“Wished I could live here”

Olivia Balmes Hotel
Ranked #15 of 515 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 9 July 2014

First, the room...perfection. Simple, brand-new clean, wonderful beds, sheets, decor etc. the shower is sinfully inviting and if I didn't feel so guilty for wasting water, I may have stood under the rain shower for an hour.

After leaving another hotel a block away because I couldn't deal with the smoke-filled (supposedly non smoking rooms) I was leery that I might have this experience everywhere in Barcelona, but it just wasn't so here. I slept better in the past two nights than I have in years and later than I have in years.

Sitting poolside this afternoon, instead of wandering the beautiful city streets, I feel like this hotel fills the trip with a beautiful balance of inner city resort meets metro luxury. There is no better location to be in my opinion.

One night there was a thunderous rainstorm and to our delight the hotel restaurant had a lovely menu for dinner. I am traveling with a child, so I was so pleased to have this option rather than walk the city streets in search of a table inside, in the rain.

If I may, take my advice...forget the extra 20, 30, 50 euros that you might save at a lesser hotel in the area and book a room here. The difference it will make in your experience will pay for itself ten fold.

I can't find anything to critique because this is the ideal hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank jandaSeattle

Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

I have just returned from a long weekend at the Olivia Balmes. My fiancé and I were visiting Barcelona for the first time and we loved it. The room was great. It was clean and comfortable and had everything we needed. The hotel has eco friendly credentials and we could see why. Everything was very efficient. We couldn't even hear the air conditioning when it was running. The shower was great and the bed was super comfy. The staff were marvellous - very professional, but still friendly and relaxed. They spoke a variety of languages and were very helpful. They even gave us a welcome that included a map of the city and a talk through all the highlights. The breakfasts were lovely and good value for money. The rooftop pool was small, but beautiful and the terrace was a real sun trap. We really enjoyed unwinding on our sun loungers with a drink after a long day of sightseeing.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gillian P
Reviewed 8 July 2014

The hotel is nearby the important touristic location, but also far away from the cheap touristic places. The metro is nearby. Very good service and very friendly stuff. Beautiful cafes and many good restaurants are located around the hotel.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Good downtown location (away from the Las Ramblas crowds but only a short walk to metro stations). Room was high-tech with automatic nightlight when stepping out of bed, and automatic lights in closet and toilet room. Desk staff permitted very early check-in, and were consistently helpful during our 3-night stay. Shower was great (we never had a rainfall shower head before), but the water temperature was unstable and the shower floor was dangerously slippery. Premium towels were large and soft. Europeans apparently don't use washcloths, so we bought some from Corte Ingles store near the Catalunya stop. Toilet tissue was very rough so bring your own. Our premium room was large and included a good breakfast. Room had good cold A/C, and a safe. Note there is no alarm clock in the room. Mini-fridge was completely full of items for purchase, so we emptied and re-loaded it when we checked out. Barcelona was a fun city to visit, but lots of smokers and nothing was cheap.

Room Tip: Leave one of the key cards in the room to keep the AC running while you're away
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I booked this hotel based on the reviews from TA, its a great hotel in a really good position, I booked a room with a balcony which was probably the smallest balcony Ive every had but at least you could open the doors, the views are inland so not much to see other than the backs of buildings, the room was very clean and modern. we had the breakfast every morning which was really good lots of variety coffees, fresh juices, full english breakfast, pastries, Spanish champagne,I think this was 12.75 Euros per day. The roof top pool is a welcomed retreat after a day of sight seeing, but as we went in June this was quite busy and difficult to always get a subbed. You also have a small bar on the roof and very well priced although we did see people taking there own drink up!! The hotel is very central make sure you take a comfy pair of shoes as we walked so much during the 4 day break. Restaurants in Barcelona are fabulous and the food is outstanding and in my opinion excellent value for money. I booked ahead for all the restaurants we dined at, and I have to say we were not disappointed with any of them. I will return to Barcelona as there is so much to see and do.

3  Thank plugster10
Reviewed 1 July 2014

A lovely hotel with a staff of very qualified, friendly, and efficient young people always willing to take the extra step to help out. We enjoyed the copious buffet breakfasts and the sleek design of the rooms. We would recommend !

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank B G
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed for 4 days, surprise visit for Husband without 5yr old twins. Excellent breakfast until 11am. Relaxing contemporary hotel. Beautifully clean room. Had very good advice from concierge about restraurants. Lovely peaceful roof pool. Excellent location, 10 min walk and you are outside Gaudi's house, 5 min later you are at Las Ramblas. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014