H10 Urquinaona Plaza
HCC Montblanc(Barcelona)
  • Restaurant
Hotel Ambit Barcelona(Barcelona)
1,312 results
All reviewsplunge poolon arrivalgreat hotelnespresso machinebottle of cavasuperior roomperfect locationwelcome drinkmodern hotelroof terracecity breakla ramblagothic quarterglass doorvisiting barcelonasmall roomwould definitely stay here again
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 November 2013

We stayed at this cute boutique hotel for 2 nights after our European cruise. We arrived very early in the morning of our reservation but the front desk staff (2 ladies with the same name that unfortunately I cannot remember) were very helpful and we were able to leave our luggage and leave to tour the area. This helpful staff made efforts to have our room ready quickly. It was a nice surprise that we were upgraded to a street view room, very clean and a great bed. A small detail that we are not used to is that the bathroom doors had no lock. Also, the shower had those half crystal doors and even though we tried not to wet the floor when taking a bath, it was impossible, but I think this is the European general bathroom style. The breakfast was huge but the coffee tasted "different". The location is perfect, close to everything and away from the city noise.

Room Tip: Great value. Will stay here on my next visit to BCN.
1  Thank Maritza M
Reviewed 18 November 2013

This is an old building that has been renovated to a very high standard with modern décor. As soon as I walked in the door I loved it. We were there for 3 nights from 5th Nov 2013.

The staff on the front desk are all brilliant. During our stay we spoke to a male staff member the most (I'm sorry I didn't take down his name as I would like to praise him specifically) and he was so helpful, professional, polite and friendly. First impressions gained from interactions with the front desk staff are so important and this hotel gets it right.

Our room (a superior room no. 513 - I think there are only 6 floors) was amazing. Yes, I was aware of the underground train as I was waking up in the morning, even on the 5th floor, but it didn't bother me that much and it didn't wake my partner. It's an old building in a big city where their underground trains do not run as deep as the London underground. What do people expect?

The room was spotless and housekeeping did a lovely job each day making it look like new. Yes, the shower did overflow slightly on one occasion, after not actually using it that long. Again, this did not bother me and I just used my towel to mop up when I'd finished using it. It is a really nice modern shower cubicle but maybe the drainage might get blocked. I hope this doesn't cause the hotel too many problems.
And yes, the hand washing sink is in the main room......who cares!?
I loved the room, the bed was comfy and the balcony area was great to sit and relax in too.

We also sat upstairs on the roof terrace in the sunshine for an hour or so, which was good too. Unfortunately the November weather wasn't warm enough to sunbathe and get in the little dipping pool, which must be so nice in the summer.

We didn't use the cardio machines but it was good to see that the hotel provided a couple in a little room just off the roof terrace.

As for the breakfast. Amazing. A coffee machine, teas and fruit juices. A fab choice of meats, cheeses, breads, cereals, fruit, yoghurts, fried breakfast items and sweet treats. The staff at breakfast time were great. Polite and friendly. The food was constantly being checked and topped up, even though it wasn't busy when we were there.

We didn't use their dining or bar facilities so I can't comment on that, but my partner did pop to the bar for some ice, and again to collect our complimentary cocktails, and he told me that he had to wait a while until someone came to the bar to bar to serve him. (I don't think it is a bar that has staff just hanging around at all hours of the day in case of a customer. You have to press a bell for service, so a little wait is to be expected.)

What else can I say. We would stay here again and I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone.
We found the location to be perfect for a sightseeing city break. It is situated about 5 minutes walk from the top end of Las Ramblas (not the port end), near a large square called Placa De Catalunya where all the sightseeing buses start/stop. Barcelona is a big city and no hotel is going to be perfectly located for all the sights, but this one is close to buses and directly opposite a metro station (Urquinaona). You will have to travel at some point other than on foot. It is about a 30 minute walk away from the port area.

Tip: rather than waste 30+ euros on a cab, or waste time sitting on a bus in traffic, from the airport you simply take the Renfe (overground) train for about 3.70 euros per person for a one way 25 minute trip to Passeig De Gracia station (trains run every 1/2 hour). From there, walk down the main road of Passeig de Gracia, or find your way one street east to Carrer de Pau Claris, and head south for approx. 15-20 minutes until you get to another main road called Ronda de Sant Pere. Turn left and you will find it. Easy, cheap and hassle free.

Room Tip: Our room (no. 513) was great. It is a hotel in the middle of a busy city so I think all rooms will have some degree of street noise, but perhaps the higher floors and rooms facing away from the main road might be better.
1  Thank Smoakley19
Comercial_HUP, Director Comercial at H10 Urquinaona Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Smoakley19,

We would like to thank you for your comments and for your time used in writing them!! We really appreciate it!

Thanks a lot for your nice description!! We are so glad to know you had an excellent stay with us.

Thank you so much once again and best wishes from Barcelona!

Reviewed 16 November 2013

I would have given this review, easily, a 3-4 star rating based on aesthetic alone, but the service was so terrible - I have to reluctantly, but without hesitation, give a one star rating - the second lowest in my TripAdvisor review history (considering I have stayed in very basic, rudimentary, and self-serve lodgings across Europe, Asia and North America).

The pros of this hotel include a very modern, clean, functional design. While previous reviews mentioned an unusable bathroom - I find this layout very modern, straightforward, and European, which means if you're not used to either three, then you're likely to find it confusing or inconvenient. The hotel location is very central (metro, shopping, dining, the bus station is literally outside the entrance), and you are in the heart of Barcelona. The rooms are extremely affordable and I would recommend (if you're a romantic couple) a room with a private balcony facing the garden - as it allows both privacy but views of the hotel terrace/garden.

The cons of the hotel - well, is that you deal with staff with no minds of their own and lack any cognizance, autonomy, or courtesy of what it is like to work in the hotel industry. It's as if they were hired from Burger King, without training, and were told to work F&B and front desk here. At 11pm on a Saturday night, I went to the bar (which had patrons being served and seated) to ask for a coffee - I was told by the gentleman/bartender "just use the machine in your room". OKAY! True, there's a Nespresso machine - but I wanted a (faux pas for Italians) a cappuccino. I merely asked "can cappuccinos be made here?" to which was met with him literally shouting at my partner and I "THE BAR IS CLOSED YOU GET NOTHING".

This, in my industry, would be a fireable offence, to treat a customer with such disdain and to say "no" to them - but I assume he was busy, new and unable to assist with pressing two buttons on a coffee machine, as he was very preoccupied with polishing the cleanest countertops in Western Europe. He had an ambiguous name tag and refused to give us his name, which indicated he either dealt with these type of complaints before, or his poor personality and demeanour was acceptable throughout the hotel and could defy as he pleased.

Overall, based on service, I'd NEVER recommend this hotel to any friend or associate, as to be honest, you'd likely be greeted by terrible staff. However, based on the location, functionality and design - I'd suggest this to itinerary couples or business travellers who'd be too busy to interact with the poor excuse for humans they have staffed.

If you're into design, location and aesthetic, stay here - if you care about service and hospitality standards, then stay at Ohla or the Grand Central. As I said, I'd have rave reviews but the staff of the hotel poisoned my experience here over a EUR3 coffee beverage and, while trivial, I would never, ever stay here again due to it.

4  Thank grumpykins
Comercial_HUP, Director Comercial at H10 Urquinaona Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Dear Grumpykins,

First of all sorry for the delay in answering to you.

Thank you for the time used in writing your comments. All the staff is deeply sorry to hear that your stay was not as expected and we want to apologize for all the inconveniences during your stay.
We are very sorry.

I assure you that we have done everything possible to solve all the issues you have raised, as we are working every day to get a high quality of service.

We sincerely appreciate your collaboration. It helps us to improve day by day.

Once again, sorry for the inconveniences.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

This is a place where you feel special just because of the excellent staff. The decor is modern and the rooms are comfortable. It is centrally located and walking distance from Placa Catalunya where the buses from the airport arrive and depart from. The hotel is centrally located and most attractions in Barcelona are walking distance while the rest are accessible though the metro just across the road. I stayed there with my wife on her birthday and they surprised her with a bottle of sparkling in the evening. The reception staff was very helpful and gave good tips on places to go and restaurants for dinner. The breakfast spread is fantastic. All in all, it was a great experience and we are certainly going to return as we really enjoyed the experience!

Room Tip: a room overlooking the Plaza would be ideal!
1  Thank sahsameer
Comercial_HUP, Director Comercial at H10 Urquinaona Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Dear Sahsameer,

Thank you so much for the time used in writing your comments and your excellent review!!

We are very proud when our guests have a very nice stay with us! It helps us to improve day by day and to keep motivated to provide a high satisfaction to our guests!

Once again thank you so much!!

We look forward to see you soon!

Kind regards from Barcelona.

Reviewed 7 November 2013

We just returned back from Barcelona and we stayed at H10 Hotel in Urquinaona Plaza for one week. Really great location as it is less than one min walk to the Plaza Catalunia, and is directly facing the Metro station. The bus to the Rocca Village outlet mall is just around the block. Modern decor and extremely charming. The staff are very friendly and gave us excellent recommendations for dining. The double room we were given was not spacious and we would have preferred that there is a space to accommodate the luggage in the room. I would recommend the hotel for couples/business and friends.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Comercial_HUP, Director Comercial at H10 Urquinaona Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Dear Nadine,

Thank you so much for the time used in writing your comments about your stay with us.

All our Hotel Staff is glad to see reviews like yours and to know that your stay with us were so nice!!

We are looking forward to welcome you soon!!

Thank you so much and kindest regards!!