“Visited Olivia Balmes and was extremely pleased”

Olivia Balmes Hotel
Ranked #15 of 512 Hotels in Barcelona
PA USA
“Visited Olivia Balmes and was extremely pleased”
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I recently stayed at the Olivia Balmes Hotel in January to visit my daughter in Barcelona. I was only staying for the weekend, traveling solo and had never been to Spain.
First, the hotel is centrally located, close to transits, cafes', Las Ramblas, and many other parks and locations.
Second, the hotel was spotless. The design of the hotel is boutique like and modern/sleek. The rooms are layed out very different and can be disconcerting at first. A glass partition seperates the shower/bath/bidet from the rest of the room but it works nicely with the space.
Toiletries and amenities are provided and the beds were extremely comfortable.
There's a bar /restaurant in the main lobby that serves good food and splendid cocktails, (had a delicious cosmopolitan)
Third, the hotel staff couldn't have been more friendly and helpful. Lenin, who greeted me at the front desk after a long transatlantic flight, made me feel welcome and pointed out places I could visit after freshening up....a great tapas bar was what I needed.
My daughter and I spent a lovely weekend in Barcelona and Olivia Balmes was the perfect place to stay.
In the future when my husband and I visit Spain, we will be staying in the Olivia Balmes.
Only this time my visit will be longer than two days....I found Spain, the food, the people, the architecture and Barcelona to be beautiful!

Room Tip: I was on the fifth floor which looked out over the restaurant, view was nice. Some rooms have a bal...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank SMP65

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Paris, France
Reviewed 21 January 2014

We spent 2 nights in this hotel - Good location in the city. Nice design in the rooms, very convenient at the use even if having the bathroom first may be disturbing at first glance; finally you can split with the rooms thanks to nice rolling doors. Most of all the rooms are really clean and quite.
The people at the desk are really helpful and completely focus on service to customers. Take the full breakfast event if the eggs could be warmer.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

Spent 4 days at this hotel, found it based on a Tripadvisor. And it was a great experience.

But let me start with the Con's.

The layout of the room was not to my liking. The bathroom is not separated from the rest of the room. OK, the toilet is, but the sink is in a hallway. DIdn't like it. And, there is no tea and coffee making facilities.

Nnow the Pro's.

New, well kept hotel, very efficient (and quiet, almost stealth) roomkeeping. Didn't aet at the hotel so I cannot comment on food.
Location is perfect - 25 min walk to the Sagrada familia, 15 min walk to the Plaza Catalunya, 5 min walk to the Passeig de Gracia (main shopping street). The hotel is located very close to many main attractions, but still not in some too noisy street.

But what really, I mean REALLY sets this hotel apart is the front desk staff. They are so eager to help you and so efficient and knowledgeable, that they would be my prime reason for returning to this hotel.

And, if you come to Olivia Balmes - do try to get a room on a higher floor(s) - it is true, you can feel the underground. I was on a 5th floor, and I'm a light sleeper, but could sense it only while I was awake. But I'm not sure how would it feel on a 1st or 2nd floor.

Room Tip: Go for higher floors
3 Thank DenisRi
Zele, Belgium
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We searched for weeks at tripadvisor and bookings.com for a nice 4 or 5 starts hotel for a good price. All the hotels had some bad comments, or people not friendly, or an old hotel looking hotel with bad food.
This one, had non of them, so I had to try it out.
And it was perfect, the rooms are very nice and clean.
We had a double room with a terras. The bed was great, the television was a new one, and big enough with USB connections, so we could look our own movies.
The douche was also great, it was a raindouche, with enough pressure for the water.

We tried also room service, great service, for not much money.
The breakfast was nice, there was al lot to choose from, from english breakfast to spanish. Everything was fresh, and even 5 minutes before closing time, they were filling up the food.

The reception was also friendly, and they were giving us all the information we wanted about Barcelona.
On the top of the roof, was a swimming pool, a very beautifull one! But this time of the year it was cold. So we didnt used it.
The location of the hotel is also very good, it's one block away from the ramblas the catalunya, and only 5minutes of placa catalunya.

So this hotel, made our visit to Barcelona great!!!!
We are coming back ;)

Room Tip: we had a double room with a terras on the back of the hotel, the room was very quiet.
Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

-Friendly and helpful front desk staff
-Room was perfect spacious clean and modern
-Good breakfast and you can also walk around and explore the many cafés around within walking distance
-It's quite close from passage de Garcia we also walked tonal ramblas from there

Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Yasser G
batemans
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Didn't realise this hotel was just 4 months new, and seriously cutting edge Spain, which says it all. Room is spacious and edgey, bet the fashion mags will be all over this one. Shower cubicle opens onto bedroom ( best if you're good friends) and the vanity stand is the prominent entry feature. But it all works and has l.e.d. striplights everywhere. The designer clearly enjoyed this brief. As a functioning hotel it runs smoothly with great humour and passion by the fronto. Breakfast is excellent. Could have stayed here longer. Crowd patrons were high glam ( but couldn't manage a toaster!)
Oh and where else have you seen a stitched leather covered waste basket in the toilet?

Room Tip: #614 has a great view if you need it. And lots of taxis on the doorstep square .
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 6 January 2014

On the second day of my trip, someone stole my cell phone. I was devastated as I had all my personal information on the phone and I didn't know what to do. The front desk people were amazing, they were caring and very professional. Lana (I think was her name) was especially helpful. Rooms are very clean and well designed. I would recommend this hotel without reservation!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel