the place and when you find it you'll know why. The location is fantastic. You can walk the old city and the subway is 2 blocks away.

Room Tip: We originally requested a room facing the interior court yard but not available. We loved our room w...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Victor S
Francesc H, Director General at Mercer Hotel Barcelona, responded to this review, 21 May 2013
Dear Mr. Victor,

We are deeply grateful for your comment toward the Mercer Hotel Barcelona.

It's true that one of our strongest point is our staff, I can say you that they are working really hard to find a solution about the taxis.

We hope to welcome you back in our Mercer Hotel Barcelona.

Best Regards.

London
Reviewed 15 May 2013

We have just returned from a weeks stay in Barcelona and as we couldn't decide which hotel to stay in, we chose two! We stayed at the Mercer for four nights and it was amazing!! I simply cannot speak highly enough of the hotel and its amazing staff!

The main reason for our visit was for the grand prix so we had booked our room at the Mercer in November. Upon room selection we ensured we booked a deluxe room that came with a bathtub. When we checked into our room we discovered that there wasn't a bath, and as we had booked so far in advance the staff went out of their way to come up with a solution for us. This is just one example of the fantastic service we received. The staff are probabaly some of the best I have ever come across in a hotel, they were polite and helpful and went out of their way to ensure our stay was perfect.

The hotel itself is absolutely stunning, the mixture of old and new is amazing. I love the exposed brickwork all through the hotel mixed with modern glass walls and furniture. The hotel looks just like the pictures!!

Our room was perfect. We had a suite with a very large living room area, a large bedroom and a very big bathroom complete with walk in shower and large bathtub!

The location is great, the Gothic district is a lovely place but as we stayed over the grand prix weekend we didn't get much chance to explore the area but what we did see was lovely!

The hotel also has a terrace on the top floor with a swimming pool which we used on the last day to relax and top up our tans! This is a lovely touch, particularly in a city.

One thing to be aware off is a lot of taxis wont take you to the hotel entrance as its down an extremely narrow road so just be aware of the location in case you do get dropped off slightly away!

Overall our stay was perfect and I would definitely stay in the Mercer again if I ever return to Barcelona.

7 Thank Symmy07
Dear Mr. Symmy,

Thank you very much for your nice words towards the Mercer Hotel Barcelona and your staff.

We work hard every day to try to make a unique experience for our unique guests. So, if you also enjoy the Formula 1 our mission has been accomplished.

We hope to welcome you back in our Hotel for your next trip to Barcelona.