“FIVE Star All the Way!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #71 of 522 Hotels in Barcelona
Mission Viejo, California
“FIVE Star All the Way!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

If modernisme is your goal and luxury is your style ... look no further than Casa Fuster! This hotel pays attention to detail and it is evident in every way imaginable. From the room amenities to the most perfect breakfast; from the superb location to the amazing staff - every second of our stay here has been memorable! (Come on ... a Pillow Menu with SEVEN choices??) We have had a dream vacation in Barcelona thanks to Casa Fuster and Ekatarina, Lucas, Xavi & Rodrigo! This staff rocks and we will never forget them or beautiful Barcelona! Look no further and treat yourself to a luxurious stay here.

4 Thank Lalobita

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Waikanae, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

It costs around 25-30 Euro to get to the hotel from the airport. The hotel were kind to let me check in a few hours earlier than their usual 2 pm check-in time. I got what I had asked for, namely a quiet room but for the price, I feel that the room was on the smaller side. Room 417 did have a nice view of the imposing wall of a church like building towering just a few meters away from the tiny balcony, which however I could not access, as the door seemed to be permanently locked.

The interior of the hotel is done well in muted colours and makes for a relaxing atmosphere. The lighting overall is dim which is good, but it was a bit too dim within the room itself. It was rather difficult for me to read the fine print under the air conditioning control switch. One feature which although making for a nice touch, I found irritating and even a bit dangerous, were the tiny halogen reading lights with swivel arms, located just above and to the side of the head-end of the bed. If one forgets they are there and tries to jump out of bed suddenly, as I did on two occasions, one gets a nasty knock on the top of one's head.

I certainly found the hotel staff most helpful and pleasant but what spoiled my stay at the hotel somewhat, was the far from ideal situation in the bathroom. There was a hole and a long crack in the ceiling in the bathroom which is really not a good look for a classy hotel. To make matters worse, the glass shower stall surrounding the bath tub is not properly sealed off from the rest of the bathroom, so one steps into a large puddle of water as one steps out of the bathtub. Finally, another criticism I have is in regard to the hand basin. It is too small and the tap located relatively high, with the result that one ends up splashing a lot of water around the sink, each time one washes ones face. My irritation has to do with the mopping up operations I had to do both in the bathroom and at the wash basin, each time I had used them. I have stayed in many hotels over the years, this is the first time I have experienced this particular problem to the extent I did during my stay at this hotel. The hotel really need to seal the shower stalls properly and do something about the small hand basin.

As advertised, the hotel is certainly located in an impressive historical building having a nice facade. On stepping out of the hotel one can just continue walking down the "Passeig de Gracia" and onto the" Ramblas" in the Gothic quarter, so all the best shopping is there. I snagged a nice pair of jeans for 15 Euros in a sale, one can indeed buy fashionable clothes in Spain. Spanish cuisine is just great and the quality of the coffee in Barcelona is generally pretty good too. No wonder it was my third visit to the great city.

Gaudi's "Sagrada Familie' is also within walking distance from the "Casa Fuster" hotel, however the construction cranes are still there around the great cathedral helping renovating it, as they were over ten years ago when I was first there. I ended up not photographing the cathedral because of the construction cranes being there.

The "Casa Fuster" is a really nice hotel to stay in, but I feel I could just as well have stayed in a different hotel in the surrounding historically important areas, specially in the Gothic quarter, the area I most liked to walk around and be in .

Room Tip: It always pays to ask for a quiet room
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

I checked in after a disappointing experience at a different Barcelona hotel and was pleasantly surprised at how the Casa Fuster did everything right. They upgraded me to an incredible suite with phenomenal view out the window and balcony. They acknowledged my anniversary and birthday with a cake and champagne with the names on the greetings done correctly. They had all my pre trip request done in terms of room and pillows. The roof top deck/slash bar/tiny pool was a nice retreat although pool is awfully cold, This was made up for by great in bathroom jacuzzi. Breakfast was done the way it shoudl be with great choices and a pleasant attitude. Concierge and front desk staff seemed pleased to help. Ate dinner in gourmet Galaxo restaurant and they were also very accommodating. Food was great.

Room Tip: Room 509 has a phenomenal view up the street all the way to the sea.
1 Thank Jonathon G
Madrid
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

Just the building, a modernism premises, is terrific. The entry, the reception, the penthouse, the facade are wonderful, and the feeling of being there sleeping is unique. Rooms are very well furniture, all of very good quality, even the amenities in the bathroom. Perhaps rooms are a bit small, but they have all you can need, even a desk, and you feel very comfortable since you cross the door. People in reception are kind and very helpful trying to do everything to do your stay in the hotel and in the city more pleasant. The hotel is located at the beginning of the Gracia Neighbourhood, which is the current cool area in the city, with very lovely places to eat and shopping. Moreover there is a walking distance to the Paseo de Gracia Shopping area with its expensive boutiques. I definitely recommend this hotel in Barcelona.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank mistralksk
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

Good welcome, reception, bar, terrace and breakfast

Some staff members not very accommodating to simple demands. Eg for some reason all 4 got twin single beds instead of king/queen side beds. We asked and we got ignored with quite an attitude.

The bedroom was ok but some features were old and tired, specially the shower/bath. All the silicon was peeling and black with fungus growing on it. After out experience with our first request we didn't even bothered asking.

I go to Barcelona frequently but I won't stay there for sure.

Cgs

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Carlos G
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

We were staying at this location for 3 nights as a couples trip for my husband's 40th birthday. We found the staff to be very lovely and accommodating. Considering our Spanish was poor at best, their English was excellent. They were more than happy to answer any questions relating to the local fare. Our keen interest was in finding the very best in restaurants and the staff pointed us to very good locations. The price of the hotel was very good in terms of value...we were looking to stay in a 5 star hotel and Casa Fuster is definitely a 5 star hotel! The room was also very nice. Everything we needed and the hotel staff accommodated anything we were missing. The location of the hotel is pristine and central in a very key shopping area that is on the higher end. The metro stations are within walking distance and again centrally located. We spent a lot of time researching prior to the trip and read a great deal about awareness to local pick pockets. Although we took all the suggested precautions, we never felt unsafe walking at anytime of day in this area. We have two small children who did not come with us on this trip, but we would have no hesitation in bringing them in the future.

1 Thank Sara Y
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

It was a pleasure to check into this hotel, it is in the middle of town, the staff are excellent (to the point where they warn you of the MANY pickpockets in Barcelona) and the service is first class.Our room included breakfast, and it was a superb. BUT it is in an old building, and the train subway goes under at least part of it, so that our room which was situated on the outside corner of the building got a constant rumble from the subway throughout the night, as well as horrendous traffic noise from cars and motorbikes (especially the motorbikes which are just a constant noisy swarm all times of the day and night). I have stayed in many hotels worldwide, and I can say that our room (no 312) was the noisiest hotel room I have ever stayed in.To add to our worries the silicone seal on the shower screen had failed where the screen met the top of the bath tub, and after 1 shower the bathroom floor was awash. Went to ring reception, and the phone didn't work. So we put up with these shortcomings for the 2 nights we were there (hotel was full in any case), and complained at checkout. Got the standard European excuse, it's an old building and has no sound insulation, sorry for the inconvenience. A real pity as, this is not a cheap hotel, but I would choose my room very carefully in future (if I ever stay there again!!). Maybe there are rooms that are not noisy.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the traffic, and not over the top of the underground rail.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple