“Fantastic family experience!”
Review of Cuina Canela Fina

Cuina Canela Fina
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Canela Fina is an authentic family style kitchen located in Barcelona’s Gothic district. Canela Fina offers cooking classes in Barcelona. It offers a variety of food related services and it is managed by Anna and Nuria, who love gastronomy and love to make people feel like home. Anna is a terrific Catalan cook, runs home-style cooking classes in which she teaches private groups how to cook classic Spanish and Catalan recipes. After the classes, you will enjoy what you have cooked in a private dining room with wine included. Canela Fina is flexible to offering other types of services: private parties, wine tasting, team-building activities, etc. Classes are in Catalan, Spanish or English.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We spent a wonderful morning/early afternoon with Nuria and Anna in their beautiful space. Nuria picked us up at our hotel and walked us to the Santa Caterina market. The four of us (including our 11 and 13 yr old) really enjoyed seeing the market, picking out some of the food we would prepare and learning about how to choose the freshest seafood, meat, produce, etc. After touring the market, we walked to Anna's studio and proceeded to cook a wonderful meal of grilled vegetables, croquettes, Spanish omelettes, Catalan Creme and some other delicious local foods. We then sat down for a delicious lunch in their beautiful space. This was a wonderful family experience and provided for a very memorable afternoon in Barcelona! We would highly recommend!

All reviews
in 4 reviews
"itinerary"
"activity"

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This is a real treat and something you should do while in Barcelona. We were met at our hotel by Nuria and walked to the class. First we stopped by the market and received an excellent education on all the different types of produce. We learned how to choose fresh fish. Looked at all the different fruits and vegetables with an explanation of how to use each one. This was a local market where could see residents lined up and buying food. Much different than your typical supermarket. We then were taken to the class where we met Anna, the owner/chef. She taught us how to prepare and make our meal. We had a wonderful conversation about the various ingredients, preparation, cooking and presentation. Everything was well put together and they helped while you learned. The experience was tailored to our level of expertise. We really enjoyed everything especially the Spanish omelet. When finished Nuria gave us a tour of the neighborhood, left us instructions to get back to our hotel. This was more than just enjoying cooking, but a total immersion into culture. Cannot say enough great things about this experience.

Reviewed 22 May 2018

When in Barcelona, you absolutely must take the time to have the art of tapas making taught to you by Anna and her daughter Nuria. We could not be more pleased by their warmth and knowledge of Catalan cuisine. You will come away from the class with a better understanding of Spanish cooking, improved cooking skills and a full stomach from the meal you just cooked and ate. This is a must try experience!

Reviewed 24 April 2018

Canela Fina is simply the best cooking school in Barcelona. I look for cooking experiences that go beyond social entertainment with a quick dip into culture. I found it here. I had a master class in Catalan cuisine with Anna and Nuria, the mother and daughter team behind Canela Fina. I am a retired cooking teacher with years of experience in restaurants and kitchen. I arranged for a private cooking class with Anna and Nuria followed by lunch with my 3 travel companions. The entire experience was perfect. When I arrived they greeted me warmly and the mise en place covered the whole cooking surface. During the 3 hours of cooking I learned how to make the best Sofrito, fish and meat stocks, and Romesco. With these things you can begin to understand Catalan cuisine. The class began with creating our dessert (Crema Catalana), and our starter (Strawberry Gazpacho). In between we made escalivada (for Canalone with Tuna), escabeche (with Pickled Blue Fish), Monkfish with Artichokes, Squid with Pork Jowl, and Beef with Mushrooms and Romesco. Yes, we prepared all that! Throughout I asked many questions and was given expert information. When my friends showed up they were treated to as fine a meal as we could get in a Michelin starred restaurant. They oohed and ahhed their way through the meal which was exquisitely plated and paired with wine. At the end we all branded our own crema catalana and then sadly took our leave. I recommend this school for trained chefs, traveling families, foodies of all kinds, and for those who just want to experience the warmth, generosity, and beauty of Catalan culture.

See more reviews
Reviewed 8 April 2018

We went on an extended family vacation, with family members ranging in ages from 5 to 90 (there were nine of us) so it was hard to find group activities that suited that age range with people of diverse interests. This was the one activity we did together that everyone loved. The hosts, a mother/daughter team of chefs, were knowledgeable, friendly, entertaining, accommodating, and a joy to spend the morning/early afternoon with learning and cooking great authentic Spanish dishes. The meal we cooked at the cooking class was the best meal I ate while in Spain, and they even taught us how to shop for the freshest possible fish and vegetables. We all loved that the class was hands on, so even the younger kids could actively get involved with preparing/cooking the meals. I give this class my highest recommendation.

CuinaCanelaFina, Propietario at Cuina Canela Fina, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2018

Dear Mrs,

Thank you very much for your review. It was a great pleasure to meet your lovely family in Canela Fina!

I am pleased that you enjoyed both the market visit and the cooking workshop.

We hope to see you again in the future.

Best regards,