“Good enough when there's no choice”

Hotel Zenit Borrell
Ranked #325 of 515 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 22 July 2013

The hotel is in a quiet location, yet still not far from the city centre (just 1-2 subway stops, depending on where you need to go).

Overall this is by no means a bad hotel, but if you book well in advance you can get a much better hotel for the same money or less.

The soap problem (where it disappears every other day) described in previous reviews is persistent.

Breakfast was ok, but nothing special - nothing that would enhance your morning mood, which in my opinion is one of the main functions of hotel breakfast ; )

Room Tip: Don't take the smallest rooms, they really are incredibly small. It seems like the bathrooms in...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 July 2013

The hotel was booked for me for 1 night close to the unversity and hospital clinic. It's modern, clean, comfortable and a great place to get a good night's sleep. It's also close to a metro station though I was lazy and took taxis (25 euros from airport). There's no downside here- recommend highly

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank KP58
Reviewed 2 July 2013

We came to Barcelona pretty late, missed our train to Alicante and had to find a place to stay at night. That was the only hotel we found around Sants but we loved it. Big and extremely clean room, big porch and unusually good for Spain breakfast :) We loved Zenit trademark and it was pity that all the hotels we booked for our visit were different name.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 June 2013

The room could probably be described as nothing more, nice enough little room but could barely walk around the bed, and it had a window which looked out onto what i could only describe as a prison cell forecourt, with a small square that had no view other than adjacent windows. After waking up in the dark at 9am, I had to open the window and stick my head out to look up four floors to determine if it was a nice day or not. We booked this room through hotwire and at the time of booking we could have booked directly with the hotel for the same price, first and last hotwire users.

Also watch out for the 'city tax' which they sprang upon us having only briefly mentioning something about 1,30 Euro at the beginning of our stay for it to amount to 17 Euro. I would have absolutely no problem with this except it was dealt with in a very sly way.

The little room was nice enough for a 4 star but was difficult to stay in with no outside light and very little room to store suitcases etc. Air con did work and internet was fine, had no issue with cleaners other than opening your door at 8am to clean it, a little earlier for most I would imagine.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 June 2013

I must admit I didn't spend a lot of time at the hotel, and didn't eat whether breakfast nor anything else. My single room was a bit small, but clean and comfortable, and the bed was definitely big enough. In the mornings, I could hear the cleaning staff and other guests very very well, which was a bit annoying. WiFi is for free and works most of the times. The nearest metro station, Hospital Clinic, is a 5 min. walk from the hotel, and it's the blue line which takes you to the Sagrada Familia in about 5 min. Other than that, there's not much to do in the hotel's surroundings. It's definitely not a bad hotel, but I found it impersonal and a bit too expensive for what I got.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank IslanderFM
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Before my stay, I was reading the reviews and I felt a bit put off by the complaints about not getting soap or internet service. BUT, from check in to check out, it was great. No complaints. The room is small, but in tourist countries like these, I expect the rooms to be small. As long as it's clean and renovated, I'm fine with it. The room was spotless and the bathroom was very clean. I felt comfortable. Internet worked fine. The service at the front desk was great as well. If we had any questions they were there to help. The hotel is located close to Hospital Clinic Metro on L5, about 7-10 min walk. It's not right around the corner, but it's decently close. It was easy to get around from the hotel. I'd recommend this hotel for a visit to Barcelona.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2013

The hotel is located on a side street outside of all the action. It has a very modern feel on the inside and was overall a good stay. The value I paid for two nights was average (could have probably found something a little cheaper), but the bed and room were comfortable. Two quirks I had, though: 1) the A/C wasn't working when the temperature became warm in mid-April, 2) the housekeeper threw away my bar of soap and did not leave a replacement. Fortunately I had my own soap, so I didn't have to beg the front desk (as another review had to do). There was a large window that faced a playground in the back, so it was a pleasant awakening with light and happy children playing in the yard. It is several blocks to a Metro station and a little further from some of the bars and clubs.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo