“Love this hotel; one of my favorites ever.”

Mercer Hotel Barcelona
Ranked #2 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Really love this hotel. Would come back in a nanosecond. We poneyed up for junior suite and were not disappointed. In center of Barrio Gotico quarter, near some great restaurants, a metro stop and w/in walking distance of many highlights.

Mercer is on a little street, a bit hard to find for taxi, but not a real problem. Staff were fantastic, especially the charming concierge, Florenzia. Nothing was a problem for her or her colleague.

Room was very quiet and well appointed. Looked out on back side of hotel, therefore, no real view, but not an air shaft. We had room 208 and we're very comfortable. Keep in mind the Gotico quarter is dark with narrow streets, so rooms are not light filled. The renovation of this very old building is cleaver and tasteful -- quite elegant and calming. Most importantly, can't find a negative thing to mention.

1  Thank MCSCarmel
Francesc H, Director General at Mercer Hotel Barcelona, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Sir / Madam,

I want to personally thank you for your excellent review of the Mercer Hotel Barcelona.

As the General Manager of the hotel, I am proud to know that your stay with us was really satisfactory. Thank you for your kind comment about our concierge, I am glad to hear that they have been helpful.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon,

With kind regards.

There are newer reviews for Mercer Hotel Barcelona

Reviewed 21 April 2014

peaceful rooms but in the centre of things. Good welcome and very helpful staff. Not too sure about the shower and basin being in the bedroom as it's a bit noisy for the other half trying to sleep in and the loo seats involved a balancing act! The modern and ancient mix of architecture is interesting and very relaxing and comfortable. Glad we used a taxi rather than trying to get through those streets in our hire car!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Francesc H, Director General at Mercer Hotel Barcelona, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for sharing with us your comments about our hotel.

As General Manager of the hotel, I am glad to know that your stay with us was very good.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

I travelled with my wife for a long weekend.
This hotel is positioned in the Barrio Gotico near Via Laietana.
While taxis occasionally access the small streets, approaching the hotel by feet is the best option.
The hotel is located in an old building fully and nicely restored.
We liked the hotel from the first approach as the valet came toward us to collect the luggage before we arrived in front of the hotel’ door.
All the rest of our stay went seamless.
The hotel is very nice; the service fantastic, attentive and discrete.
We found our room (101) nice and silent. We could sleep very well in a soft and cocooning bed.
I confirm that our room was dark. However, please note that you are in the historical center of a once medieval town; streets are narrow and the building in front is very close.
However, curtains are protecting intimacy at the detriment of external light.
There is a very nice patio and lovely terrace on the top of building.
One of the best hotels I have ever been and I would recommend it for sure.

2  Thank DEFE7275

Dear Sir,

I want to personally thank you for sharing with us your excellent review about the Mercer Hotel Barcelona!

As General Manager of the hotel, I am very proud to know that your stay with us was great. Is true that the hotel is in an area with narrow streets and sometimes some rooms are a little bit dark. We are working to solve it.

Thank you so much again!

Reviewed 12 April 2014

The hotel is about 18 months old, but incorporates a part of the Roman wall dating to 15 B.C. Modern and tasteful, it has done a great job of incorporating old stone and in capturing the available light from above and giving a very open feeling (being in the Barri Gotic, it is surrounded on all sides by buildings and narrow alleys.)
Our huge room was on the third floor on the front of the hotel, along the ten- foot wide alley. It had original artwork from Catalonian artists, designer furniture and a big, open feel. The bedding was among the most comfortable I have ever had. My wife commented, as she drifted off to sleep, “You can go on back to Munich. I might just stay here!”
The walls were partly stone; the wide floorboards were of pickled oak; the vaulted ceiling had wooden beams. There were through- tenon oiled walnut tables and leather easy chairs with footstools. There is one TV in the living room and another in the bedroom.
There was a large wardrobe with guest safe and enough hangers to hold a month’s worth of clothes. Molton Brown soaps and amenities were in the bathroom, which had separate rooms for toilet, shower and bath + sink.
Service was outstanding. We were served fresh- squeezed orange juice while we were checked- in by the gracious and attentive staff. We were there around 11:30am and no surprise that our room was not ready -- but we were offered coffees and pastries and treated as though they were late, not that we were early! There was none of the “You can check in early for 50% extra payment” nonsense that you get from so many hotels today. The Mercer treats its guests very well indeed. It must be said that the Mercer is expensive, but well- worth it, and I have stayed in many expensive hotels which have come nowhere near the Mercer’s caring service. So in that light, the Mercer is a bargain.
We did not try their Michelin- starred restaurant, but when we returned from our evening meal it appeared to be full and they were turning away walk-ups – a good sign.
The location is fantastic. In the middle of the old city, it is a short walk to the Jaume I metro stop, a ten minute stroll to Seven Doors (a great seafood place), a six minute walk to Irati (great Basque tapas place with an amazing pil-pil (cod) and Txistorra (small and juicy chorizo sausages), a six minute walk to Placa Catalunya, numerous good restaurants all around, and only 20 min by cab from the airport (this was on a Sunday a.m., NO traffic, could be double at normal traffic conditions.)
My wife joined me at the end of a conference and we tacked- on the Mercer to extend the stay. Next year I am going to take the Mercer for the whole time and pay the difference! Highest recommendation.

Room Tip: The hotel's website has a good summary of the rooms and features of each room type
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank MunichEricJ
Francesc H, Director General at Mercer Hotel Barcelona, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Dear Sir,

Thank you so much for your excellent review and above all for your excellent explication about the Mercer Hotel Barcelona and our service!

As General Manager of the hotel, I feel really flattered when I read comments like yours. I am very proud to know that your stay with us was great and all the staff helped you.

We work to provide our guests with the best hospitality service possible and I am glad to know that we achieved it with you.

Thank you again and I hope to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

I booked this not knowing it was number one on Trip Advisor - what a stroke of luck! The hotel is nestled down a tiny street in the lovely old Gothic area, centrally and conveniently positioned. It has been beautifully furnished, everything was very tasteful with very high quality furniture and fittings. It even smelt nice! The staff could not have been more helpful and obliging, it really is a centre of excellence in every way. The weather was wonderful so we spent some time on the roof terrace - again tastefully and thoughtfully furnished.
The only slight problem we had was that the electronic door cards were a bit temperamental and we had to renew ours on three occasions. But really that is the only slightly negative thing I can find to say! Unfortunately we didn't eat in the hotel restaurant, but certainly would have done had we realised there was a well known and Michelin starred chef! We shall save that treat for our next visit.

2  Thank Sumithra

Dear Madam,

As General Manager of the hotel, I am very proud to know that your stay with us was great. When I reply all the reviews that we receive, I try to explain that all the staff works to provide our guests with the best hospitality service possible but I want to tell you that I am really glad to know that succeeded with you.

Thank you so much again!

Reviewed 10 April 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our 3 nights at the Mercer Hotel. The staff from the moment we arrived were very helpful. Nothing was a trouble for them. We like sparkling mineral water - no problem We asked for extra pillows and no duvet but sheet and blanket - no problem. We wanted an early meal as we had been travelling 21hrs and the concierge suggested a suitable cafe as many do not open until later and we were very tired. Also the tapas bar is excellent and our waitress very attentive. We would definitely recommend this delightful boutique hotel.

1  Thank Beverley M
Francesc H, Director General at Mercer Hotel Barcelona, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you so much for your excellent review about the Mercer Hotel Barcelona!

As General Manager of the hotel, I am really proud to know that your stay with us was great and all the staff helped you.

Thank you again and I hope to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

If you are thinking about going to Barcelona, Mercer Hotel is defenettely the best place to stay.

The Hotel is amazing and beatifull but your stay gets even better with the gently and kind and wonderful concierge, Mr. Juan Manuel.

Mr. Manuel is the kind of person that hás the ability of making everything even better. He is extremely competent and treat you like of you are the last person in the world to tale care of. Undescrible!

Do not think twice, go to Mercer Hotel.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Francesc H, Director General at Mercer Hotel Barcelona, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your excellent review about our hotel!

As General Manager of the Mercer Hotel Barcelona, I want to personally thank you for sharing with us the excellent service received for Juan Manuel, our Guest Relations Manager.

All the staff of the hotel works hard to achieve that our guests receive the best hospitallity services possible. I am really glad to know that you received it and your stay with us was great.

Many thanks again!