“Perfect place in the centre of Barcelona”

Mercer Hotel Barcelona
Ranked #4 of 512 Hotels in Barcelona
Ghent, Belgium
“Perfect place in the centre of Barcelona”
Reviewed 17 November 2013

In a small street parallel to via Laeitana, in the middle of the old quarter. Perfect place to visit the center of Barcelona.
The rooms are very spacious, with high quality modern decoration with respect for the old elements in the magnificent palace.
Service was excellent and very friendly.
Cocktailbar was a perfect place to start your evening.
One point of criticism: breakfast was excellent but the formulas are a bit weird; and the buffet was not really a buffet: they did bring everything to the table, with some strange pauzes in between.
A full breakfast for everyone would be better.

Certainly a place i would come back on a next occasion.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Frederic3006
Francesc H, Director General at Mercer Hotel Barcelona, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your excellent reviews.

As General Manager of the Mercer Hotel Barcelona, I take note about your comments about the breakfast. We are looking a excelent guest experience and all the comments help us to improve.

We look forward to welcoming back soon.

Francesc Holgado

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Jurmala, Latvia
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

A wonderful hotel! Really fantastic location in heart of Gothic quarter, but very quite, very modern, luxury feeling, nice decor, delicious food, good wine list, kind knowledgable staff is happy to help with everything. Really good value for money. Definitely will come back!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Roland_Jurmala
Dear Sir,

Thank you so much for your excellent review about our hotel.

As General Manager of the Mercer Hotel Barcelona, I feel really proud when I read comments like yours. All the staff of the Mercer Barcelona work steadily to provide our guests with memorable stays. I am satisfied that yours was a very good experience.

I look forward to welcoming back soon.

Best regards,

Sion, Switzerland
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Despite an incident we "experienced" the day of arrival at the tapas restaurant “the bouchon” we enjoyed a very pleasant stay. We have to say that the full young team around the Sales Manager Jordi Garcia did an excellent job: always helpful, providing good pieces of advice for excursions or restaurants, keeping smiling all the time. All the staff members we met tried their best to fulfil our wishes: thank you so much for that! The hotel location is very adapted to discover Barcelona, it’s perfectly situated between the port and the old city. The hotel offers a flawless mixture between an ancient and also historical construction and modern decoration, what we truly appreciated. We slept very well with the windows fully closed (the first evening we tried with open windows but it was impossible because of the pedestrians shouting on the street at night). The hotel generously gave us a late check-out till 6 pm for free, what was a benediction with our flight taking off at 8.30pm!
Queerly we didn’t see the manager during our 4 days’ stay.
To be honest the main frustration apart from “the bouchon” came from the room: it was beautiful but dark and lacking of equipment. We missed especially the minibar in the room and storing place for our clothes!
On the whole the stay was good but the hotel should concentrate on adding some equipment and services (for example a gym!) to compete with the conventional 5 stars houses.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Francesc H, Director General at Mercer Hotel Barcelona, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for sharing with us your comments about your stay in our hotel.

As General Manager, I will tell you that Jordi García informed to me on saturday morning about your incident happened in Le Bouchon on friday night and I told him that on Monday morning I would be at the hotel to listen your comments personally. When I arrived on monday morning I ask him about you and he explained to me that all was solved and that you don't wanted talk more about it. Is for that I don't tell you anything.

For all of us and especially for me, the most important of our hotel is the guests satisfaction. I want to ask you thousand apologies for the misunderstanding!

I look forward to welcoming back you soon.

Newport, Rhode Island
Reviewed 12 November 2013

My wife an I often disagree a little about hotels. I like overt luxury and she prefers understated charm. Mercer Hotel in Barcelona hits the sweet spot for us. The Hotel, built into an ancient city wall, is unique and distinctively charming. The architectural details used provide modern luxury while retaining the essential and often beautiful characteristics of the original building. The service matches the building in its simple elegance - attentive but not intrusive. This is a beautiful hotel in a fantastic location where the service and structure provide a peaceful and elegant oasis from the exciting bustle of Barcelona.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank aaa60978
Dear Sir,

Thanks a lot for your excellent reviews!

As General Manager of the Mercer Hotel Barcelona, I feel really flattered when I read experiences like yours. You can rest assured that all the staff of the Mercer Barcelona work steadily to provide our guests with the best hospitality services possible. I am satisfied that yours was a very good stay.

We look forward to welcoming back soon.

Kindly regards,

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 12 November 2013

What more can I say. I wanted to do this trip up right, just like all vacations I go on. So in terms of expense I tend to say "well, I only live once". The Mercer blew away all my expectations. I seriously wanted to stay at this hotel from the moment I laid eyes on it and read the reviews. It was in prime Gothic Quarter location - perfection. Within 5-10min walking of the best restaurants, shopping, and the most beautiful architecture I've ever seen.

1. The staff are the most pleasant, helpful, delightful hotel staff I've come across (and as a portrait & travel photographer the most stunningly gorgeous women and men). Kind of wish I booked a session. Seriously. Supermodels work here.

2. We were treated to a tour of the hotel. Since when does this happen? We felt like royals.

3. The hotel is gorgeous. From floor to ceiling, stunning. Guys, bring a girl here and she will be in awe. We stayed in the junior executive suite after being upgraded and requesting a cot (we made this request over the phone - 3 months after making the request the staff still remembered our conversation and knew who exactly I talked to).

4. The staff are at your beck and call. My brother and I enjoyed gin and tonics on the roof top next to the pool on an absolutely gorgeous day, enjoyed a delicious breakfast and splurged on tappas in the hotel bar.

You can see other photos of Barcelona here: http://davidaustinphotography.tumblr.com/tagged/barcelona

Notes:
If you're taking a taxi here: They'll drop you off on the main road and you'll have to walk about 5min to get to the hotel. Expect 30euro-ish from the airport.

My brother spoke Spanish and this helped quite a bit throughout our trip as not everywhere did people speak English.

Try not to walk by yourself in the gothic quarter after dark. It can be nerve racking and you can easily get turned around.

Room Tip: Email / call ahead if you have the opportunity. They're super friendly and attentive to personal...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank David A
Dear Sir,

Thank you so much for sharing your excellent experience in the Mercer Hotel Barcelona with us and with all our future guests.

I say always that we work 24/7 looking for the best hospitality services to provide our guests with unforgettable stays and when I read your comments, I felt really flattered. Many thanks!

I look forward to welcoming back when you come to Barcelona.

Best regards,

New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Even before you officially set foot in the Mercer there is much anticipation as you walk the streets of the old city. You really do feel transformed and transported into a different time. We were greeted with much warmth and the check-in was a breeze. After check-in is complete the concierge gives you a tour of the hotel and describes the surrounding neighborhood. The concierge team was very gracious and very helpful if you needed any destination or restaurant suggestions. Rooms are modern/minimalist and the bathrooms and shower are very functional and modern. Beds were super comfortable. One drawback is the lighting in the room as it is not a very well lit room to read a book in the evening unless of course you own an iPad or an e-reader. We chose not to eat in the hotel as there were so many places to eat near the hotel. Also the hotel had a nice terrace to rest and lounge with a very small pool.

Location is central to many locations which include the waterfront, Picasso museum, shopping, and most of the great restaurants in the city. For sights like the La Sagrada Familia you can definitely walk or take the excellent metro system which is quite easy to use even if you speak no Spanish. We found Barcelona to be a great walking city with so many different and distinct neighborhoods.

Overall it was a great experience and we will definitely stay here on our next visit to Barcelona.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank CETNYC1
Francesc H, Director General at Mercer Hotel Barcelona, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear Sir,

Many thanks for your excellent comments.

As General Manager of the Mercer Hotel Barcelona, I am glad when I read experiences like yours. I will tell you that after the comments of our guests, we are working in the new lighting in the room and I hope that when you return to the hotel try our gastronomy, In my opinion is fantastic.

Thanks a lot and I look forward to welcoming back when you come to the Mercer Hotel Barcelona.

Perth
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Currently staying here for a week and loving it! A little hard to find but that just adds to the charm. Staff incredibly friendly and attentive and our suite is superb, well laid out huge bathroom and bath.
Bed very comfy and great amenities although only a courtyard view. Price reasonable and easily the best hotel we have stayed at in Barcelona....make the effort and find it!

Room Tip: Try for the suites
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Clay G
Dear Sir/Madam,

Many thanks for sharing your excellent reviews with us.

As General Manager of the Mercer Hotel Barcelona, I feel really flattered when I read comments like yours.

Thank you so much!