“Very Nice Hostel”

St Christopher's Inn Barcelona
Reviewed 30 July 2014

This being only the second hostel I've stayed at ever, I had a good experience. The location was perfect, close by all the great sights and the metro. The hostel itself was clean and the employees were nice and helpful. I stayed in an 8 bed female room and didn't have a problem with noise or disturbance. There was an odd smell in the shower room for some reason. The continental breakfast wasn't bad, the milk was rather warmer than is expected though. The bar was nice and food was good. Beautiful common areas. I had a great time here!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 29 July 2014

This was my first time traveling alone in Europe (I'm from NYC). The hostel was clean and the rooms were comfortable. I spent time in the communal areas and everyone was very nice but most people here do travel in groups (because it is a bigger hostel chain). However, I found it easy to talk to people and join groups because of the communal areas and the atmosphere of the place.

I ran into transportation problems as I was leaving because my flight had been cancelled but the front desk helped me find a way to my new location and even got me an extra night in my same bed! I am so happy I stayed here and didn't experience any issues.

Finally, this location is unbelievable good I didn't have a phones or navigation and could always find myself back to this central location. The bus and subway are 100 yards away but you can absolutely walk everywhere in the city from here because I did.

Room Tip: I chose a 8 bed girls room and everyone was quite and respectful but most girls went to bed before m...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed at this hostel for 4 nights. The location was great for someone like myself who wanted to explore the culture of the city. The bedrooms were comfortable and clean. However, the communal areas stunk of sewage. The bathroom areas also needed to be cleaned more frequently. I washed twice a day but never felt clean due to the shower consisting of a trickle of water, and the wash areas having another bad smell.
The staff at this hostel demonstrated customer service at it's worst! The odd person is friendly and helpful, but most are beyond rude. No matter what time of day you walk past the Reception desk, there is always a huge queue. If you need to check in, rent a towel, ask a question etc. be prepared to wait a very long time. Sometimes, there would be 2 staff members sat at Reception, but only one would be actively getting the queue down while the other either sat there doing nothing or shuffling paperwork from one hand to the other.
Thirdly, the noise level is quite high. I am a good sleeper and did manage get some sleep, but I was woken up at all hours by people banging doors and switching on lights.

Room Tip: Take ear plugs and a nose plug
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The rooms are clean but you can hear everything from communal hallways and they smelt like rotting sewage. Don't expect any sleep here either. The bar and courtyard are nice but all outside areas are closed after 9pm. They only have 1 washer and 1 dryer for the entire 5 floors worth of people which was ridiculous (not to mention they broke and flooded on our 2nd day). The showers have buttons that you have to press every 10 seconds to continue water flow and they lack complete privacy. The power sockets in the room stopped working and on 2 occasions over a couple of days multiple people from our room (myself included) asked if someone was able to fix them to which the response we received was along the lines of 'what do you want me to do about it?' or 'we'll do it later'. There was one really nice staff member but other than thatthe rest of them treated us like we were nuisances and gave poor directions or apathetic advice.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

Just came back from a weekend in Barcelona. What a great hostel.

The facilities are really good, everything was well maintained. No problem with anything there.

Staff were really friendly and there is a fantastic atmosphere downstairs in the bar / outdoor patio area.

Would definitely recommend this as the prefect base for Barcelona!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

This was the final leg of our tour, and it was the most expensive hostel out of the four we were staying in so we were expecting great things, plus the reviews from trip advisor and from other travellers we met meant we were really looking forward to staying here. Unfortunately the hostel didn't really live up to the reviews, and we felt it was far too overpriced for what it was. Firstly there was no kitchen as such, 3 microwaves in a line made it impossible to make any kind of meal in the hostel so you had to eat out/ buy microwave meals, and the 'kitchen' was lacking in cutlery, and dishes. The rooms were fine and the curtains on the beds were a nice addition because you weren't disturbed by people leaving or arriving throughout the night, however there was an automatic light that switched on every time the door opened so if you were on the top bunk you would immediately be woken by this light coming on. The showers and toilets were fine, basically like the toilets and showers in the gym when you were at school. The staff were okay, three of the male staff working on the front desk were lovely, really friendly and helpful, but the others looked pretty pissed off for the majority of the time we were there, and seemed reluctant to answer questions. The included breakfast was a surprise when we arrived, but we ended up eating at La Boqueria as it was so cheap and much tastier than what was on offer. Also the fact you had to pay to use the computers was a bit annoying...! It is a good hostel in terms of location, right on Plaça Catalunya and next to Las Ramblas, but overall I don't think we would recommend it or come back, there seem to be cheaper options with exactly the same facilities available, and it was incomparable to the other hostels we stayed in in Spain, which were pretty amazing!

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

I previously stayed at the St. Christopher's in Paris and was very impressed. Sadly, the Barcelona location does not compare.

Staff is rude and unfriendly. Wifi does not work in rooms. Community showers require you to press a button every 20 seconds for more water.

Check out is at 11 and check in is at 2. However, at 10 a new person came into my room and was assigned to my bed. I had to quickly pack and leave as a cleaning lady changes the sheets I had just woken up in.

The location is good, right by a mall and metro stops. The bar downstairs does not serve very good food, but their staff is much more friendly than the front desk.

Stayed: June 2014