“Excellent - some important advice”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Espai Kru

Espai Kru
Reserve with
Espai Kru is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #232 of 9,411 Restaurants in Barcelona
Price range: US$65 - US$87
Cuisines: Japanese, Seafood, Mediterranean, Spanish, Contemporary, Healthy
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Montjuic
Description: The upstairs of Rias de Galicia becomes a "sea" of little dishes, more casual, more fun, more imaginative, and more economical. A modern setting, with a kitchen bar where chefs prepare many dishes in front of customers. Two Rías in one. The menu has two parts. The main one based on elaborations without fire, is an anthem to the "product". And a second one where we discover the fire.
UK
“Excellent - some important advice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

We decided to eat here for Saturday lunch, we were not disappointed.

This place understands the concept of quality, fresh food. They have a huge tank on the ground floor with live lobster, crab and sea fish such as red mullet.

My advice is (and make sure you are hungry) to go for the taster menu. At €60 it is excellent value!

It is reasonable considering the quality and quantity of food.

Service is fantastic, good pace not quick. This is a place you allow well over an hour for. Don't come here for a quick, cheap bite, there are loss of places in Barcelona for that.

Will come back.

2 Thank adlr

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Yummy dishes!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

We arrived early Spanish time (9ish) and it was still quite calm, but the fruity cocktail aperitifs quickly helped us forget that. My husband had been here before and he had some great suggestions; the oysters with fish eggs, the scallops in soy sauce (my short description is not doing these two dishes justice!), the sashimi, the lobster salad (actually an entire lobster served in it's shell marinated with mango, avocado, mint oil and mayonnaise of its own juice) and the whole fried Tarbot (fried so thin you can eat the spine), we're just delicious... I had expected a bit more atmosphere, but it is clear the quality of the food is prioritized above all and I must admit it is appreciated! If I say I'd take my parents here does that say enough?

“Great food, great service and an amazing cheese board with super Rioja”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

Excellent food of the sea if rather pricey - my wife absolutely loved it, a special restaurant indeed she said as we left - excellent and friendly service - try the cheese if you have room - I had 4 x cheeses with a glass of Rioja - excellent !

• Visited March 2014
Houston, Texas
“Don’t miss this delicious experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

We originally went to Espai Kru almost by accident. It was our last night in Barcelona and we’d had reservations for another of their sister restaurants, but our group grew and they couldn’t accommodate us, so we changed to Espai Kru to fit our group of five business diners. It turns out that it was a wonderful accident!
The dining room is upstairs and is modern, serene and comfortable. Our waiter was Paco, and he was assisted by Anna. Both were friendly, efficient and provided excellent service. They had so many good looking things on the menu that we turned it over to Paco to make recommendations, and boy did he recommend some amazing food! We ate each dish in turn, savoring the flavors, commenting on the tastes, experimenting with the spices and sauces, and then we asked Paco for more. Everything that they offered was beautiful, fresh and delicious and we ate it all! Below is a list of what we had with comments on each, but before I get to that I want you to understand who I was dining with. We are all seasoned veteran business travelers who have traveled the world and eaten incredible meals in a variety of countries. And every single one of us ranked this as one of the best meals of their lives.

Here is how we dined!
• Iberian ham with tomato bread – this is the quintessential tapas in Barcelona and their version was perfect!
• Smoked Anchovies – truthfully my least favorite dish, but my companions loved them. The presentation was beautiful – delivered in a glass dome full of smoke. I wanted to love them just for that, but I think anchovies just aren’t my favorite. They weren’t bad, just not the one I’d ask for again.
With these early dishes we enjoyed a lovely lighter red wine – biu de Sort.
• Squid – was served sashimi-style with the Bream and Toro and the squid simply melted in your mouth, with a slight buttery taste. It was so lovely!
• Bream – was delicate and flavorful.
• Toro Tuna – was SO good and full of flavor. Just delicious!
• Red mullet ceviche – the ceviche was so fresh and clear. It was light and refreshing.
As we moved into heartier dishes we switched wines to a fuller, wonderful red - Paisajes
• Beef tartar – this tartar was creamy, and delicious. One of my favorites.
• Tomato tartar – this one truly surprised me. Paco insited we try it and it was amazing. Creamy and flavorful like the beef, but with the slight extra zing of fresh tomatoes. I might have even it liked it better than the beef tartar!
• Fried Turbo – the entire fish was fried with the fish and the bones separate. You could eat little delicate pieces of the turbo, then break off a piece of the bones like a chip. It was so good!
• Wagyu – first it’s Wagyu, which you expect to be delicious, but this was excellent.. It came thinly sliced in bite-sized pieces that laid atop a giant bone. They provided a sizzling hot mini-skillet and tongs. We’d pick up a piece of Wagyu, place it in the pan and let it sizzle for a couple second before pulling it off, and popping them in our mouths. They provided some delicious spices and sauces to season it too, but it was wonderful on it’s own.
• Oysters with salmon roe – raw oysters with beautiful pink roe, and lovely liquor – so delicious
• Seabass with jalapeno peppers – fresh and only slightly spicy. Extremely good.
• Pork ribs – these were so delectable, fall off the bone, spices but full of the delicious taste of the pork. Absolutely a favorite.

Then we moved onto Dessert:
• Soft goat cheese with sugar, honey and Fig jam – so creamy and sweet and wonderful
• Paco Roigs band – chocolate heaven
• Brioche with Almond Carmel Cream and a brulee topping – I love crème brulee and the flavors of this made it one of my favorites
• Licorice meringue with lemon creme and pomegranate topping – I don’t care for licorice and was a bit afraid to try these because I’d had so many delicious flavors I’d loved and I didn’t want to end on an off note, but these meringues were so good – light, fluffy and the lemon and pomegranate were perfect
• Passion fruit and lemon grass vodka – just when we thought we were done, Paco and Anna brought us this beautiful drink. The golden-orange color on mangos, but the refreshing and bright flavors of passion fruit and lemon grass. What a wonderful end to an amazing meal.

Again, our sincere thanks go to Paco who guided us through this incredible experience! Don’t miss out on Espai Kru if you’re in Barcelona!

• Visited December 2013
3 Thank HoustonBell
Moscow, Russia
“Great sashimi, but this is not a Japanese restaurant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

Nice, modern and cosy interior. Went here craving for a nice lobster. Started with excellent salmon sashimi (they call it kru here) -- very good, tasty, with some salmon eggs. Followed by tuna kru -- somewhat fatty, but also very nice, fresh and tasty.

Then had their blue lobster - they brought it to me alive, looking very nice. However, when they served it, it was overcooked and not tasty at all, also a little over salted. I would probably return here for the sashimi, but definitely would not want to order any normal fish.

Wine list was reasonably long, but difficult to understand, so I went for what they recommend as table wine -- ok, but then changed the wine for a more mineralized version which I had a day before in another restaurant.

Service was good.