“Five Star in Every Respect” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mercer Hotel Barcelona

Mercer Hotel Barcelona
Ranked #4 of 522 Hotels in Barcelona
South Uist, United Kingdom
“Five Star in Every Respect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

This was my third stay in Barcelona in the last 18 months and it was definitely a case of third time lucky. This is a small hotel in a very quiet side street but is very centrally situated in the City Centre. Everything about the hotel was first class: the rooms, the food and particularly the service. The staff went out of their way to make us feel at home. My principal reason for the visit was to see a football match but my ticket got lost in the UK postal system so I arrived the day before the game without one. The staff went to a great deal of trouble to ensure I got a ticket and even kept my elderly mother entertained while I was at the game. The hotel is quite informal - not at all stuffy - but the whole experience is very much 5 star. This is the hotel I shall use for future trips to this wonderful city.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Devalera
Francesc H, Director General at Mercer Hotel Barcelona, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you so much for sharing with us and with our future eventual guests your excellent experience in the Mercer Hotel Barcelona.

As General Manager I am glad that your needs were fulfilled and you finally succeeded in attending the football game. We are pleased to assist our guests whenever it is required.

We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you visit Barcelona.

Warm regards,

Francesc Holgado

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Ra'anana, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

This is the first time I have written in Trip Advisor but felt it was my duty to tell you about this hotel. We visited Barcelona late November 2013. The Mercer Hotel is a small, intimate, beautifully designed hotel with a combination of the old ie the Roman and Medieval walls merging seamlessly with the modern minimalist design. Our teenage kids were in the slightly larger Deluxe Twin room and very comfortable with 3 beds, a wonderful bath and shower and we were in the adjoining but not interconnecting perfectly fine Superior Room which has a large modern shower but no bath. The rooms were facing the pretty internal courtyard and very quiet. Just to note there is only a half wall dividing the bedroom from the shower/ sink area with a separate private toilet in the room- there is not much privacy if in the shower. We ate the breakfasts there which were delicious.
The staff were delightful- I have never been in a hotel where they have been so genuinely charming, happy and helpful. They recommended good areas to eat and excellent restaurants and were lovely to our kids. They were happy to book tickets for museums, football tours, buses etc.
The location was perfect- we walked to most places from there occasionally taking a taxi. It was a perfect stay for 4 nights by which time we saw all the sights we wanted to see and had a wonderful time in Barcelona.

Room Tip: I would recommend Deluxe facing internal courtyard. There were no children's activities as this...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Anna M
Dear Madam,

I would like to thank you for sharing with us your excellent experience in our hotel.

As General Manager of the Mercer Hotel Barcelona, I am pleased to read comments like yours. We work steadily to provide our guests with the best stays possible. I am glad that it was so in your case.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

The service here is remarkable - anything we needed, the concierge assisted us with - getting discounted tickets to Casa Batllo or any recommendations for our next stop to Seville because one of the staff was from there. They were always attentive to our needs and very amenable to everything - this is definitely a recommended hotel that we'll stay at in the future.

Location wise, this is perfect - not caught in the loud hustle and bustle of La Rambla or Placa Reial but close enough that everything is only a five minute walk at most within the Barri Gotic in any direction we go.

I would recommend not driving directly to the front of the hotel - there's a reason why taxis don't drop off directly in front of the property - the "roads" can narrowly fit in a compact car, but trying to get out of the Barri Gotic in what was a novice American's second attempt at driving stick shift was quite possibly the most stressful part of our trip! (laughable now, but nerve wracking when your car is stuck between another car and a wall and there's only two inches of maneuvering space to get out of it). If a cab drops you off at the city hall, it's literally only a one minute walk to the property.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 309, beautiful and private. Don't drive to the front of the hotel! Just wal...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ikli7
Francesc H, Director General at Mercer Hotel Barcelona, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Dear Madam,

Thank you for sharing with us your comments.

As General Manager, I am glad when I read comments like yours. All the staff of the hotel works steadily to provide our guests with memorable stays. I am pleased that yours was a very satisfying experience.

We look forward to welcoming back when you come to Barcelona.

Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

This beautifully designed modern hotel is set within the pale stone of the Roman & medieval walls & is perfectly located to explore the city, whilst away from the crowds. Everywhere is furnished & equipped to the highest standards & it makes for an extremely comfortable stay.
We cannot praise the staff highly enough. Before our stay, they provided a list of restaurants & booked one for us. They recognised that it was a milestone birthday & upgraded us to a fabulous, spacious room. They provided a bottle of cava & a tray of savouries on the day. & at breakfast even surprised me with a tiny cake with a candle.
Staff were most helpful in suggesting places to visit. They booked the Sagreda Familia on line for us to avoid the need for us to queue & they assisted with local transport. Their efficiency & welcoming manner made us feel really special & cared for.
We thoroughly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 106, which was huge, with a lovely bathroom & a balcony overlooking the inner...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DavZ760
Dear Sir / Madam,

I would like to thank you for sharing with us your excellent experience in our hotel and your recommendation.

As General Manager of the Mercer Hotel Barcelona, I am pleased to read comments like yours. We work to provide our guests with memorables stays. I am glad that it was succeeded in your case.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Pompano Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

This hotel was such a nice surprise. The decor is beautiful and so cozy. We will definitely choose this hotel again if we return to Barcelona. The staff is amazing and so helpful. You can't beat the location and Barcelona is such a beautiful city. I highly recommend this Mercer Hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank choochoo123
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for sharing with us your excellent comments about the Mercer Hotel Barcelona and your highly recommendation.

We work steadily to provide our guests with the best stays possible. I am glad that it was so in your case. As General Manager of the hotel, I am pleased to read comments like yours.

We look forward to welcoming you back when you come to Barcelona.

Kindly regards,

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

I've stayed in some great hotels but the Mercer tops them all. Hidden away on the back streets of the gothic quarter you enter via huge woodern doors into a modern reception and bar area mixed with historical foundations.

The team couldn't be more attentive, offering a glass of cava on arrival to me and also a friend who wasn't even staying there!

Check in was simple. The rooms are large, designer and very quiet. Huge walk in shower, Lowe tvs, soft white towels and a huge and very comfortable king size bed.

Cosmetics are all Molton Brown, that says it all, class.

Will definitely only stay here from now on.

Incredible.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank kingkelly77
Francesc H, Director General at Mercer Hotel Barcelona, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for sharing with us your excellent comments about the Mercer Hotel Barcelona.

Many thanks!

We look forward to welcoming back when you come to Barcelona.

Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

We went to Barcelona over the weekend, and made the reservations just two weeks in advance, but luckily manage to get the last available room at Mercer.

The Hotell is really nice, and the service was excellent!

I want to send an extra thanks to the guest relations-team who helped us arrange table reservations at the best restaurants in Barcelona (according to me); Pakta and tickets, even thought you normally need to book it 3 months in advance.

If you are looking for a first class hotell, I can warmly recommend Mercer!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hans L L
Francesc H, Director General at Mercer Hotel Barcelona, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you so much for sharing your excellent experience in the Mercer Hotel Barcelona with us and with all our future guests.

As General Manager, I'm really satisfied when I receive comments like yours talking about my team. Many thanks!

I look forward to welcoming back when you come to Barcelona.