“BEST HOTEL EVER!”

Mercer Hotel Barcelona
Ranked #4 of 520 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We went to the Mercer Hotel with 4 other friends as a fun gateway week end and a break from the children for 4 days. It was also my husbands' birthday the day we arrived. From the minute we stepped in the hotel, we were greeted by the most friendliest of staff. The hotel smelled beautiful and the cool air was welcomed! We were offered a complimentary glass of cava and because we booked through Mr and Mrs Smith, we were also offered a tapas styled lunch and wine on behalf of Mr and Mrs Smith. It was delicious. We all had booked junior suites and were showed to our rooms. Each one had a balcony and the room were luxurious and stylish. We then went to have a drink on the roof terrace where we were all pleasantly surprised by the size of the pool, we all assumed that it was smaller than it actually was. We had a swim and enjoyed the roof top views, the bar staff were too, extremely friendly. It was paradise and when we thought it couldn't get any better, on our return to our room, we had a knock on the door and we handed a bottle of Cava and some sweet treats on the house for my husbands birthday. We hadn't told them but they had noticed from his passport, such attention to its customers. This hotel continued to impress us throughout our stay, the breakfast was table served and delicious, the bed and bedding was the most comfortable bedding we had ever slept in..Honestly, I had never in my life slept so well. The hotel is stylish and impressive in its décor, everything is luxurious and comfortable. The staff team is amazing and helpful. Nothing can be faulted! Outstanding place, I will tell the whole world about the Mercer and will never stay anywhere else in Barcelona!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank magalie_billaud
Francesc H, Director General at Mercer Hotel Barcelona, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Madam,

Thank you so much for your enthusiastic explication about your stay at the Mercer Hotel Barcelona.

As General Manager of the Mercer Hotel Barcelona, I am very proud to hear that your stay with us was brilliant. All the Staff of the Mercer Hotel Barcelona works to provide our guests with the best memorable stay possible. I am glad to know that succeeded with you.

Francesc Holgado

Write a ReviewReviews (1,438)

Reviewed 25 July 2014

My wife and I stayed here three nights. I loved the clever design which incorporated sections of the old roman walls into the building. Our room was chic and comfortable. One problem was that it overlooked the street below which meant we did here some noise at night time. The pool area on the top floor was excellent. The pool was shallow and of modest size but it allowed you to cool off. We ordered food from the rooftop bar but it was expensive and the club sandwich was not a club sandwich but four tasteless dollops of pastry with some side lettuce for 18 euros. Their French fries were great. We found the price they wanted for breakfast was way to expensive at over 30 euros per person. Instead we e found tapas bars within 150 metres that served fresh orange juice, delicious coffee and croissants. The hotel was a 20 minute walk from the beach and the hotel helpfully provided towels and a beach carry bag. The staff at the hotel were outstanding. They were always pleasant, helpful and courteous while allowing themselves to relax and enjoy a laugh with you. The location was excellent, with quality restaurants all around and interesting sights. I would recommend this hotel to others. Unrelated to the hotel, I would like to mention a problem that we had with World Airport Transfers who I paid in advance to meet us at Barcelona airport and drive us to the hotel. Their representative, Splash, did not show and WAT is not providing a refund. Be warned fellow travellers!

Room Tip: Our room overlooking the street was a bit noisy at night. I would recommend a room overlooking the c...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TheWhistler15
Francesc H, Director General at Mercer Hotel Barcelona, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear Sir,

Thank you for sharing with us your comments about our hotel.

As General Manager of the Mercer Hotel Barcelona, I am glad to know that your stay with us was very good. I take note about your comments, they help us to improve our services and the relations with our guests. Thank you again!

Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Everything about this hotel is great. I have been to Barcelona a few time and each time I try a new place. I think I will come back to this one the next trip I have. I feel comfortable and at home. The staff is friendly and understand my special needs. It's hard for me to adjust my sleep schedule but they are very helpful in helping me create a dark atmosphere.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank gwenbraum
Francesc H, Director General at Mercer Hotel Barcelona, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear Madam,

As General Manager of the Mercer Hotel Barcelona, I want to personally thank you for sharing with us and with our future guests your excellent stay with us.

I am very glad to know that our staff help you and understood your special needs. Thank you again for your kindly comments.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

The Mercer Hotel is in an ideal location, in the Gothic area on a quiet, picturesque street and walkable to/from most sites. From the moment we walked in, the service was perfect - the friendly, knowledgeable staff made our stay particularly memorable. The concierge knew the exact location of every restaurant I asked about, marking my map with precision and making reservations for us when needed. When the taxis went on strike the day of my mother's departure, the bellman walked her to the airport bus at Catalunya at 6:00 am. When we arrived home and were missing the soccer shirt my son had proudly purchased with his own money (not the hotel's fault), the Mercer Hotel staff went out and purchased another shirt and shipped it to us in the U.S.! We were upgraded to a beautiful suite, with an amazing bathroom, large living room and bedroom. The room was well-appointed. There is a bit of street noise and you can hear doors closing from the hallway. The rooftop deck and very small pool are lovely - although the first day we had trouble getting chairs as it was crowded. These are the only downsides I can think of (other than the price, it is expensive, both the rooms and the bar menu on the rooftop, e.g., 12 Euros for a smoothie). Breakfast was delicious, and we ate at the restaurant attached to the hotel one evening, which was also very good. We hated to leave this hotel - we felt spoiled, and also felt like it was home. We will definitely return!

Room Tip: The suite was perfect for a family of four.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank JSMCT

Dear Madam,

As General Manager, I want to personally thank you for your excellent comments about the Mercer Hotel Barcelona.

I am proud to know that our staff made your stay memorable because this is the reason why we work steadily. We try to provide our guests with the best hospitality services and if some guests need our help we try to be always ready.

Thank you again for your kindly comments.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I "lived" at this hotel for one week and it was one of my best hotel experiences. Each day when I returned from work I felt like I was coming home. I ate nearly all of my dinners at the downstairs 'tavern', Le Bouchon. After a long day working at a teaching hospital, I wasn't feeling very adventurous and wanted to relax. The one night that I planned on having dinner in the restaurant, there was a private event, so...I ate at Le Bouchon, again. I enjoyed all of my meals, which were reasonably priced (Prior to my stay, I had spent 2 weeks in France so the prices were much less than what I had been used to).
When going to the hotel from the airport, print the directions on how to get to the front door. The hotel sent this to me in advance of my arrival, but I did not print them out, and had to hike uphill to get to the hotel's main entrance. I did not speak Spanish well enough to explain directions through the Gothic quarter, and made the assumption that every taxi driver knows their way around the Gothic quarter. I was traveling on business for one month in the winter, so I had quite a bit of weight to drag up the hill AND it had just started raining when I started my trek.
Anything that I needed - a place to re-pack my bag after I had checked out, store my luggage for the weekend while I took a quick trip to Bilbao and San Sebastian, directions, taxi, extension cord for my room...I just had to ask and the Mercer staff delivered. My room overlooked the inner courtyard and they had fantastic black-out shutters so that my room was like a cave when I went to sleep.
Every day I walked to the metro to travel to work and it was a beautiful and easy walk.
When I think of hotels that I want to return to one day for vacation, the Mercer Barcelona is on my list. Thank you!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Margaret R

Dear Madam,

As General Manager, I want to personally thank you for your excellent review about the Mercer Hotel Barcelona.

I am very glad to know that your long stay with as was brilliant. As you know, we have a small boutique hotel and we want our guests feels like at home. I am proud that succeeded with you. If we talk about "Le Bouchon", is our bistró, a place were Jean Luc Figueras offer his tapas in an informal ambient, like at home another time. I believe that these are the reasons why you felt like at home.

Thank you so much for your kindly comments.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We had a really lovely stay at the Mercer. The location is excellent, lots of unique little boutiques, bars, restaurants, massage parlour and places to rent bikes (10 euros/day) near by, a short stroll to the Ramblas and a 10 minute walk to the train station. The staff and service was excellent. Had a junior suite, was much smaller than expected and for the price paid, and not brilliant lighting. Really wish I had requested a room with the stone wall feature as that truly is the charm of the hotel and what we were looking forward to.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the stone wall feature.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Francesc H, Director General at Mercer Hotel Barcelona, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear Madam,

Thank you for your comments about the Mercer Hotel Barcelona.

As General Manager, I apologize for not be able pleased your request about the desing of the Junior Suite. As you know, we are a small boutique hotel with 28 rooms but only 9 Junior Suites with three differents designs and not all the rooms have stone walls. Some times we can not please this kind of requests. Sorry about that!

I look forward to welcoming you back soon and I hope be able pleased your request.

Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

I really enjoyed this hotel and would say it's one of the best places I have stayed at over the years, the rooms are great , meals top notch , staff are so helpful and bend over backwards to help you every day. We stayed 5 nights and could have stayed on more! Loved how everything wasn't a drama and so chilled made it a great time for us both. Would def come back again

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Rangersdiv3

Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for sharing with us and with our future guests your comments about your stay at the Mercer Hotel Barcelona

I am very proud to know that our staff "was so helpful and bend over backwards to help you every day" and you "could have stayed on more!".

Thank you again for your kindly comments and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.