“good staff, poor management.”

Hotel Royal Passeig de Gracia
Ranked #77 of 521 Hotels in Barcelona
Manchester, United Kingdom
“good staff, poor management.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

I have to say that I was not impressed at all with this hotel. I was there for a long weekend from thursday to monday. I wanted to try this hotel since it was new and the location was amazing. I come quite often to Barcelona.

Rooms are new but it does really look cheap; the furniture, the colours. I don't call it "design" its just looks cheap and boring.

The breakfast room also looks cheap.The tables, the chairs. "worse than Ikea" Not very high quality.
My room wasn't cleaned very well, the garbage in the room was not thrown away twice. Towells missing.Amnities not amazing. the showers where badly designed .

The tv got blocked every once in a while. It was anoying because I would have to call the front desk everytime for these things and sometimes you just felt like relaxing.

In a hotel of this category and with that many rooms I would expected more staff. I saw only one girl in the whole afternoons and one bell boy.Everytime you had to ask something there was only one person the same person. Unfortunately I did not take her name. Haven't seen a sight of a manager during my stay. I also saw a lot of young girls in training.Like another client say'd in these same reviews so many young trainees comes as cheap.

I saw the receptionists getting the luggages many times for the guests and heavy ones! At check out time where the reception got really crowded and the bell boy could not handle all the luggages, the girls at the reception had to come out of the reception to help the clients carry their bags or putting them aside for them to leave while there were many people waiting. It was a caos in the morning.

I think you should hire more staff.

For what is worth I think the girls at the reception were great, the location good, but I will not come back because I do expect more of a new 4 star Hotel in Barcelona.

1 Thank Jonathan S
Pepe F, Director General at Hotel Royal Passeig de Gracia, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear Jonathan;

On behalf of Royal Passeig de Gracia Team I want to thank you for your comments and suggestions.

This information is useful for us because it allows us to continue improving to achieve excellence in serving our customers.

We deeply regret that your stay at our hotel has not lived up to your expectations and would have been very useful for us to know it when you stayed in our hotel, so we have helped you in everything you needed.

If you decide to return to Barcelona, please let me know and I will assist in everything you need in your stay.

Manager Hotel Royal Passeig de Gracia.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Zürich
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

We stayed one night in a "deluxe terrace" on a brief weekend visit to Barcelona. The Hotel is in a very good central location, just a few meeters from Casa Milà (La Pedrera). The neighborhood is very safe and many of the main attractions are in a walking distance. The area also has some of the best restaurants in the city.

The Hotel itself is brand new. I am told it used to be a bank, and the architecture is quite interesting and minimalistic. The lobby is quite small but stylish, and on the second floor is a cool bar/lounge area next to the "business center" (they even have new iMac's) . The roof terrace was closed while we were there, but it supposedly has great views of the city.

It is all very stylish and well designed, but if you look closely you can tell by the craftsmanship that it was done during an economic downturn and a few corners where cut.

The room was lovely. Immaculately clean, bed comfortable, new HD flat screen TV with Android entertainment center (did not use, but possibly good if you have kids), light and airy with huge balcony. The bath and shower room was incorporated into the room with a big window joining the two. Very cool. For privacy there was a curtain you can lower with a push of a button. The lighting was also good, low floor lights with motion detectors and such and other fancy pancy stuff you normally see in five star hotels.

Room had good facilities, including coffee/tea, safe, minibar, robe and slippers, toothbrush and tooth paste, etc. We half expected there to be a "turn down" service, but alas, that did not happen.

Breakfast was very good. Eggs, bacon, beans, sausage, toast and a good verity of juice, perfect for a slightly hung over middle aged man like myself. Good choice of bread, ham, salami, cheese, yogurt, fruits and cereal for a more healthy companion.

Service was good although a bit inexperienced and perhaps too engaging at times. Gabriel (I think that was his name) was excellent and so was reception. We checked in early, no problem, just wait 30 minutes while we get the room ready. He offers to take our bags to the room when it is ready. We go to an organic bar around the corner (recommended by reception) and when we come back 30 minutes later, everything is ready. Later when we checked out, he approached us and offered to store the bags for us. Our flight was at 19:50 and the plan was to ask if they could store the bags. Nice when your needs and desires are anticipated. Good service.

It is not perfect by any means. Shoddy workmanship, the eggs and bacon where cold and one of the toasters in the breakfast room did not work. What can you say? I read some of the negative comments here and do not agree that the hotel smells, has bad WiFi (worked for me), staff rude, or not worth the money. I have stayed at four star dumps that cost more than EUR 185.00 a night.

Great value for money. Will stay again.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank William H
Dear Mr. Helgason;

On behalf of the entire team of Royal Passeig de Gracia, I want to convey our sincere thanks for taking your time and explain to all readers of Tripadvisor your expertise in our Hotel during your stay in Barcelona.

These assessments help us to know that our daily efforts in each of ours departments they are reflected in customer satisfaction and above all help us to continue in improvements to offer all our customers the best experience in their stays in Royal Passeig de Gracia.

If you return back to Barcelona, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards.

Prague, Czech Republic
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

First and foremost the location makes the hotel a great place for a Barcelona weekend experience. Room are spacious, very clean, modern. Staff friendly. Did not take the breakfast since there are plenty of café close-by for half the price and local/cosy atmosphere.
Not a big fan of the "glass" door of the toilet (dark, no worries, but does not close completely (that's where design and practicality split apart)).
I would have rated it very good if I didn't have to fight with the air co/heating (and I lost!) which made the stay in the room somewhat unpleasant without fresh air. You can't open the window.
For a brand new hotel, I was a bit surprised by the sound proof walls (or not sound proof). Wasn't a problem as such, the kids next door slept well :-)

Room Tip: Slept in a room facing the courtyard. Very quiet. I suspect all room have the same airco/heating sy...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christophe B
Dear Mr. Christophe;

First of all, I just want to thank you for taking your time and explain to all Tripadvisors Members your experience in Hotel Royal Passeig de Gracia during your stay in Barcelona.

As you mentioned, our location is right in the same Passeig de Gracia, the best boulevard of Barcelona, next to La Pedrera, Casa Batlo of Gaudi and the best brands. We are really happy that you like our service and the size of our rooms.

Thank you so much also for your advisors, they are very helpful for us to improve every day and offer the best service in our hotel to all our guest.

If you decide to come back to Barcelona, please do not hesitate to contact with me again and I will help with everything you need.

Best regards.

Tbilisi,Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

The location was great, only. The wifi is really poor. The staff were very unwelcoming (only Marc was helpful). comfortable beds. the window dont open and i'v suffocated without fresh air. could be a little more clean. room not really a 4 star hotel amenities very basic.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Pepe F, Director General at Hotel Royal Passeig de Gracia, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear Customer,

On behalf of Royal Passeig de Gracia Team, I want to thank you for your comments and suggestions.

This information is very useful for us, it allows us to continue to improve to achieve excellence in serving our customers.

We deeply regret that some aspects in your stay in our hotel has not lived up to your expectations and look forward to serving on future occasions.

If you decide to come back again to Barcelona, please do not hesitate to contact with me and I will help you with eveything you need.

Sincerely.

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

Just few minutes to metro and Casa Mila. Excellent location for shopping. But there is no window in my room to watch outside. Only one pair of slippers provided and no electronic pot for hot water. Very good overall.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Samuelcheung
Pepe F, Director General at Hotel Royal Passeig de Gracia, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Dear Samuel,

Thank you very much for spend your time and sharing your lovely stay at the Hotel Royal Passeig de Gracia with all users of Tripadvisor.

The whole team is very pleased that you enjoyed your visit with us to the city of Barcelona.i would like to comment you that we have Kettel Service included in tall teh Superior rooms, but others can be rented at reception with a very economical price.

If you want to return to the Barcelona, do not hesitate to contact with me again and be a pleasure me to help in any way you need.

Regards.

p.fuxa@royalhotels.es
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

I was staying in this hotel on the business trip. Very good location, you can walk to many tourist and shopping areas. Hotel is good and clean, with modern design. There is a terrace with apparently views of Barcelona, but on the first day we wanted to try it after work - it was closed ( i think it was at 18:00 ) and next time we tried - it was closed for some improvement, so can not comment.
If you are travelling not alone and staying in room with someone - check if shower is separate! I am not sure if they do have room with separate shower - however, in my room basin and shower were right in the room, not separated by door ( bathroom is - thank god ! ) - but by totally transparent glass. So if you are with someone who is not your very close person ( or even with children), you probably better not to stay in such room :).
Otherwise, personnel was nice, recommended good restaurants nearby and helped when needed, breakfast standard, location perfect !

Room Tip: As I said - check if room has shower separated, if you need it. Some rooms face street, but noise...
2 Thank June999i
Pepe F, Director General at Hotel Royal Passeig de Gracia, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Dear Guest;

Thank you very much for your nice words about your stay at the hotel Royal Passeig de Gracia. As you inform to the Tripadvisors Users, we have various types of rooms and bathrooms in each of the them, some of them very focused on customers who come for leisure with your partner to the hotel and also from other rooms with bath completely hidden to keep your privacy if you want in the room.

From our Front Desk Department, assign all customer preferences tell us in their reserves and also advise and recommend the best room at the time of their arrival.

Thank you very much for your stay with us and hope to see you again soon at the Royal Passeig de Gracia.

p.fuxa@royalhotels.es
Elviria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

I was in Barcelona on business and the wife pleasure (not sure that´s fair) so like the gentleman i am i decided to offer her the choice of where we stayed, she chose this new modern hotel.The hotel is well located,rooms are modern,large TV would have been a nice way to chill if they had installed some interesting channels, in a way the hotel is a little strange, it would even have the potential to be a 5 star hotel if they had made the right choices, from design it´s a super modern boutique hotel, however, some of the fixtures and fittings are cheap, i swear i was looking at the floor in breakfast room for two days, i could´t decide whether paint had been spilt or it was the design of the floor tile, either way, the floor was very poor, tiles cut wrong, no polishing, looked like a building site! The staff made a big effort to be friendly and the reception has potential, however, they had many young people learning the trade, for me this always comes over as being cheap, don´t get me wrong the young need opportunities too, especially in jobless spain, it´s just that they are mainly kept away from the front line, here you had the impression that they where simply thrown into battle without real guidance.

The one thing that really irritated me was the wifi , the admin had been over zealous in blocking anything to do with the word ´bet´, (as i was their for a betting and gaming conference this was a bit of a disaster), many hotels try and interpret laws that they don´t really understand, especially in France, i can only assume the owners are French!!

In summary, the hotel is nice enough, genuine 4 stars, some things need improving but i,m sure they will get around to it, i would stay there again!

1 Thank Antony S
Pepe F, Director General at Hotel Royal Passeig de Gracia, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Dear Antony;

Thank you very much for the time you spent to send us your feedback during your stay at the hotel Royal Passeig de Gracia.

The entire team thanks you for your opinions for improvement and in many of them we are already working on it to give a better quality and service to our clients during their stay at our hotel to enjoy the city of Barcelona.

Thank you very much for recommending us and so that we can look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel very soon.

Pepe Fuxà.
Director Hotel Royal Passeig de Gracia.
p.fuxa @ royalhotels.es