“great location BUT it ends there”

Hotel Catalonia Passeig de Gracia
Ranked #39 of 512 Hotels in Barcelona
GreenLeadersSilver level
California
“great location BUT it ends there”
Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

Pros:
great location - centrally located and walking distance to la boqueria and many of BCN main attractions

Cons:
cleanliness - Every night before bed, I drink emergenC and fiber supplements, which leave traces of either a strong citrus scent and fiber particles. Each night, I noticed that the mugs/cups I had previously used still had small particles from the powders and smelled of citrus. I expected that glassware would be replaced with a fresh/clean set, especially because it was obvious that they had been used. Little details like this make wonder what other corners are being cut.

Staff - not helpful. We arrived late in the evening after flying 13+hrs and did not make dinner plans (with flight delays, its impossible to know when you'll actually arrive). We asked for a restaurant recommendation and specified our requirements; we were sent to a tourist trap.

On another occasion, we asked for a taxi and the person at the front desk said that we should take the metro. We were not asking for transportation advice or suggestions...

Amenities - soap and shower gel were not replaced frequently enough. Provided towels were scarce.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Stella R
Rafael T, Gerente at Hotel Catalonia Passeig de Gracia, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your comments. I regret much that you live certain experiences in our hotel because nothing is further from our goal. Do not hesitate to call us for future visits and we will be happy to assist you again.
Kind regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Hotel is located close to main attractions (5 min to Placa Catalunya, 7 min to Rambla, shops 1 min, Gaudi streets 10 -15 min) in very nice area. Beautiful design hotel with good breakfast. Best choice for money and quality!! Definitely stay there again. We enjoy our weekend there, the staff was very helpful. Also a hotel has a swimming pool, but we didn't swim because of cold weather, but I am sure in hot summer months swimming pool area is very comfortable.
Recommendation for hotel add to room facilities slippers, toothpaste, toothbrushes.

Room Tip: hotel has two types of rooms the one with windows to the street - you get very good view, others wit...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Agile13
Rafael T, Gerente at Hotel Catalonia Passeig de Gracia, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your nice comments about our hotel, it is helps us to improve our service.
Madrid
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I got a good offer thru a booking site and tried this recently renovated hotel downtown in Barcelona. Service was very friendly and efficient, rooms good in size and very new and clean. Only problem was that you couls feel each underground train passing every three minutes or so and I was in a 4th floor!
Breakfast was quite good

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Rafael T, Gerente at Hotel Catalonia Passeig de Gracia, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for the time you spent written your comments about our hotel, it is helps us to improve our service.
IRELAND
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Room was very clean with good facilities; bed was very comfortable and quiet which meant a good night's sleep.
While we didn't use the pool area, it looked excellent and later in the year you could imagine it being popular.
Staff on reception very helpful if you needed directions etc.

2 Thank IrelandAmigos
Rafael T, Gerente at Hotel Catalonia Passeig de Gracia, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your nice comments about our hotel,it is helps us to improve our service.
I am very happy to hear that your stayed with us was fine.
If your will come back to Barcelona, please do not heasite to contact with me.
Paris
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Was there with husband but had to work and this hotel was great for both. Good quality wi-fi, spacious rooms that were new, impeccably clean, well decorated and very comfortable. No bathtub, but totally compensated by the impressive Italian shower. Terrace in most of the rooms for those who smoke or just want to have a coffee outside.

Ultra-friendly service that manages to be very present yet easy going. Very pleasant common areas, I will be coming back here and would recommend it to anyone. Families, business travellers and it's even great for couples as there's a welcome cocktail, good room service and late check out options.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony giving on to the street. Don't worry about noise, the windows are...
4 Thank Annie83Paris
Rafael T, Gerente at Hotel Catalonia Passeig de Gracia, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for the time you spend written your nice comments about our hotel, it is helps us to improve our service.
Chennai
Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

It was a memorable stay in this hotel. When it was freezing outside, the hotel was warm which clearly means that the care for their customers. Good rooms with clean water. Wonderful stay and a great place in Barcelona.

Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Frankclean
Rafael T, Gerente at Hotel Catalonia Passeig de Gracia, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 6 January 2014

My wife and I just returned from an amazing trip to Spain. We had a wonderful time in Barcelona, and all of the positive review that I read about this hotel were accurate. Great location, new clean rooms, etc. HOWEVER, during our stay, someone robbed my wife's sunglasses (very nice, designer sunglasses) from our room. This is not one of those instances where we may have misplaced them, or lost them outside the hotel. No. The reason we know this is because, we had an actual conversation about the sunglasses and possible theft before leaving the room. We had already stored all of our valuables in the safe and closed the safe. On the way out, my wife decided she was going to use my sunglasses that day and placed her sunglasses on the table. We then had a conversation, "do you think it's safe to leave these here, or should we put them in the safe?"... "I am sure they will be fine there, just leave them." When we returned that afternoon from a day of sight seeing, they were gone. I reported the incident to the front desk immediately. Because it was evening, I could not speak to the manager until the morning. They came and looked around our room to make sure they hadn't falled under the bed or something, and their response was basically, "we don't know how this could have happened, but we will give you free breakfast." To us, this was not an adequate response to the situation. I don't know if the cleaning staff took them, or if someone broke in. We were not there. All we know for sure, is that we left them on the table, and when we returned, they were gone. In a situation like this, I think management should do more than just give you a free breakfast at a no-name, in-house restaurant in the hotel (they should have at least provided one night of our stay as complimentary, or something to that effect).

This was incredibly disappointing, because our trip (and our stay here) were otherwise great.

7 Thank MM040980
Rafael T, Gerente at Hotel Catalonia Passeig de Gracia, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Dear guest,

As we know Thripadvisor is a webside where we all can express and share our own experience and that's what you've done, and I do appreciate that.
In fact, talking abou what happened is that you both spent the day outside the Hotel and once you were back you realized your sunglasses were not there at all, when you repported that the Hotel staff read the door look immediately , and we just found that the only person who got in when you were away was the housekeeper , who was actually in shift in the meanwhile.
A collegue from the front desk checked no just the housekeeper loocker but her truck as well and no guest belonging were there at all.

We are very sorry you and your wife got this wrong image from the Hotel, however I can guarantee we did our best to help you out with this unfortunate situation, but me, as a General Manger trust every single person in my team . We offered you a breakfast as a compensation of you hard time not for any other reason, I'm sorry you were not happy with it.

Thanks again for sharing this, it will make us improve for sure.

Very Best Regards