“Absolutely brilliant”

Cuisines: American, European, Fusion
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

We visited this place last month on our visit to Barcelona. We absolutely loved it and ate here on 2/5 days we were here. I would definitely recommend both the Argentina beef and the steak. Also for pudding the highlight has to be caramel ice cream! Have to mention that service was very good and friendly!

Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

First lets take a moment and talk about the two waitress' Maria and Paulina absolutely stunning and friendly there are bubbly and really friendly make you feel at home straight away, definitely the 2 hottest waitress' in Barcelona!
Now let's talk about the food,

I had the "Confited Cod" which was the best cod I've ever tried, we had a assorted choice of tapas which was amazing the provolone and the calamari are a must!

The wine choice is amazing we recommend the Raul Calvo, which is a amazing wine!

It is so good than you will want to go back again, we have booked another night in the place on our last night!

All in all a very good night with amazing food and waitress to die for

Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

I got one for this, AWESOME . Food is class, same for the staff.. It's a hidden treasure. Jamie Olivier would be impressed:) great experiance, and I'm norwegian:)

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Only have one word to describe this place. Amazing. Take no note of the negative comment earlier, this place is a gem. Simply amazing. Would go time and time again. Staff and chef are amazing. Top notch.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Having just got back from this place the first thing we've had to do is double check it's the same as all the other TA reviews, apparently it is...

having had 3 courses each I can honestly say that no part of any dish was particularly impressive. the food was 'average' but I've had to go with a 'poor' rating as they were so badly executed.

we both had marinated (smoked) salmon for starter. it was basically sliced smoked salmon on top of a red pepper with a dollop of cream cheese on the side. it was nice, nothing special and if I'm being picky would question why anyone would put smoked salmon with a cooked red pepper but what do I know?

the main courses are where we had some trouble. my other half had tuna, descried as undercooked. this may have been lost in translation of the menu but we kind of expected a tuna steak or sliced tuna that was raw in the middle. what we got was EXACTLY the same as the starter but substitute salmon for tuna, then swap cream cheese for wasabi. on a bed of cooked red pepper just as the starter was. when the bill came we couldn't quite believe that the main course was literally double the price as the starter for virtually the same thing. I did recommend to the waitress that if anyone orders both dishes in future she warn people how similar they are (and yes you may be thinking what I thought at the time - why order such similar dishes in the first place....don't ask!) it just amazes me that a restaurant can have virtually identical dishes as a starter and then a main.

anyway, I had the lamb cheek as it was a special and from experience you usually get a well executed dish from the specials board. I'm afraid not. it basically the equivalent of 2 chunks of braising steak we get in the UK but lamb rather than beef. it wasn't bad, just bang average and not a lot of it. nothing to accompany it like roast veg or mash. just 2 chunks in a pot with some type of gravy. another review on here described this dish as 'melt in your mouth'. really? we must have gone in on a bad night.

onto desserts, I had gin and tonic 'handmade ice cream' and the other half had apple pie. again, not a good menu description as the ice cream was in fact a sorbet, one small scoop of. the apple pie was a bit of a disaster - it looked cute when it came out in a swanky little pot but went wrong when we took the lid off. literally half full of cream despite no mention of cream on the menu and just tasted 'meh' according to the other half.

so we were left very confused having had several dishes with ingredients that didn't seem to work well. I couldn't see any skill whatsoever in the dishes. poor execution. I had to triple check when I saw another review talk about this chef as one of the 'up and coming chefs of Catalonia' or something to that effect. did we get the guy that was covering for the real chef?

drinks wise, we were disappointed to sit down and find out they don't do sangria. the house red was recommended to us but although not bad by any stretch, wasn't to our taste. it was very dry whereas we like the fruity vibrant type. if you don't like dry wine I'd strongly recommend avoiding the house red.

so I'm sorry to be leaving them their first bad review. it's very rare we feel let down by our fellow TA'ers but on this occasion we do.

let me end this review by pointing out some positives though. our waitress was lovely and very good. service with a smile is always nice and I actually feel bad writing this review having been served by such a pleasant young lady.

the other positive is the price of the food was very reasonable. seemingly unlike the rest of Barcelona there is no cover OR service charge, so despite the food we left what we would consider a generous tip. we had 3 courses each, a glass of wine each and a soft drink each and the bill came to just 56 euros. maybe we caught them on a bad day? if so and they can produce food like other reviews suggest it would be excellent value for money, just not on this occasion.

RestaurantMine, Owner at MinE, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear Ben,

I’m sorry you had a bad experience. My main priority is, and has always been, that people enjoy our food in a casual and relaxed atmosphere, which in turn creates a good memory of their time spent in the establishment.

I would like to take this opportunity to address some of the grievances you brought up in your review:

-The starters were freshly marinated salmon, not smoked. We marinate the raw, fresh salmon ourselves with citrus and aromatic herbs. The cooked red pepper that accompanied the dish is, in fact, a staple in the Catalan cuisine commonly known as “escalivada”. It is a cooking technique to smoke and grill vegetables.

-The “raw” tuna steak was fresh red tuna prepared a la Tataki, a cooking technique that allows for the tuna to remain raw inside but cooked on the outside, and is a dish served cold. The cheese cream was actually a soft wasabi cream, especially prepared to encourage people to taste the - sometimes overwhelming for some - wasabi.

-We do not have lamb on the menu. What you thought was lamb was actually beef cheeks that we deboned, to make them more appetizing. In addition, the dish was not braised. The meat was served with roasted eggplant presented as a mousse, a potato cream called “Parmentier” and a sauce deriving from the reduction of the cooking broth.

-Again, you mention an item was not on our menu – this time it is sangria. While we do not offer sangria we do, however, have an excellent variety of over 30 different wines from various parts of the Catalan area, from Spain and even from the South of France. Moreover, we encourage people to choose and try one, and if they do not like it they are more than welcome to choose another one!

Finally, the prices you state you were surprised to see how much some menu items cost. I can’t understand your disbelief, seeing as all our prices are there, on the menu, for anyone to see. Some might appear high, but our prices reflect the fact that we always aim for the best quality dishes that we can obtain from the top quality products we choose to cook, products such as fresh red tuna from the daily market.

We always try to make people feel comfortable. We do not want to be more than we are... if then you had brought to our attention that you were not satisfied with your meal we would have suggested for you not to pay, as is the philosophy of the MinE.