“Overpriced, dirty, small, narrow rooms, rude staff, no kitchen”

Generator Hostel Barcelona
Ottawa, Canada
“Overpriced, dirty, small, narrow rooms, rude staff, no kitchen”
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

I unfortunately did not enjoy my stay at Generator Barcelona. The first issue with the hostel is there is NO kitchen. This is the only hostel I have been to without a kitchen for guests to use - that makes your vacation Much more expensive if you are budget travelling. When I asked the front desk about if there was a kitchen, I received attitude back as he arrogantly stated "we are a 800 person hostel, do you really think we would have a kitchen for all of you? Maybe if we were one of those smaller 100 person hostels we would". I thought to myself that yes, you'd have a kitchen 8 times bigger than "those smaller ones" as a nice amenity.

Next, the rooms were dirty. There were crumbs, hair, and lint balls all over the floor of the room. It is evident Generator does not care to vacuum their rooms.

Also, the rooms are VERY crammed. The 8 bed dorm is super narrow - two people cannot fit side by side. The lockers are also poorly set up making it impossible to access the things you put in first.

Lastly, the staff were really unorganized. When we checked in, we went to our rooms to find other guests bags on our beds and our sheets were dirty. Turns out we were given the wrong beds.

The only positive thing I can say about this place is the lounge area is very nice and well decorated. Other than that I would not recommend Generator Barcelona to anyone. I was booked for 3 nights and after my experience on the first day, I was told it was too late to cancel the 2nd night. We cancelled the 3rd night.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank uprootingourlives

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 7 June 2014

The Generator was the first time I had stayed in a hostel and I was very happy with my experience, they decor is very cool. I stayed in a 6 bed mixed dorm and thought they were very clean and tidy. I liked that there are extra showers on my floor as well as the ensuite, so never had to wait for a shower. It is handy that they provide breakfast, but it is very average and I'd recommend spending that extra money for breakfast somewhere else if you can be bothered. I would definitely recommend this hostel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 June 2014

On arrival I recieved a warm welcome, big smiles and some information about the hostel. I stayed in a 6 bed dorm. The room was tidy, clean and faced the main street (which I liked). The bunk beds are comfortable and fitted with a little desk and personal light. The hostel has a really good atmosphere, and many ways someone can entertain themselves if they choose to stay inside. The cool design of the hostel reflects the cool city which it is situated in. I will be returning here whenever I'm in Barcelona. Had a great stay.

Room Tip: Any room is agood room.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

I was at general for 4days, it was great! I had a 6doorm with 5Mexican guys. Realy fun!
The staff was helpfull and nice! Recomend it!!
It was a short way to walk to the metro. And it had some good resturants in the naborhood.
The drinks and food was cheep and good ;)

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We had a private room on the 7th floor, with a big terrace overlooking the Sagrada Familia. It made me feel sorry we were only staying for one night. The interior design is modern and delightfully minimalistic, it really shines in that respect. Very quiet, very clean. The bathroom was nice too, but the terrace really took the cake.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Amazing hostel. Had the best time. Fantastic clean room, great atmosphere. Great shower - no complaints. Stayed just before primervera sound, however never had trouble with noise. Just met some really lovely people.
Was really not expecting the generator hostel to be as good as it was, I am definitely going back. ASAP.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed in a 8-bed mixed dorm with an ensuite. The hostel is very clean and the decor is very chic and modern :) They are located just 5 minutes away from Diagonal, which is a good area away from the crowds in the central, and it is just a 15 minute walk to main streets like Passeig de Gracia and 25 minutes to Catalunya. The staff are all very friendly and helpful with directions and tips on what to do. Guests are usually in their 20s, but we also saw big groups of teenagers that perhaps visited as a school trip, and also older travellers. The hostel is quite hip and happening with activities even at night and also since Barcelona is a party city, do expect fellow roommates to be back late. There are tapas restaurants and xocolata and xurros cafe just around the corner as well :) Definitely recommend this hostel for your stay in Barcelona!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple