“A great experience”

Ranked #4 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Munich
“A great experience”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

The hotel is about 18 months old, but incorporates a part of the Roman wall dating to 15 B.C. Modern and tasteful, it has done a great job of incorporating old stone and in capturing the available light from above and giving a very open feeling (being in the Barri Gotic, it is surrounded on all sides by buildings and narrow alleys.)
Our huge room was on the third floor on the front of the hotel, along the ten- foot wide alley. It had original artwork from Catalonian artists, designer furniture and a big, open feel. The bedding was among the most comfortable I have ever had. My wife commented, as she drifted off to sleep, “You can go on back to Munich. I might just stay here!”
The walls were partly stone; the wide floorboards were of pickled oak; the vaulted ceiling had wooden beams. There were through- tenon oiled walnut tables and leather easy chairs with footstools. There is one TV in the living room and another in the bedroom.
There was a large wardrobe with guest safe and enough hangers to hold a month’s worth of clothes. Molton Brown soaps and amenities were in the bathroom, which had separate rooms for toilet, shower and bath + sink.
Service was outstanding. We were served fresh- squeezed orange juice while we were checked- in by the gracious and attentive staff. We were there around 11:30am and no surprise that our room was not ready -- but we were offered coffees and pastries and treated as though they were late, not that we were early! There was none of the “You can check in early for 50% extra payment” nonsense that you get from so many hotels today. The Mercer treats its guests very well indeed. It must be said that the Mercer is expensive, but well- worth it, and I have stayed in many expensive hotels which have come nowhere near the Mercer’s caring service. So in that light, the Mercer is a bargain.
We did not try their Michelin- starred restaurant, but when we returned from our evening meal it appeared to be full and they were turning away walk-ups – a good sign.
The location is fantastic. In the middle of the old city, it is a short walk to the Jaume I metro stop, a ten minute stroll to Seven Doors (a great seafood place), a six minute walk to Irati (great Basque tapas place with an amazing pil-pil (cod) and Txistorra (small and juicy chorizo sausages), a six minute walk to Placa Catalunya, numerous good restaurants all around, and only 20 min by cab from the airport (this was on a Sunday a.m., NO traffic, could be double at normal traffic conditions.)
My wife joined me at the end of a conference and we tacked- on the Mercer to extend the stay. Next year I am going to take the Mercer for the whole time and pay the difference! Highest recommendation.

Room Tip: The hotel's website has a good summary of the rooms and features of each room type
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank MunichEricJ
Francesc H, Director General at Mercer Hotel Barcelona, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear Sir,

Thank you so much for your excellent review and above all for your excellent explication about the Mercer Hotel Barcelona and our service!

As General Manager of the hotel, I feel really flattered when I read comments like yours. I am very proud to know that your stay with us was great and all the staff helped you.

We work to provide our guests with the best hospitality service possible and I am glad to know that we achieved it with you.

Thank you again and I hope to welcoming you back soon.

Francesc Holgado

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Ipswich UK
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I booked this not knowing it was number one on Trip Advisor - what a stroke of luck! The hotel is nestled down a tiny street in the lovely old Gothic area, centrally and conveniently positioned. It has been beautifully furnished, everything was very tasteful with very high quality furniture and fittings. It even smelt nice! The staff could not have been more helpful and obliging, it really is a centre of excellence in every way. The weather was wonderful so we spent some time on the roof terrace - again tastefully and thoughtfully furnished.
The only slight problem we had was that the electronic door cards were a bit temperamental and we had to renew ours on three occasions. But really that is the only slightly negative thing I can find to say! Unfortunately we didn't eat in the hotel restaurant, but certainly would have done had we realised there was a well known and Michelin starred chef! We shall save that treat for our next visit.

2 Thank Sumithra
Dear Madam,

I want to personally thank you for sharing with us your excellent review about the Mercer Hotel Barcelona!

As General Manager of the hotel, I am very proud to know that your stay with us was great. When I reply all the reviews that we receive, I try to explain that all the staff works to provide our guests with the best hospitality service possible but I want to tell you that I am really glad to know that succeeded with you.

Thank you so much again!

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our 3 nights at the Mercer Hotel. The staff from the moment we arrived were very helpful. Nothing was a trouble for them. We like sparkling mineral water - no problem We asked for extra pillows and no duvet but sheet and blanket - no problem. We wanted an early meal as we had been travelling 21hrs and the concierge suggested a suitable cafe as many do not open until later and we were very tired. Also the tapas bar is excellent and our waitress very attentive. We would definitely recommend this delightful boutique hotel.

1 Thank Beverley M
Francesc H, Director General at Mercer Hotel Barcelona, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you so much for your excellent review about the Mercer Hotel Barcelona!

As General Manager of the hotel, I am really proud to know that your stay with us was great and all the staff helped you.

Thank you again and I hope to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

If you are thinking about going to Barcelona, Mercer Hotel is defenettely the best place to stay.

The Hotel is amazing and beatifull but your stay gets even better with the gently and kind and wonderful concierge, Mr. Juan Manuel.

Mr. Manuel is the kind of person that hás the ability of making everything even better. He is extremely competent and treat you like of you are the last person in the world to tale care of. Undescrible!

Do not think twice, go to Mercer Hotel.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Francesc H, Director General at Mercer Hotel Barcelona, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your excellent review about our hotel!

As General Manager of the Mercer Hotel Barcelona, I want to personally thank you for sharing with us the excellent service received for Juan Manuel, our Guest Relations Manager.

All the staff of the hotel works hard to achieve that our guests receive the best hospitallity services possible. I am really glad to know that you received it and your stay with us was great.

Many thanks again!

Rochester, New York
Reviewed 7 April 2014

My stay at the Mercer Hotel was fabulous. The staff were friendly, knowledgeable and very helpful. The rooms were clean, spacious and comfortable. The fixtures were very new. Location was very convenient, within walking distance to most of the sites we visited and near a metro station. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Rooms that look over the courtyard are quiet and the windows open for fresh air
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Francesc H, Director General at Mercer Hotel Barcelona, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for sharing with us your highly recommendation about the Mercer Hotel Barcelona. I am glad to know that your stay with us was great!

As General Manager, I want to tell you that we try to provide our guests with the best hospitality services possible. I am proud to know that succeeded with you.

Many thanks again! and I hope to welcoming you back soon.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I chose this hotel because of the reviews. My husband and I spent the weekend and it was an ideal location.The hotel and staff were excellent. Very helpful and friendly. A very unique building with a very good restaurant. A shame we didn't have dinner there. I would highly recommend it.

Dear Madam,

Thank you so much for your highly recommendation about the Mercer Hotel Barcelona.

As General Manager of the hotel, I am proud to know that your stay with us was excellent. I hope next time you may try our restaurant, is very interesting.

Many thanks!

Baku, Azerbaijan
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

We chose this hotel according to TripAdvisor recommendations. And it was perfect. We stayed in Mercer for 3 days. The room, the staff, the location, everything was perfect. Our room was very unique with modern furniture and interesting design. The Guest Relations and the staff in general were like a big friendly family and we felt ourselves special. The prices are kind of expensive, but with all due responsibility we must say that it was worth every €. InshAllah we will return to the Mercer Hotel on our next trip to lovely Barcelona!!!

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank HA_Family88
Francesc H, Director General at Mercer Hotel Barcelona, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear Sir,

Thank you for sharing with us your excellent experience at the Mercer Hotel Barcelona.

As General Manager, I am really glad to know that your stay with us was excellent. All the staff of the hotel works to provide our guests with the best hospitality services possible. I am proud that succeeded with you.

Many thanks!