“the best!!”

Ranked #4 of 512 Hotels in Barcelona
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“the best!!”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

To put this review in context, I am a bit of a hotel snob. The Mercer is a true 5-star hotel from the hotel itself to the exceptional service to the PERFECT location. Roof top pool & bar is small and classy & has nice views & excellent drinks/snacks. Breakfast was included and had lots of gluten-free options. The hotel is on a very small street in the middle of the Gothic district which is a perfect location to walk to many of the great sights in Barcelona. It is also easy to get to a cab or the subway if you want to go out to the beaches or say to Montjuic. Only negative would be that the high ceilings and stone/stucco walls inside do not dampen sound very well, so you can sometimes hear your neighbors. We stayed in a huge beautiful suite - room 301.

Room Tip: Room 301 was great because has a separate bedroom for the parents and plenty of room in the "de...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Heston L
Francesc H, Director General at Mercer Hotel Barcelona, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Sir,

As General Manager, I want to personally thank you for sharing with us your excellent comments about the Mercer Hotel Barcelona.

I am flattered to hear that our hotel was "the best" for you. I can assure you that all the staff works daily to provide our guests with the best hospitallity services possible. I am glad to know that succeeded with you.

Thank you for your comments!

Francesc Holgado

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I expected a great hotel and everything surpassed our expectations. Staff at the front are very helpful, beatiful room and great location close to many attractions and restaurants.The restaurant is superb I strongly recommend.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Victorina C
Francesc H, Director General at Mercer Hotel Barcelona, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Madam,

As General Manager, I am glad to know that your stay with us was brilliant and "everything surpassed your expectations". This kind of comments encourage us to work daily.

Thank you for your comments!

Warm regards,

Sydney
Reviewed 29 July 2014

What a find! Gorgeous personal hotel right in the heart of the old cIty of Barcelona, the Barri Gotic. The hotel building incorporates part of the original Roman walls, dating back to the 1st century. Only 28 rooms, each with its own hidden treasure, part of the original heritage of the site.
Perfect location, quiet and surrounded by a maze of medieval lanes to wander in and discover the heart of Barcelona.
Staff were amazingly attentive, from doorman (Mathias), concierge, barman in Le Bouchon (tapas bar), and bubbly staff at breakfast each morning. They think of all the little nice touches; complimentary water, juice & soft drinks in your bar fridge replenished everyday, free wifi throughout the entire hotel; fantastic recommendations of restaurants and local businesses (hairdresser Christine 2 mins walk away) and their all round professional but friendly manner whenever we saw them.
A must stay for any visitor to Barcelona who wants an extremely personalised and luxurious stay in a fabulous Mediterranean City.

Room Tip: All great rooms.
5 Thank WAWSydney
Dear Sir / Madam,

I want to personally thank you for sharing with us your excellent stay at the Mercer Hotel Barcelona.

As General Manager, I am flattered to know that your stay with us was "gorgeous" and our staff "were amazingly attentive". Many thanks for your kindly comments!

Warm regards,

Atherton, California
Reviewed 28 July 2014

In the heart of the Gothic quarter; can be hard to find--even for taxi drivers due to narrow streets. But worth the hunt. The old building was gutted. Small hotel. Excellent and attentive service--very helpful staff with restaurant selections and touring possibilities. Rooms are modern and simply furnished--small to moderate in size, but ample unless you spend a lot of time there. small rooftop pool and terrace. No fitness facility but lots of walking opportunities.

Room Tip: Get a deluxe room--they face the inner courtyard. The less expensive rooms face a wall close by.
2 Thank JLHIII
Dear Sir / Madam,

I want to personally thank you for sharing with us your stay at the Mercer Hotel Barcelona.

As General Manager, I am very glad to hear that your stay with us was excellent. Thank you again!

Lismore, Australia
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Mercer hotel, in the heart of the old town of central Barcelona was excellent: great location, very modern, but comfortable design and rooms, fantastic staff. The staff were extremely helpful with our many requests for information, attractions, routes, luggage, car parking and restaurants. The hotel and its people made our stay in Barcelona one of the highlights of our travels in Spain.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Don G
Francesc H, Director General at Mercer Hotel Barcelona, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Sir,

As General Manager of the Mercer Hotel Barcelona, I want to personally thank you for your enthusiastic comments about our hotel and our staff.

I am very proud to hear that the staff of the Mercer Hotel Barcelona were "one of the highlights of our travels in Spain".

Reviewed 25 July 2014

We went to the Mercer Hotel with 4 other friends as a fun gateway week end and a break from the children for 4 days. It was also my husbands' birthday the day we arrived. From the minute we stepped in the hotel, we were greeted by the most friendliest of staff. The hotel smelled beautiful and the cool air was welcomed! We were offered a complimentary glass of cava and because we booked through Mr and Mrs Smith, we were also offered a tapas styled lunch and wine on behalf of Mr and Mrs Smith. It was delicious. We all had booked junior suites and were showed to our rooms. Each one had a balcony and the room were luxurious and stylish. We then went to have a drink on the roof terrace where we were all pleasantly surprised by the size of the pool, we all assumed that it was smaller than it actually was. We had a swim and enjoyed the roof top views, the bar staff were too, extremely friendly. It was paradise and when we thought it couldn't get any better, on our return to our room, we had a knock on the door and we handed a bottle of Cava and some sweet treats on the house for my husbands birthday. We hadn't told them but they had noticed from his passport, such attention to its customers. This hotel continued to impress us throughout our stay, the breakfast was table served and delicious, the bed and bedding was the most comfortable bedding we had ever slept in..Honestly, I had never in my life slept so well. The hotel is stylish and impressive in its décor, everything is luxurious and comfortable. The staff team is amazing and helpful. Nothing can be faulted! Outstanding place, I will tell the whole world about the Mercer and will never stay anywhere else in Barcelona!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank magalie_billaud
Dear Madam,

Thank you so much for your enthusiastic explication about your stay at the Mercer Hotel Barcelona.

As General Manager of the Mercer Hotel Barcelona, I am very proud to hear that your stay with us was brilliant. All the Staff of the Mercer Hotel Barcelona works to provide our guests with the best memorable stay possible. I am glad to know that succeeded with you.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 25 July 2014

My wife and I stayed here three nights. I loved the clever design which incorporated sections of the old roman walls into the building. Our room was chic and comfortable. One problem was that it overlooked the street below which meant we did here some noise at night time. The pool area on the top floor was excellent. The pool was shallow and of modest size but it allowed you to cool off. We ordered food from the rooftop bar but it was expensive and the club sandwich was not a club sandwich but four tasteless dollops of pastry with some side lettuce for 18 euros. Their French fries were great. We found the price they wanted for breakfast was way to expensive at over 30 euros per person. Instead we e found tapas bars within 150 metres that served fresh orange juice, delicious coffee and croissants. The hotel was a 20 minute walk from the beach and the hotel helpfully provided towels and a beach carry bag. The staff at the hotel were outstanding. They were always pleasant, helpful and courteous while allowing themselves to relax and enjoy a laugh with you. The location was excellent, with quality restaurants all around and interesting sights. I would recommend this hotel to others. Unrelated to the hotel, I would like to mention a problem that we had with World Airport Transfers who I paid in advance to meet us at Barcelona airport and drive us to the hotel. Their representative, Splash, did not show and WAT is not providing a refund. Be warned fellow travellers!

Room Tip: Our room overlooking the street was a bit noisy at night. I would recommend a room overlooking the c...
2 Thank TheWhistler15
Francesc H, Director General at Mercer Hotel Barcelona, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Sir,

Thank you for sharing with us your comments about our hotel.

As General Manager of the Mercer Hotel Barcelona, I am glad to know that your stay with us was very good. I take note about your comments, they help us to improve our services and the relations with our guests. Thank you again!