“Beautiful decor, nice atmosphere, good music, great food and lovely service.”
Review of Bench restaurant - CLOSED

Bench restaurant
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Eixample
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Modern decor, with perfect music for a restaurant. They have many types of menu. Excellent food, very friendly service.

1  Thank Carlos B

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We are staying at the 1898 in Las Ramblas - and it is hard to get a good meal at a reasonable price in the immediate vicinity of Las Ramblas. So we booked a table on the Spanish website Restalo.es - who incidentally gave us a 50% discount on the à la Carte menu. The restaurant was a €4.50 cab ride from Las Ramblas - or maybe 20 minutes walk. The cab driver needed a shower at least a week ago.

The food started well and got better. Croquetas are a real test of cooking skill - because they are deceptively simple (try making a breaded small log of a semi liquid béchamel.) Bench's were outstanding - so good that we delayed our mains for another round - we eat them inter alia with Aoili because that is the way they come with our favourite tapas in my wife's home town in Spain - and Bench's aoili is also first rate. All clearly made fresh in house. The salad they brought my wife was also very good.

I then had the duck which was perfectly cooked - she had hake (merluz) which was also very well cooked. Finally desert - the the chocolate bombettas are, I am certain, being denounced somewhere as the work of the devil - had there been more I would have eaten more, and more, and more. This is a very very good restaurant.

A quick comment about Tripadvisor reviews - many posters don't have a clue about food. A friend of ours is a top chef in the US and some nincompoop published a review of her restaurant, announcing their credentials as a serious food critic (along with wife) and then ranted about odd tasting baby potatoes - its not surprising they were 'odd' as potatoes, since they were in fact baby turnips!

1  Thank Mack64
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Very interesting space. Breakfast came with the room. Very nice staff taking good care of their guests

Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

If you're looking for a cool place to go on a Friday night then Bench is hard to beat.

The service is amazing, great atmosphere and very attentive (and attractive!) staff! Not all the food was to my taste but the folks I was with raved about the dishes I couldn't eat.

I would definitely go again

1  Thank Steven M
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Looks great from the outside, but a disapponting experience. Main problem was that staff did not seem very interested in serving us although the restaurant was only half full. Food was OK but not great, a lot better food nearby at half the price. I'd recommend a drink at the bar on the roof of the hotel, but wouldn't come back here