“Just like a dream!”

Ranked #4 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Vollen, Norway
“Just like a dream!”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

The Hotel in the heart of Barcelona's gothic district is architecturally beautiful with its combination of the warmth & history of ancient stone. Townhouse was restored by Pritzker Prize-winning architect Rafael Moneo. The Roman-era walls, exposed brickwork and soaring ceilings pair with minimalist Scandinavian decor.
After a delayed trip from Norway we arrived at this exceptional hotel. We got a great welcome from a very professional staff, after a glass of cold cava our relaxing stay started. We stayed at room 108 junior suite, this gave us all the luxury we needed, especially to have own private outside big terrace was exceptional. We got excellent room service despite the late hour, what a way of relaxing drinking a good bottle of Bollinger sitting outside at this beautiful place. Next morning we had our breakfast at a nice open area, well prepared and excellent served by an extremely polite waiter. Since the hotel is very central located shops and other places are on short walking distance. Sadly that on all good times there come an end, but we decided that this hotel will be on our list on top favourite places so we will for sure return soon!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Arie-Jan V
Francesc H, Director General at Mercer Hotel Barcelona, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Dear Mr. Jan,

As General Manager of the Mercer Hotel Barcelona I feel really flattered when I read enthusiastic comments like yours.

I try to explain many time my staff that we work steadily to provide our guests with the best hospitality services possible. I am very proud that succeeded with you. Thank you so much for put the Mercer Barcelona in your list on top favourite places

I appreciate a lot your feedback and look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Francesc Holgado

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Very much enjoyed my stay at the Mercer. The staff are friendly, knowledgeable, and professional. Stayed in room 310, it was spacious, stylish and had the most amazing bathtub and shower. The hotel is tucked away on a side street in the Gothic quarter and is close to Las Rambles, Born (great shopping), the waterfront, and Boqueria market. I like that the hotel decided to forgo the stocked bar fridge and the staff fill it each day with complimentary bottled water. There is not much of a view from the rooftop patio but it is a lovely place to spend time relaxing in the sun. I would absolutely return to the Mercer if I ever found myself back in Barcelona.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank BDelorey
Dear Mr. Delorey,

Thank you so much for share your excellent experience with us and with ours future guests.

As General Manager of the Mercer Hotel Barcelona I appreciate a lot the feedback of our guests. I feel really proud when I read comments like yours.

We look forward to welcoming back when you come to Barcelona.

Kindly regards,

Belleville, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 20 October 2013

On September 24th, my sister(Sandra Mercer) and I arrived at the Mercer Hotel, Barcelona, all the way from Canada.
We were totally exhausted after only three hours of sleep and with the 6 hour time change.
We arrived outside your hotel to be greeted by two lovely men,Roger and Isidro.

We were escorted into the desk to confirm our reservations and then we
were offered a room upgrade at no extra charge! This was a wonderful
bonus!
Then we met Bogdan who took us on a tour of the hotel, giving us a
thorough history of the building and the new additions. Bogdan then took
us to our room to ensure everything was suitable, and we entered a
beautiful, bright, clean and stunning room which opened up inside the
courtyard, a nice and quiet room so we could not be disturbed and we
could rest without noise.

Our suitcases arrived next by Bogdan.
My sister and I freshened up then went out to explore the city. Before
departing the hotel, we were given hand drawn maps from Isidro. Isidro
also told us about restaurants very close and some must see sights. He
wrote out the name of the street we were on, in addition to a local
courtyard, incase we got lost we could show this place to a cab driver.
The directions were fabulous. Isidro went above and beyond to ensure we
were given accurate directions.

Finally we returned to our room to sleep, and we were surprised to find
cold water, and some delectable sweet treats.

The experience was fabulous! We have certainly recommended your hotel to
many people. If returning to Barcelona, I would stay at the Mercer Hotel, without hesitation.

Located in the centre of the historic region, yet located on a cozy side street! Best of both worlds!

Room Tip: The rooms facing the old courtyard. Trust the staff, they will give you a fabulous room!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Mary-Lou S
Dear Madam,

Many thanks for share your "Royality" experience with us.

As General Manager of the Mercer Hotel Barcelona I appreciate a lot the feedback of our guests. I feel really flattered when I read comments like yours.

I would like to tell you that all the staff of the hotel work steadily to provide our guests with the best hospitality services possible.

We look forward to welcoming back soon.

Kincardine, Canada
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We stayed at the Mercer Hotel in Barcelona for 4 days. What a gem! With just 28 rooms, and built on old Roman Ruins, this hotel is bursting with charm. It is located in the old district tucked away on a back street near the Barcelona Cathedral. From the moment we arrived, the staff did their best to ensure we were comfortable. We arrived early following a cruise so our room was not ready but we were offered breakfast and given suggestions as to what we could do until the room was available. Guest relations staff Joan Manel and Roger went above and beyond ensuring that we were happy with our accommodations. We had dinner at the hotel Le Bouchon the first night; the food was wonderful (cod was succulent and the squab was cooked to perfection) but there are plenty of good tapas restaurants in the area. The hotel’s roof top terrace was closed but because the weather was so warm, the staff said they would bring us a glass of wine to enjoy on the terrace. We stayed in #307 our room over looked ruins and with three windows offered plenty of light. If you want a make-up mirror, ask for a room that has one located in the bathroom area. Some rooms have the make up mirror on the desk and the task lighting in this area is very low. The decor is modern and the rooms are well appointed. Shopping around the hotel is plentiful – leather, jewellery, clothing and there are many churches, cathedrals, and museums to visit. It is a 5 - 10 minute walk to Barcelona's famous La Rambla. This hotel is a fabulous find. We will stay here again the next time we come to Barcleona!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Michael Gail W
Dear Mrs. Gail,

First of all I would like to tell you how thankful I am for your excellent review.

Secondly, as General Manager of the Mercer Hotel Barcelona, I am very satisfied that you wrote us such a complimentary assessment. We work 24/7 so that our guests experience enjoyable stays. I am pleased that yours was a positive experience.

We look forward to welcoming you again at our hotel next time you come to Barcelona.

Carmel, Indiana
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We planned to stay in Barcelona for 2 nights after our cruise in August. I searched tripadvisor to find a good hotel. (I'm very particular.) the Mercer hotel had so many wonderful recommendations that we chose to stay there. We were so glad we did. Although we had to get off the ship by 8:30 and were at the hotel by 9 AM, they had a room ready for us. The room was big and modern and beautiful and extremely clean.The shower was amazing! The hotel is located in the medieval and gothic part of Barcelona, and everything we wanted to see was in walking distance! There is so much to see nearby. The staff was so warm and helpful and engaging at every point during our stay. There was free wifi so that was nice. We asked for a recommendation for dinner one evening. We ended up walking further than we expected, but it will remain one of the dining experiences we will never forget: a series of delicious tapas and a pitcher of sangria, and very reasonably priced. Breakfast was included and it was served in a delightful small courtyard and very elegant! We cannot wait to go back to Barcelona and we will certainly stay at the Mercer. I recommend the Mercer as one of the finest hotels I have ever stayed at.

There had only been one negative comment on tripadvisor about this hotel: that it was located in a small alleyway and the taxi driver dropped people off a couple of blocks away. I emailed the hotel and asked about this and they sent me a very specific map of the alleyways so that taxis can take you right to the front door.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Nancy B
Francesc H, Director General at Mercer Hotel Barcelona, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Dear Madam,

As General Manager of the Mercer Hotel Barcelona, I feel really flattered when I read comments like yours. Thank you so much!

I said always that we work steadily to provide our guests with the best hospitality services possible. I am pleased that yours was a positive experience.

I look forward to welcoming you again at our hotel next time you come to Barcelona.

Toronto
Reviewed 11 October 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Mercer Hotel for six nights in September. I cannot say enough about this hotel. From when we checked in (and were given a nice cold glass of cava) until when we left, we felt welcome and that whatever we possibly needed would be taken care of. The location (The Barri Gothic) was our favourite area in Barcelona and we could walk everywhere from the hotel. Our room, which faced out onto the street and on the second floor, was spacious and quiet. The shutters on the windows blocked out any exterior noise and the room was nice and dark so we slept very well. The bedding was fabulous. We ate dinner one night at the restaurant - the food was divine. We have travelled extensively throughout Europe, Canada and the United States and I can say, with no hestitation, that the service we received from every staff member at the Mercer was exceptional. Special mention must be given to Juan Manuel, who not only gave us a nice tour of the hotel on arrival, but managed to get us tickets to see FC Barcelona, as well as Florencia, who gave us excellent advice on sightseeing and restaurants. Thank you very much to both of you for making our stay so pleasant. We will definitely be visiting The Mercer Hotel Barcelona again!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank FBrown
Dear Mrs. Brown,

First of all I would like to tell you how thankful I am for your enthusiastic review.

Thank you so much!

Reviewed 10 October 2013

We stayed here with 3 other couples in Sept 2013 for 3 nights, and had an excellent stay. The concierge, Juan Manuel, was probably the most helpful we have ever had (and we just got off an excellent cruise). We could walk everywhere - and did - from this great location. The rooms are very modern in this very old area. Be forewarned that taxis seem to have trouble finding the hotel because it is on such a tiny street. They have to get you close, then you call the hotel and they walk out to get you. (This happened to all 4 couples). On our departure, the driver did come to the front door, and then we had an interesting ride out. There is a nice rooftop sundeck with pool.

Room Tip: If you are someone who applies makeup, ask for another room than 101. The 3 rooms that pur friends...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nancy M
Francesc H, Director General at Mercer Hotel Barcelona, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Dear Madam,

I am very grateful for your comments about your stay with us.

As General Manager of the Mercer Hotel Barcelona I would like to tell you that we work steadily to provide our guests with the best hospitality services possible. These is the reason why our guests are picked up from where the taxi stops so that they have a comfortable arrival. In addition, we are making our best efforts to show taxi companies how to get to our hotel.

I appreciate your feedback and look forward to seeing you again in the future.